Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 Subhatch Flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Started tackling the icebox this weekend. It looked like they had been using it as a tool box with the amount of dirt... And T and K trim was all a mess... I didn't get a good shot of the T-trim coming out of the door, but most of the bottom door had come out... which meant that they damaged it by repeatedly trying to close it..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before and after shots of the box. Looks like they had something glued in the front of the bottom, maybe to keep things from sliding out because the door didn't latch because the trim was coming out of the door? I still need to figure out how to deal with that...

What's the weird "goo" between the box and the cabinet face? It looks kind of like caulk but it was still gummy and fairly easy to remove. It had picked up a ton of dirt and was pretty gross..

Hinge cleanup... hopefully I'll be able to find someone to re-plate them in brass, along with the door latch. A stainless fine-wire wire wheel applied super lightly cleans off the oxidation. Leaves and interesting copper-ish color. And yes, I am lazy and only whizzed the visible bits... lol

The tray cleaned up pretty well. Any suggestions on adhesive to repair the cracks? I saw the E6000 in the SO42 icebox seal thread... it's that still the best option? There are a few cracks in the icebox itself that will need love too, but they were pretty minor...

and the next questions - about the rack(s) The plastic is peeling off of the one I've got. I saw the Plasti-Dip ReRack that looks like a touch up product. I'd really like ot peel and completely recoat, but I didn't see anything that was purpose-made for that. Is there a good way to recoat?

And is there a source for the lower rack? Mine is MIA.

Last edited by Thompson2 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Almost forgot - does any one repop the door catches for the cabinets? I've got 2 missing (booze cabinet and cup cabinet) and then the 2 missing doors will need them as well... Pretty sure the odds of me finding 4 OG ones in a reasonable amount of time is highly unlikely...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Look into cleaning the hinges in vinegar or ammonia. You will find a lot of information online

. As far as the catches it looks like a wide 5 hubcap clip. I'm not an expert on these interiors though.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the goo is between the ice-box and cabinet, I don't think mine had anything there that I remember.. As for the wire shelf, if you're good with brazing, maybe you could make one? I think the other shelf is the same outside diameter?

The glue marks in the front bottom of your ice-box are from a "dam" that was there so if any of the water dripped out of the tray, it would have another catch basin before it leaked out of the ice box.

Here you can see the "dam", I can get you better pics if you decide to re-make this piece in the future:

Like Squareweave said, those cabinet latches are just hubcap clips. Not sure what they're plated with, but very easy to get new ones (finally, something that is easily acquired)!!! The new ones from WW are black spring steel.

I'm not sure what glue would work best for that ice-box tray..I would probably just put a few drops of super glue in there and be done with it. Those trays are unobtanium so just be careful with it. I don't plan on ever putting a block of ice in mine because I'm sure it would break. I use my ice-box to store dry goods when I'm camping.

As far as the hinges go, when I started cleaning mine and saw that the brass plating goes away so easily I stopped. I didn't want to have to have them all plated again, but if you do have yours plated, I'm sure it will look great and really compliment the interior.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
I'm not sure what the goo is between the ice-box and cabinet, I don't think mine had anything there that I remember.. As for the wire shelf, if you're good with brazing, maybe you could make one? I think the other shelf is the same outside diameter

If you get bored, wanna take a look at that spot to see if you got the same stuff or if I should go renew my tetanus shot... Laughing

I've not tried my hand at brazing, but I do have silver solder...Maybe I'll give it a whirl... what's the worst that could happen? lol I can use the top one as a template and just ignore the cutout for the tray.

Any ideas on how to coat it? Just Plasti-coat spray? Maybe Plasti-dip?

oakman wrote:

The glue marks in the front bottom of your ice-box are from a "dam" that was there so if any of the water dripped out of the tray, it would have another catch basin before it leaked out of the ice box.

Here you can see the "dam", I can get you better pics if you decide to re-make this piece in the future:

Well crap... I was hoping the PO had glued something in... Pics of that would be appreciated. Not sure what it'll take to remake, but I'm 100% sure I won't be finding a replacement...

oakman wrote:

Like Squareweave said, those cabinet latches are just hubcap clips. Not sure what they're plated with, but very easy to get new ones (finally, something that is easily acquired)!!! The new ones from WW are black spring steel.

Daaaang... .never would have thought that something like that would be easy-ish to find... and cheap (relative to everything else in this interior).

oakman wrote:

I'm not sure what glue would work best for that ice-box tray..I would probably look for a plastic specific glue or epoxy of some sort. Those trays are unobtanium so just be careful with it. I don't plan on ever putting a block of ice in mine because I'm sure it would break. I use my ice-box to store dry goods when I'm camping.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for... just not sure exactly what kind plastic it is. hoping someone has had luck with something.. .I'll likely need the same stuff for the "'dam" in the icebox. And yeah... I'm being super-crazy-paranoid-level careful with this thing...

oakman wrote:

As far as the hinges go, when I started cleaning mine and saw that the brass plating goes away so easily I stopped. I didn't want to have to have them all plated again, but if you do have yours plated, I'm sure it will look great and really compliment the interior.

the plating on mine is gone anyway... whatever was there got eaten up by the brown funk on the outside... plus, I'm missing 2 doors worth and the painted versions seem to be more readily available, so replate is pretty much inevitable.... Smile
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Yet another side trip here...

After cleaning water spots off of the paint and glass another vehicle with clay bar, I got a wild hair and decided to try it on the ancient, crusty water spots on the bus glass... figured it was worth a shot. Definitely better than having to replace all the glass just for that...

Spent about 10 minutes scrubbing down a 2x2 section of a flip out window with basically no improvement. There was minor reduction, but it would have taken hours per window to get any noticeable results...so on to the next.

Saw in a couple of places that 0000 steel wool would make quick work of it. Again, hit a 2x2 section, this time with steel wool and windex... nope... a little bit better than the clay bar, but nothing to get excited about.

That was when I remembered the polishing compound that I used on the tatty paint to get rid of the heavy oxidation and bat piss stains. Figured it wouldn’t hurt the glass, so what the hell. It was only 1:00am.. why not?

Hit the same window, but a bigger section (it’s a pain to get just a small bit of compound out of the bottle). Five-ish minutes with moderate pressure yielded amazing results! Cool. I’ll tape off a line and get a nice before/after split shot... nope... despite being painfully obvious in person, water spots are a bitch to capture on camera... so off to the jalousie window right next door... a few minutes of scrubbing and this is what I ended up with.

I really sorry, but I only did then bottom pane... the rest will get done a little at a time... super stoked on how it turned out and can’t wait to do some more. Please ignore the funk in the bottom of the window frame. Haven’t gotten to that yet, although it’s moved up the list since I can*really* see it now... Very Happy

This is what I call results!

And this is what I used to get that. Hope this helps someone out..
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

WOW Thompson2 stunning results, I'm on it now for my fleet Wink thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing all of them done.

Thompson2 wrote:
Yet another side trip here...

After cleaning water spots off of the paint and glass another vehicle with clay bar, I got a wild hair and decided to try it on the ancient, crusty water spots on the bus glass... figured it was worth a shot. Definitely better than having to replace all the glass just for that...

Spent about 10 minutes scrubbing down a 2x2 section of a flip out window with basically no improvement. There was minor reduction, but it would have taken hours per window to get any noticeable results...so on to the next.

Saw in a couple of places that 0000 steel wool would make quick work of it. Again, hit a 2x2 section, this time with steel wool and windex... nope... a little bit better than the clay bar, but nothing to get excited about.

That was when I remembered the polishing compound that I used on the tatty paint to get rid of the heavy oxidation and bat piss stains. Figured it wouldn’t hurt the glass, so what the hell. It was only 1:00am.. why not?

Hit the same window, but a bigger section (it’s a pain to get just a small bit of compound out of the bottle). Five-ish minutes with moderate pressure yielded amazing results! Cool. I’ll tape off a line and get a nice before/after split shot... nope... despite being painfully obvious in person, water spots are a bitch to capture on camera... so off to the jalousie window right next door... a few minutes of scrubbing and this is what I ended up with.

I really sorry, but I only did then bottom pane... the rest will get done a little at a time... super stoked on how it turned out and can’t wait to do some more. Please ignore the funk in the bottom of the window frame. Haven’t gotten to that yet, although it’s moved up the list since I can*really* see it now... Very Happy

This is what I call results!

And this is what I used to get that. Hope this helps someone out..

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BTW I originally thought the glass you cleaned was removed, that's how good a job you did.
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
WOW Thompson2 stunning results, I'm on it now for my fleet Wink thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing all of them done.

I know, right??? I hit the rest of the jalousie last night. I did notice that on the first pane there was still some light spotting so it can (probably will) take more than one application to get it all. In most cases, it was just places that didn't quite get as much attention the first time through.

Next problem is the brown "funk" on the inside edge of the sill. I've not seen corrosion on aluminum that's quite this consistency before. Hit it with 00 steel wool and it really didn't make a dent in it. I can go down the sandpaper route, but that will likely lead to a more complete teardown and cleanup that I'm not wanting to go through just yet... Any ideas on what it is? And maybe a gentle way to remove it? This pic is after about 10 minutes of scrubbing with the 00.

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

The glass turned out sweet!! Looks like you have a good formula going. Water spots can be a nightmare. I've soaked them with clr and then scraped with a razorblade with ok results.

I'm not exactly sure what the "funk" is in the window frame, but all of the ones I've dealt with had it to some degree. Just part of the oxidation maybe? It will come off with enough effort. When I did the windows on my old Alabama Camper, I disassembled them and scrubbed all of that stuff clean with sos steel wool pads. Scotchbrite pads with varying degrees of harshness may do the trick too.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
The glass turned out sweet!! Looks like you have a good formula going. Water spots can be a nightmare. I've soaked them with clr and then scraped with a razorblade with ok results.

I'm not exactly sure what the "funk" is in the window frame, but all of the ones I've dealt with had it to some degree. Just part of the oxidation maybe? It will come off with enough effort. When I did the windows on my old Alabama Camper, I disassembled them and scrubbed all of that stuff clean with sos steel wool pads. Scotchbrite pads with varying degrees of harshness may do the trick too.

Thanks! Pleasantly shocked. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. Laughing and yes, I too loathe water spots. I was already shopping around for all new glass, which makes this all the nicer. I’d give this a shot to finish up your windows. It took every trace of the spots off... the real test will be my mother in laws Hawaii car they periodically hosed down with hard water from the hose then let it bake in the sun... Brick wall

I’ll try some scotch brite on the sill.. not quite ready to go all-out on it, just want to make it a bit better.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Looks like new glass Thompson2, excellent job and when you figure out how to clean that nasty aluminum at the bottom I'll really be impressed as I have the same problem on my Westy and short of taking the entire jalousie apart I can't figure it out either. I am getting a feeling you will find the magic trick Wink

Thompson2 wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

I know, right??? I hit the rest of the jalousie last night. I did notice that on the first pane there was still some light spotting so it can (probably will) take more than one application to get it all. In most cases, it was just places that didn't quite get as much attention the first time through.

Next problem is the brown "funk" on the inside edge of the sill. I've not seen corrosion on aluminum that's quite this consistency before. Hit it with 00 steel wool and it really didn't make a dent in it. I can go down the sandpaper route, but that will likely lead to a more complete teardown and cleanup that I'm not wanting to go through just yet... Any ideas on what it is? And maybe a gentle way to remove it? This pic is after about 10 minutes of scrubbing with the 00.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Have you tried using WD-40 along with the steel wool?
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

zozo wrote:

I have not and thanks for making feel like a dope... Laughing I do that all the time for cast iron tables on old tools... never even crossed my mind.. d'oh!
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
zozo wrote:

I have not and thanks for making feel like a dope... Laughing I do that all the time for cast iron tables on old tools... never even crossed my mind.. d'oh!

I did some old aluminum lawn chairs by that method and they came out great. Jail bars as well.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Ive used 600 sandpaper to remove big oxidation build up. go light then switch to steel wool and polish.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

When my new electric toothbrush brush replacements arrive I'll use my old one on mine.
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

I think you should be able to make the lower rack. Start with a new, off the shelf steel rack for a BBQ grill, take it apart and bend/weld up what you need, then take it and the other one to Portland Powdercoating and have them coated. They will bake the old rack to destroy the failing coating, then blast it clean prior to recoating. They have a minimum charge so take your wheels in at the same time. There is a RAL number for the powder which is apparently a dead-on match for silver white. You could have everything done in that color and it would look great.
I bet you could reproduce the bottom tray by having it scanned and then 3D printed. There are probably a bunch of people who would like to have them. You could be a hero in the VW world!
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Looks like new glass Thompson2, excellent job and when you figure out how to clean that nasty aluminum at the bottom I'll really be impressed as I have the same problem on my Westy and short of taking the entire jalousie apart I can't figure it out either. I am getting a feeling you will find the magic trick Wink

So no magic trick, but it doesn't look like this is corrosion, just some kind of junk on the sill... the reason I say it's not corrosion is because I was able to remove a fair share of it with a razor blade (super dicey.. I don't really recommend that as the chances for major scratches is pretty high). The rest was just some elbow grease and maroon scotch-brite. In this case, I like the coarser stuff because it didn't put a shine on it which would have forced me to clean up the whole damn thing... It definitely left some light scratches, but those will come out when this window comes out for a full clean and overhaul.

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

And now, lots of questions...

I started cleaning up the cup and booze cabinets and found several things that I need clarity on.

1) This "'trim" around the long wall panel - is that welded in or is it made up of separate bolt-in pieces? Mine is about 1/2 gone on the bottom edge. The flip-out window seal apparently leaked for a long time killing both the wood panel and the trim. And part B, are replacement pieces available or will I need to make them (when I get to that point)?

2) The screws that hold the cabinets / bench in - are they all supposed to be the same diameter / length? I have at least 2 different lengths and a lot of them that attach to the floor are rusted beyond saving. The longer one is 3/4" and would punch through the back of a cabinet if it was used on the vertical portion of the bracket. The shorter screw is 1/2". And related to that - the screws on the top of the cabinets - are the screws that attach to the body the same length as the rest?

3) What is the head style for the cabinet bracket screws called? If I'm going to have to order a crap load of them anyway, I might as well get the right style. Short screw on the left was galvanized, the one on the right is chrome / stainless but the head style is the same/similar. [edit]Maybe pan head sheet metal screws instead of wood screws?[/edit]

4) Made in England, sitting in the booze cabinet... I'm assuming these are random leftovers?

5) In the cup cabinet, there's a glob of old glue on the back panel.. is this a DPO add-on that I need to scrape off or am I missing some bit from here?

6) I'm not sure how they even did this, but one of the cabinet catches looks like it was drug across gravel and is pretty well beat... is there a source for replacements? I didn't find anything like it on NLAVW, but I'm hoping there's another source.

7) Last question for today... When it's folder down, the jump seat isn't flat to the lip on the cabinet... am I missing something to support it or is this just how they are?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 31

Jump to: