Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Baldwins 2020 Summer Trip Report- Wandering Oregon and Idaho
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Baldwins 2020 Summer Trip Report- Wandering Oregon and Idaho Reply with quote

Another interesting fact about Wallace, ID is that fire fighter Ed Pulaski led many of his fire fighters to safety while fighting the Great Idaho Fire of 1910. He was based in Wallace and much of Wallace burned. He eventually invented a fire fighting tool named after him, the Pulaski.

I read about that in a book covering two disasters in the PNW in 1910: the Idaho fire and the deadliest avalanche that took 96 lives. Stories of tragedy and heroics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Pulaski

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/1910-stevens-pass-avalanche-still-deadliest-in-us-history/

The book...
https://www.amazon.com/Northwest-disaster-Avalanche-Ruby-Hult/dp/B0006AXI9E

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Baldwins 2020 Summer Trip Report- Wandering Oregon and Idaho Reply with quote

Great trip report! Awesome photos and writing. I loved following along on your adventures. Great looking van too!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Baldwins 2020 Summer Trip Report- Wandering Oregon and Idaho Reply with quote

The hardest part of girls is that the magical bond you have as a Dad from 0-14 slowly evolves to a new bond between them and Mom in which you have a limited share. Itís so powerful, that you are in awe of it, but itís normal to have some jealousy and feelings of loss.
goldtooth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Baldwins 2020 Summer Trip Report- Wandering Oregon and Idaho Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Awesome trip report, thanks for taking us for the ride Smile

Regarding Wallace, ID, the movie Dante's Peak was filmed in that town - last year on our way to Yellowstone we drove trough Wallace and my youngest son immediately recognized it (there're some references to the movie in-town but are not obvious).

I love how you use the iOverlander app to find free (and awesome sites), my wife usually likes to get reservations (state or national parks) in advance to eliminate the stress of finding a place to stay, but it seems you had usually several options to chose from, is that correct?

The stress used to bother us a bit but now we enjoy it. Not to be said that there are not stressful times looking for camp especially if we have the twins with us but it always works out. Saving the $25+ on camping every night helps us extend our trips and keep cost down. And we really prefer camping in a quiet area without generators, barking dogs, and people in general.
nate
instagram - nate_baldwin and thatbaldwinlife
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goldtooth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Baldwins 2020 Summer Trip Report- Wandering Oregon and Idaho Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The hardest part of girls is that the magical bond you have as a Dad from 0-14 slowly evolves to a new bond between them and Mom in which you have a limited share. Itís so powerful, that you are in awe of it, but itís normal to have some jealousy and feelings of loss.

We have 4 girls in all (22, 19, 15, 15) and I have had a very strong relationship with all of them but you are correct on the bond with Mom. Ours was a little later in life mostly after high school. It has been great to watch that relationship blossom for them.
They are all quite the handful though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Baldwins 2020 Summer Trip Report- Wandering Oregon and Idaho Reply with quote

Thanks again for that great report, Nate. It's restorative just to look at your pics and read your commentary.

Pretty funny that the favorite pic in this collection is the Culvert Convo.

And nice to hear from from another Dad with Daughters.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Baldwins 2020 Summer Trip Report- Wandering Oregon and Idaho Reply with quote

Great trip report, Nate! You've triggered memories of my wife (then girlfriend) and I going through Lowell and the Stanley Basin in our '57 Chevy half ton with hippie made cedar camper on the back!

There was a fabulous little restaurant on the main drag where we got pie and coffee run by two elderly women. It was built with lots of maple plywood and aluminium fitiings - it looked like the inetrior of a fifties Airstream - and it was pristine!

I might have to go back and re-read Appaloosa Rising! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goldtooth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Baldwins 2020 Summer Trip Report- Wandering Oregon and Idaho Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Great trip report, Nate! You've triggered memories of my wife (then girlfriend) and I going through Lowell and the Stanley Basin in our '57 Chevy half ton with hippie made cedar camper on the back!

There was a fabulous little restaurant on the main drag where we got pie and coffee run by two elderly women. It was built with lots of maple plywood and aluminium fitiings - it looked like the inetrior of a fifties Airstream - and it was pristine!

That truck sounds pretty cool. Any pics?

nate
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Baldwins 2020 Summer Trip Report- Wandering Oregon and Idaho Reply with quote

goldtooth wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

There was a fabulous little restaurant on the main drag where we got pie and coffee run by two elderly women. It was built with lots of maple plywood and aluminium fitiings - it looked like the interior of a fifties Airstream - and it was pristine!

That truck sounds pretty cool. Any pics?

nate

It really was but sadly, no. That was long before diigital photography made snapping pix a moment to moment occurrence. I think we only knew one person with a camera back then and developing costs were pretty high for us.

It was a blue short box with a Pontiac 261 straight six in it, a '59 4 speed with granny and a highway diff (3.90?)
Cedar camper with cedar shake roof on screwed and glued built-up plywood frame with a really nice acrylic/painted 'stained glass window' rear doors. Maiken went around the truck hand painting beautiful little scenes on the gas cap, radio block-off plate, etc.
I'll have to try to dig up that photo!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: