Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

1977 camper, FI

I bought a muffler from Bus Depot which over a short amount of time (<200 miles) started to get louder and louder. It is a pace setter exhaust system, which is now dis-continued. Too loud to drive through any neighborhood without getting dirty looks

I would like to get a quiet ninja like exhaust without having to switch out my heater boxes = $, $$$.. My hookup is the 3 bolt flange type

I saw a thread where someone added a glass pack to the pace setter, but really would not want to do that, just looking for a simpler muffler for these things - has anyone found anything. Lot of the threads I found are pretty old.

I see this one.. from bus depot.. anyone get this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am going to talk to a muffler shop, bring my bus over and see what they can do.

Thanks, much appreciated.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

I ran one of those Ansa exhausts on my 1980 vanagon & liked it. I'm getting ready to swap out a clapped out BugPack muffler on our 72 bus (w/ 2.0 engine & late heat exchangers) and was considering getting another one of the Ansa units for it. They seem pretty quiet, but maybe not as good as a German one.

Conrad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

John might have some original German ones. They are very quiet. Ansa is a medium grade import muffler. I've used them on other cars.
John: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1069023
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

Thanks, I just emailed John,
& made an appt with my muffler shop who will look at it, and see what they suggest also as option.

I likely will be getting this...if it is stock
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/contact.php?id=2371416

Does this shape indicate that it is a stock muffler? It has the 3 hole flange.
It looks stock

I have to get some manuals to really know my exhaust system.

Thanks for your help!

Matt
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

Here is a stock setup i pulled from a 1978 engine. Muffler is a Liestritz dated 1983. I still need the short pipe from muffler to the manifold

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

I welded at glass pack on my Pacesetter exhaust and it makes it much quieter. I’d say 95% as quiet as stock, which is as quiet as you will ever get a bus.....

mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

Thanks 69, I think I read a thread where you brought that up

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...982c7f7df3

I will talk to the muffler shop about this, and will bring your pics.

You mentioned " ....and adding a small resonator and additional stinger tailpipe."
what does the stinger do with respect to sound?

When I scheduled the bus for the muffler shop, they said the will be looking to put a resonator on it.. but will have to see the layout that I have...
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

For reference, and spreading the word,

This is very useful for understanding exhausts
First topic links

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8801264
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

If you go back to that first link you referenced, the resonator is the can shaped extension that replaces the original pacesetter tailpipe; most people refer to them as a “glass pack” so I do also. The “stinger” refers to the tip of the exhaust pipe, where I added a baffled inner pipe to reflect sound waves back against and theoretically cancel oncoming sound waves. Sometimes perforated metal cones are used for this purpose, but those can also add back pressure.

The stock pacesetter is obnoxiously loud at full throttle, and the fiberglass packed resonator attenuates a broad range of those frequencies. The longer the resonator, the better, but you’ve only got so much room to work with. If you want a really quiet ride at cruise rpm and load, you could consider a Helmholtz resonator, as those are better at eliminating specific frequencies
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

Thanks!

At highway speeds, the muffler sounds good, but getting up through the gears with increasing rev ( maybe what you mean by full throttle) yes, the thing is a roaring beast showing no mercy to neighbors outside or sleeping babes inside!

Will talk to the muffler shop as to what you did, and your suggestions
I guess you never ran the bus with just the resonator on to see what attenuation further adding the stinger tailpipe provided....(?)
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

Is there a difference between an 071 251 053E and an 021 251 053E? I just scored a vintage Leistritz and the original sticker has 021 then someone wrote the 071 number over it. Is it just a superseded number?

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

good muffler, they probably just misread it, or labeled it as 071 which I think is air cooled Vanagon.
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

So 021 is correct for late bay then? When I searched online most all vendors had 071 part being sold for '78.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
I guess you never ran the bus with just the resonator on to see what attenuation further adding the stinger tailpipe provided....(?)

Yes, I did test with just the resonator and it’s highly effective. I added the baffled tip to the end and it also made it a little quieter, but not nearly as much as the resonator. I also tested two resonators With the second one being 75% longer than the first one) and that made a really big difference but I just didn’t have room to put the second one in place without perhaps curving the pipe up under the battery or something And then put a U pipe on that to turn the exhaust back towards the rear. That would also involve rubber hangers to hold the system in place which adds a little complexity but from my testing of the two resonator system I believe it could be even quieter than the factory set up
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

I ran a glass pack on my 1.9L WBXer Vanagon for a decade and was very happy with it, and have them on other vehicles as well. They seem to hold up much better than conventional mufflers.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

if it has the triangle on the tailpipe end and slip joint on the cat/delete pipe end, it will fit like this. 1977. Same from 1976 to 1982 air cooled. 1975 should be the same too.

mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses, I am getting my bus back from the shop hopefully tomorrow, and see how it is. They put a resonator on, and will chekc the sound... & let you know of the results...
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

Back from the shop, and it is a lot quieter, so still a bit louder than I would like, but I think it is just below the threshold for an attention getter.

Wildthings: Interesting to have only glass pack and no muffler, ... are the as quiet as original muffler?

I have looked a bit for internal baffle inserts only see them so far for motorcycle and truck.

Was the original bus muffler made by Leistritz?

Thanks again,
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Any new/recent suggestions for quiet muffler for mid late bays Reply with quote

Pacesetter with a resonator is still not as quiet as stock setup, but for the money it’s pretty close and it will probably last the life of your bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: