Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To use the Westy sink easier and save water, a knee switch can be added for hands-free operation.
I did this to an '85 westy I had...... way back i the '90s, and I don't know why it took 20 years add this mod to my current Westy.
It makes washing a LOT easier, you can use two hands and save lots of water.

The switch operates in parallel to the Westy knob, so either switch turns on the water pump equally.

Here's the switch I used.
I'd prefer a black button, but this is what they had.

It's 125vAC 3A.
The pump uses 1.1A @ 12vDC.
An OEM would prefer a bigger switch for 12vDC but you have a whole handful, so if you ever wear this one out, you have spares.

Search for "momentary switch". It needs to be "NO = Normally Open".
There is currently a pack of 18 switches that has assorted colors
WayinTop 18pcs Momentary Mini Push Button Switch Lockless 2 Pins 1A AC250V/3A AC125V SPST ON/OFF 6-7mm Automatic Reset Normally Open Switch (Black/Red/Green/Yellow/Blue/White)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0813871PH/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_HfNGEbG61QP7T

Choose your "Knee location" and drill a 1/8" pilot hole.

Compare the length of the pilot on the spade to the length of the switch.
This is how you know how deep to drill the countersink relief on the inside of the cabinet.

Countersink the backside (inside the cabinet) with a nice sharp spade bit.
You can see I used 7/8".
It needs to be big enough for your vise-gripped switch to screw in.

You can see the tip of the spade bit pilot 1mm below the cabinet face.
This is the proper depth for the switch that I have.

Then I drilled the 1/8 pilot hole out to 17/64 which the threads have a little grip to screw into the wood, and holds "pretty well."
Note the switch body held by the long-nose vise grip.
The switch is easily crushed, be careful screwing it into the wood hole.

-----> It's worthwhile to test this drilling scheme on a piece of scrap plywood before drilling your Westfalia.

Here's the wire to the pump switch.

I used 'advanced methods' to piggyback the new switch wires onto the old switch wire terminals.
I cut about 5mm off the Westfalia wire sheath to make it easier to slide the old pump terminals back onto their spades.

Cool Cool OK hope this helps Samba members to enjoy their Vans!! Cool Cool
We'll all be camping again soon, right? Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

this is a great mod... often wanted a foot switch because the handle is so slippery when hands are wet. but can you hit that switch in between the panels with your knee???!

i'm tall and to do dishes standing kills my back all hunched over. always have to sit on a cooler to clean up. for me, a foot switch might be best. then again, my wife is short so maybe multiple parallel switches including one on the dash just for giggles.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

Years ago I inherited a vintage Italian Necchi brand sewing machine and cabinet. Instead of a foot pedal it had a potentiometer actuated by your knee pushing sideways. I can see a next iteration of this using a variable resistance switch that allows you to increase or decrease the volume of water, just like a faucet.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

Dan you can knee that area and test it.
Or consider it as a perk for your other half.
If you put a switch on the floor, can you get your foot on & off it while hunched over? Probably should test that too.
If a box or a backpack sets on a floor switch you will arrive at camp without water.

When my girls were little they discovered the button and thoght it was a real treat because depending upon what’s in the sink, sometimes it sprays all over and everyone jumps.
That could be why I didn’t add it to my next van right away, then I forgot, and my van sat un-used for several years too.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Years ago I inherited a vintage Italian Necchi brand sewing machine and cabinet. Instead of a foot pedal it had a potentiometer actuated by your knee pushing sideways. I can see a next iteration of this using a variable resistance switch that allows you to increase or decrease the volume of water, just like a faucet.

I have a Pfaff with the side-knee potentiometer.
It works well.
But control is not needed as in sewing.
You’re primarily rinsing, which is easily controlled by blips.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Hot / Cold would be fun though Wink
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

What a great Mod! Way cool!!!

One suggestion for an 'add' would be to find an opposite switch that disables the power to the pump when the lid is closed.

-bobby
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
find an opposite switch that disables the power to the pump when the lid is closed.

Thanks bobby!
Yes that's pretty easy on either side of the hinge.
That would be useful if you have little kids (grandkids?) they LOVE buttons and they watch your every move.
If you ever poke it with your finger, they'll see it and that's all they need to know.

Also important for the "foot-switch" option. I'd set a back pack down on a foot-switch.

izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

Love that knee switch!

I did a foot switch. I tried various plastic ones before I found this industrial strength one. Lives inside the sink cabinet when not in use.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

Really cool mod, would like to make a hands free option.

izzydog wrote:
Love that knee switch!

I did a foot switch. I tried various plastic ones before I found this industrial strength one. Lives inside the sink cabinet when not in use.

Do you have any info on the make/model of the foot switch?
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

I have the Gowesty version and like it a lot. It not only saves water but it keeps the faucet cleaner too by not having to touch it with wet hands.
https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/4209/hands-free-faucet-kit-?v=
My dog stepped on the switch when I first installed it. We had a wet mess when we arrived at out destination! It took me a few seconds to realize what had happened. Now it's always tucked out of the way until I'm ready to use the sink.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have any info on the make/model of the foot switch?

Here's the one I have...

McMaster Carr also has them...

https://www.mcmaster.com/foot-switches
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

You could put adhesive velcro on that and stow it up high on the inside of the cabinet door.
Then you don’t have to dig for it.
When you swing the door open the switch it’s already dug out. Wink

izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

That's an excellent idea.

I ran my tank out of water once with an old plastic foot switch that I was using. Something in the cabinet must have rolled over on it, turned it on and drained my water tank via the sink. I didn't hear the pump running because I was driving.

Good thing I leave the sink drain open!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

I have a Pfaff with the side-knee potentiometer.
It works well.
You’re primarily rinsing, which is easily controlled by blips.

My Bernina has a lever actuated with the right knee that raises/lowers the foot, this leaves hands free to adjust material and lower the foot while holding it in place.

Interestingly, it just occurred to me that I bought that sewing machine in 1990 which is the model year of my Vanagon.

Meet y'all in the sewing circle. Cool

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

Camping in the van for 15 days,,,,, this was a great mod!

But I decided it was in the wrong place because if the cabined door is open
you cant get to the button with your knee.

Dang.

I was concerned that on the other side, that cargo in the van might push the button.
But after 15 days use, I'm sure the central location is better.
I can perhaps add a 2nd switch?
Maybe keep 2 switches, or plug the other hole with a stainless carriage bolt.
Or a Westy screw and grey plastic cap.

SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Knee button to operate Westfalia water pump (hands-free) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I can perhaps add a 2nd switch?
Maybe keep 2 switches, or plug the other hole with a stainless carriage bolt.
Or a Westy screw and grey plastic cap.

I cast my vote for the Westy screw and cap. Definitely not the carriage bolt. Very Happy

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: