Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remote Starter for Vanagons?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Remote Starter for Vanagons? Reply with quote

I often find myself working alone on the van and wanting to turn over the engine while I'm monitoring something in the back.

I'm wondering if there is an agreed upon remote starter that works well with Vanagons. I don't think I've ever seen one mentioned here on this forum and searching provided nothing useful.

Remote starters are probably universal but I don't know that...

Thanks,
Mark
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Starter for Vanagons? Reply with quote

Since it is just a push button involving fairly low current it is pretty easy to fit one.

I added one many years ago when I first encountered the 'hot start' issue as I found it would work the starter when heat soak prevented the usual (long) circuit from working. Once that was proven I added replaced it with relay to do the same thing. This was pre-internet but later found out the relay was a common fix.

A handy area (for me) was the forward right corner of the engine bay as that is a short run to both a power source and the starter connection.

I found it handy (on another car) to wire it so I could crank the engine w/o starting (by having the key off) as this was sometimes useful while working back there. Just place the button where you are unlikely to hit it by accident.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Starter for Vanagons? Reply with quote

Remote starter buttons are sold everywhere and any one can be used on any conventional starter motor. The tricky part of V-gons, especially Syncros, is how hard it can be to get one clip onto the solenoid trigger connection. I add a short wire permanently to that connection, with an insulated connector on the free end, and tie it off in the engine bay, so my connection point is always handy.

Use the alternator B+ pole for the power source, it's direct from battery, unfused, always hot.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Starter for Vanagons? Reply with quote

Mark Lewalski wrote:
I often find myself working alone on the van and wanting to turn over the engine while I'm monitoring something in the back.

I'm wondering if there is an agreed upon remote starter that works well with Vanagons. I don't think I've ever seen one mentioned here on this forum and searching provided nothing useful.

Remote starters are probably universal but I don't know that...

Thanks,
Mark
Try to buy one with a shield around the button.
The plastic shield prevents unwanted engagement of the switch if you drop the remote switch and the button was to hit something, engaging when you didn't want it to...... Shocked

Well, apparently only Snap On got sued over them.... Confused Confused OTC version with no shield...

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-3650-Automotive-Accessories/dp/B002YKFA3G

Snap-ons' latest version is available in 3 colors[ wow ,I feel slighted with my non color choice version from the '80s... Wink Wink Wink ]
MT302BR is their part number. I've never killed the one I bought in the late 80s, so if either the OTC or the Snap-On are as good, it should outlast you.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Starter for Vanagons? Reply with quote

I got a Actron remote starter starter from local flaps. Somewhere around $12.00 pistol grip, works well for me as i mostly work alone
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Remote Starter for Vanagons? Reply with quote

IIRC, some older VW's (Mk1 - Mk3 ? Maybe even some Audi's ?) use the same starter solenoid connector as the Vanagon. I installed that connector on the remote start switch I made.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: