Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will a 63 lower inner nose strip fit a 67
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Will a 63 lower inner nose strip fit a 67 Reply with quote

As you can see my lower inner nose strip which holds the front kick panels was removed and not replaced by my body guy over 13 years ago when replacing both the drivers and passengers floor sections. It was mentioned in another thread as I haven't installed Clara's panels yet and didn't spot that missing. A member reached out to me with section from a 1963 bus and it looks similar but I need to know if I should take it or wait till I find a section from a 66-67 bus. I can't imagine how I'll cut that strip out or if I'm wasting time with the process. Should I should just weld in a strip of metal?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 63 lower inner nose strip fit a 67 Reply with quote

I believe that inner lower nose strip is a part of the floor. I also think that your floor is supposed to sit on top of those bumps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 63 lower inner nose strip fit a 67 Reply with quote

Do you have a pic with the floor mat out so we can see what is going on with your floor?

Burlyhammer is correct. Lip is part of floor.

If it was my bus I would possibly redo the front floor. It will fix both issues you have. A pic of floor would really help that decision.

Last edited by type241 on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 63 lower inner nose strip fit a 67 Reply with quote

Does not look correct at all. I'm looking through the build threads for a floor so I can figure it out. Not going to use any of the offered 63 I think I need something else.

Ugh.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 63 lower inner nose strip fit a 67 Reply with quote

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 63 lower inner nose strip fit a 67 Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
I believe that inner lower nose strip is a part of the floor. I also think that your floor is supposed to sit on top of those bumps.

Everett picture shows LG's floor is correct for bump location.

Linda you could buy the right side patch, use the channel and throw the rest away.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 63 lower inner nose strip fit a 67 Reply with quote

The cab floor replacement panels from 13 years ago aren't quite up to par with what is available today. I recognize that patch piece. As previously mentioned, I would consider replacing that side of the floor again if you want to be truly happy with the bus.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 63 lower inner nose strip fit a 67 Reply with quote

Yes as I recall that lip I need was not on the WW replacement piece I purchased in 2008 and good to know they make them correctly now. Wow great pictures thanks folks and now it is so clear to me. I will eventually replace that piece but not in the near future as that will push the project back another 13 years. It will be bothering me until I make the repair but to keep me from being disapointed and slowing down anymore progress I am going to be grateful for answers.

This pic is in the gallery from 2003 WW floor replacement piece. Although he says it has the lip for the kick panel it appears he is incorrect. I guess now when we see bus repairs we can figure what year & company the replacement metal came from.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=44035

Okie Adam wrote:
The cab floor replacement panels from 13 years ago aren't quite up to par with what is available today. I recognize that patch piece. As previously mentioned, I would consider replacing that side of the floor again if you want to be truly happy with the bus.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 63 lower inner nose strip fit a 67 Reply with quote

With the screws that hold the kick panel and the heater grate holding/aligning the panel I don't think you even need that lip. If it bothers you to see gray then you could put white electricians tape or tan masking tape along the bottom of the kick to fake the lip look.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 63 lower inner nose strip fit a 67 Reply with quote

Thanks BarryL, that is exactly what I will do Wink

BarryL wrote:
With the screws that hold the kick panel and the heater grate holding/aligning the panel I don't think you even need that lip. If it bothers you to see gray then you could put white electricians tape or tan masking tape along the bottom of the kick to fake the lip look.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 63 lower inner nose strip fit a 67 Reply with quote

Also the headlight bucket will hold it in alignment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: