Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cylinder head recomendations
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: cylinder head recomendations Reply with quote

I'm preparing to get my old "hot rod" motor out of mothballs. Was originally built in the 70's, Gene Berg welded C/W crank (69 mm stroke), lightened 8 dowel flywheel, polished and balanced rods by Berg, 87 mm pistons and cylinders, dual Zenith 32 NDIX carbs, mild cam (don't know the exact specs, but it was a SCAT cam) Looking for suggestions on cylinder heads. Not concerned about high revs, looking more for driveability.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: cylinder head recomendations Reply with quote

you'll want to find out exactly which cam you have, and what its specs are.

but for a small somewhat mild motor like that, some GOOD 35x32 heads will run out awesome. If your cam is on the slighter hotter side, then some good 37x32 heads would let it breath a bit more.

I'd contact Performance Workshop/Steve Tims heads and tell them what your combo is

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1069091

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: cylinder head recomendations Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. The prices look pretty decent for what I probably need. I know the cam was pretty mild. When the motor was originally built (not by me) it had 92mm pistons, hogged out head ports, and a wilder cam (IIRC it didnt run out of breath until almost 7000 rpm). The cam i used when i rebuilt it (only really used the crank, rods and flywheel) was definitely a notch below that, maybe the mildest Scat sold. Anyway, I'll measure it up before I spec out the heads. Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: