Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

aircooled body air intake rust
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: aircooled body air intake rust Reply with quote

the stock method for dealing with rust below the air intake vents seems flawed: hope it doesnt rust down there, factory put a small bleeder hole.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

anyone done anything back here to help with rust prevention? a shelf of some sort to divert water or something?
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: aircooled body air intake rust Reply with quote

Bump.. am I blazing ground here?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: aircooled body air intake rust Reply with quote

Well, I don’t have any rust issues in that area , yet, on my ‘84.
I think the drainage plus air flow constantly drying, both intake in , and hot air rising after shut off of the engine keep it drier than one would think.
Strong paint layer, with a spray coating of body cavity wax on top of that once you’ve sanded the rust spots you currently have. Treat the spots with converter before priming and painting?
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: aircooled body air intake rust Reply with quote

Buses had the same design. Luckily the battery got moved out of that spot with the vanagon. It used to really rust in the r/r corner.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: aircooled body air intake rust Reply with quote

there is NOT ANY RUST in there in that picture... at least from my north eastern eyes that's near brand new in there... find something else to worry about it'll (possibly) outlive you.

charleslabri wrote:
the stock method for dealing with rust below the air intake vents seems flawed: hope it doesnt rust down there, factory put a small bleeder hole.

anyone done anything back here to help with rust prevention? a shelf of some sort to divert water or something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: aircooled body air intake rust Reply with quote

all the rust is right at the drop point.. the vw engineers made the X pattern there where the pic is for water drainage.
rust is between the seam on the panel in the back of the channel

danfromsyr wrote:
there is NOT ANY RUST in there in that picture... at least from my north eastern eyes that's near brand new in there... find something else to worry about it'll (possibly) outlive you.

charleslabri wrote:

charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: aircooled body air intake rust Reply with quote

k- makes sense. Will do

jlrftype7 wrote:
I think the drainage plus air flow constantly drying, both intake in , and hot air rising after shut off of the engine keep it drier than one would think.
Strong paint layer, with a spray coating of body cavity wax on top of that once you’ve sanded the rust spots you currently have. Treat the spots with converter before priming and painting?
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: aircooled body air intake rust Reply with quote

It is interesting to see that drain hole in the X. The later vans do not have a hole there from factory. On My Van with AC I did put a hole there to drain condensate.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: aircooled body air intake rust Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

You're probably right on the aircooleds, and for the left side on watercooleds, but the wbx's had a blocking panel on the right side that mostly closed it off. On those its common to see lots of debris and moisture accumulate there, especially the 2.1's which ducted engine air all the way thru. The 1.9's had an intake air horn that pulled from behind the blocking panel so at least the engine air flowed thru to help dry that area, but it became a mostly stagnant dead-end with the 2.1 wbx's.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: aircooled body air intake rust Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

You're probably right on the aircooleds, and for the left side on watercooleds, but the wbx's had a blocking panel on the right side that mostly closed it off. On those its common to see lots of debris and moisture accumulate there, especially the 2.1's which ducted engine air all the way thru. The 1.9's had an intake air horn that pulled from behind the blocking panel so at least the engine air flowed thru to help dry that area, but it became a mostly stagnant dead-end with the 2.1 wbx's.
My blocking panel had rotted away by the time I got this Vanagon. But, the sheet metal was still pretty pristine, all things considered.
I didn't know VW deleted the drain hole, not sure if I have one[ I don't think I do], in that X stamping section. Maybe they were worried about paint not holding well to the sharp edges of the hole versus no hole at all, with water draining through all the time...... Confused Confused
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: