Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

So I have a high top 1973 Wild Westerner type 4 with a 1700 and dual 40 carbs. Last summer I drove it to Shaver lake about 5,000 feet above sea level. It started running terrible, not wanting to start and when it did I had to keep the RPM high for it to stay on. When I went down the hill the bus ran great. I have to take the bus to 8,000 feet in a week. Do you think this is a fuel mix fix? Or am I missing something ?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you Very Happy
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

Hello,
The air is thinner up here... You are running rich, would be my guess. You may have to open up your air mixture screw(s), a bit?, too compensate....
I live at 8,000 ft (+), there is a slight HP loss at this Alt. It just comes with the internal combustion engine. Re-jetting helps if you live up here...
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

So is this something I should do before the trip or as soon as it starts to run crappy Mad ? At sea level could you tell if the carbs are set at a point that 8,000 would be ok?
Thanks
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

—-
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

you are way rich
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

bustedtype2 wrote:
So is this something I should do before the trip or as soon as it starts to run crappy Mad ? At sea level could you tell if the carbs are set at a point that 8,000 would be ok?
Thanks

You could try and read your plugs after a long run on the hwy. Plug color is hard to read with today's fuels though. You could also try and find someone with a air/fuel ratio meter and see how rich you are running near sea level. If you are running something like 12:1 at sea level you will be running 9:1 or so at 8000ft, which would be very rich.

At 8000 feet you could set your timing quite a bit ahead, maybe try 35° BTDC @ 3800+ rpms, hoses off and plugged. That will probably gain you back a lot of HP and responsiveness.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

5000 feet is nothing here in California. If it were 10,000' - 12,000' then it might be quasi-normal behavior but at 5,000' it should run and idle as well as sea level. I don't know how un-synced carbs might mis-behave at altitude. It might make the sync issues almost unbearable, I don't know.
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

Just drove the bus to work. Yes it’s hella flat in Fresno Ca. The bus runs like a champ! If I was running rich would I be smelling gas or poor MPG?
Thanks to everyone trying to help me.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

Took my dual carb 356 from WI (1100 ft elevation) to CO two years ago, up to 10 K ft in the mountains. Lost about 15-20% power at high elevations with crappy idle. Was in a group of 15-356’s. Some screwed with the jets, carb adjustments etc.
One guy went to a respected shop in Denver & had jets changed for elevation, dam’n near burned up his motor when came down to lower elevations and switched back to normal jets and then did what I did ‘lived with it’.
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

Thanks Slip
My bus runs so bad at 5,000 it stalls out. I wish it was just a loss of power. Going to try and lean the carbs. Now which screw is it on the carb? Anyone have a good picture of a Solex 40 carb?
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

Hello,
Slip356, is on to what will happen if you re-jet for high Alt. and then take it back down too low Alt. =(lean).
You would want to do any adjustment up here, then readjust when heading back down.
I know a lot of people used too use an fuel additive (oxydizer) in their race bikes when coming up to the motocross, to get around the re-jetting.
Where are you going, the upper-Yosemite?(Toualame meadows).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

bustedtype2 wrote:
Thanks Slip
My bus runs so bad at 5,000 it stalls out. I wish it was just a loss of power. Going to try and lean the carbs. Now which screw is it on the carb? Anyone have a good picture of a Solex 40 carb?

You would need to rejet to a smaller size and not just turn some screws. This would include the main jets and the idle jets. You want to take only small steps, only one or two jet sizes to start with and one step at a time once you are close. Keep good records of where you started and the results you get.
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

Going from Fresno to Wishon Dam for a camping trip. Last time I drove to Shaver lake at 6k feet. It was just before Shaver when it started choking and died. It seems like a fine line between adjusting and replacing jets. I may do a practice run to shaver to see how it goes.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

You are too rich or unsynced. We aren't talking a racing engine here where we are looking for perfect power at 5000 feet and perfect power at sea level. An engine that is properly jetted at Fresno will run fine at 10,000 feet but with a little loss of power. ALL internal combustion engines lose power at altitude because the air gets thinner unless that engine is super charged. I've owned many carbed cars and been at sea level, below sea level like death valley and at 11,000 feet in the Sierras with them. They run fine at all altitudes. If they don't then there is something wrong with the sync or the mixture is too rich. In fact, if you are having this problem, put a sniffer on it in Fresno, sync them, and dial it in properly. You'll pick up power in Fresno and run right in the Sierras. One does not make power by adding more fuel than the oxygen in the air can support. If it is choking at 5,000' then it is choking in Fresno.

There are a couple remote possibilities of other things that could be going on depending when it happened and the circumstances. Just because you were at 5,000 feet doesn't mean 5,000 feet caused it. If it did it at the end of a 5,000 foot climb then the engine would be very hot and if you had tight valves that could cause it. If for example you have something other than factory pushrods using .006" clearance then they could be too tight. Once the engine cooled it would have run right. Another cause can be icing. On the long climb you could have run into carb icing which made it run badly. Once the car sat 10 minutes it would have run fine. Timing way too retarded could cause it because engines need a little more advance as the altitude increases, but that is a really long shot and your timing would need to be way off.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

bustedtype2 wrote:
Going from Fresno to Wishon Dam for a camping trip. Last time I drove to Shaver lake at 6k feet. It was just before Shaver when it started choking and died. It seems like a fine line between adjusting and replacing jets. I may do a practice run to shaver to see how it goes.

"Adjusting" is fine tuning the base idle mixture and nothing more. Once the throttle is opened 1/16" you are dependent on the jets and the idle adjusting screws will do next to nothing.
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

When this happened it was a summer day and it was at the top of the 4 lane a vary steep grade for about 15 min. So ya at first I thought it was hot. It died and we pushed it off to the side. Waited 5 min and it started but rough. I made it to the lake and fished for 7 hours. The bus had trouble staring and had to rev the engine to get out of the place I was in. As I drove home the lower the altitude the better it ran. When I was on the valley floor it ran like a champ. So I don’t think it was the heat after resting 7 hours.
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The day in question.
Thank you for all your help.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

bustedtype2 wrote:
Just drove the bus to work. Yes it’s hella flat in Fresno Ca. The bus runs like a champ! If I was running rich would I be smelling gas or poor MPG?

Running towards the rich side will give good power and after a point cause gas mileage to drop. Go 10-20% richer as you go up in elevation and you could be puck rich.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with my type 4 bus at high altitude. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
bustedtype2 wrote:

Running towards the rich side will give good power and after a point cause gas mileage to drop. Go 10-20% richer as you go up in elevation and you could be puck rich.

agree - the description is an engine that is sp far to the rich side so that when it gets to elevation the mixture moves from puke rich to puking rich. He should be getting 18 - 20 MPH around Fresno if he is in the average mixture range, however if the carb jets are right but the idle is unsynced and poorly tuned, it could want to die at low RPM but run Ok once the throttle is kept open. It is a lot harder to jet carbs once one starts monkeying with them than many imagine it to be, and lots of old wives tales where engines run best.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: