Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

One other thing that i've been wondering about is the VDO Oil Pressure Sensor, has anybody ever tried to read this with a sensor without the VDO gauge? If I can make the rest of this thing work I wonder how hard it would be to get oil pressure and maybe oil temp on it too.

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/sensors/pressure-sender-80-psi-warning-contact-7-psi-1-8-27npt-30-23.html for reference Smile

actually just found this article that pretty much sums up what i'd like to do
http://secrettweakerpad.blogspot.com/2012/08/controlling-vdo-engine-pressure-sensor.html

"Growing older, but not up!"
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Shouldn't be too hard - you have A/D converters available. Pass a fixed current through the sensor (such that its full range doesn't exceed the A/D converter input), then use the resulting voltage across the sender to access either a look-up table or do a piece-wise linear approximation to generate the displayed pressure. You'll need to cobb up some compressed air, gauge and an adjustable regulator to do the calibration.

One additional benefit: set up a spare digital output and do a calculation to emulate the idiot light switch - avoids the incorrect pressure setpoint in the VDO sender.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Not a bad idea, maybe if it hits any of these criteria flash the screen: CHT overtemp(not sure what that'd be yet), Oil pressure to high/low, Oil Temp to high. thoughts?

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Keep it up and you'll soon have a full-on modern engine management system... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

That's kinda the idea. So any thoughts on if a carb monitoring system is doable? Using map sensors

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Of course, it's doable - just a question of how many man-hours it will take...
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Well I did find this little doo-dad

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3965

Hook up a tube from it to the carb and measure it's pressure and then compare it to the other side with another sensor, sounds fairly easy for a rough idea. Of course you have no idea how much fuel is getting mixed but that's for another day Smile

and this

https://hackaday.io/project/27569-carbonbal

kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Just for giggles
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Carb pressure sensors Very Happy

bigdaveb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

kerian159,

Have you considered using a Speeduino board with the Arduino Mega 2560? Some of the functions you're looking for are already built into the Speedy board, and you would have a few more I/O points than the UNO. I have one as an ECU for my bus (NO2C variant), and I'm pretty happy with it.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

I've looked into it but I kinda wanted to build my own variant 😃

GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Super cool thread!

Just stumbled upon it... I've been doing many sacrilegious things to my bus.

With my 1.6td conversion ... now getting swapped out for 1.9td aaz motor. I'm in hopes now of integrating all the engine sensors and data via an Arduino Mega then transmitting them to the dash via CAN.

Definitely blindly leading myself through things.

Started by seeing if I could use a 8 channel relay board for my rewiring ... snowballed into arudinos, canbus, raspberry pi and dual screen dash setup. I dunno, guess its an amalgamation of my hobbies lol...

Video of the dash progress (mk2 dash going to be installed).

Link

Recently was playing with the Thermocouple I'm planning to use for mine for an EGT gauge. This video was just me trying to transmit the signal via canbus.... eventually did figure out how to decode it back into readable measure. Haven't done another video yet as fam-jam is crazy busy.

Link

It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

What do you use the relay board for? All I can come up with is using to turn on and off sprinklers:o
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Ok here's the project to this date. I've got all four temp sensors wired and configured and setup a Battery Voltage Monitor. All i've got left to do is get the Oil Pressure and Oil Temp parts wired up (not difficult just missing the temp sensor and psi sending unit)

I'll be putting all of this inside a box sometime next month or so and will update from there Smile

GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
What do you use the relay board for? All I can come up with is using to turn on and off sprinklers:o

It's sitting in my electrical parts shelf... I am not the best planner of these things lol... Shoot from the hip then re-assess lol.

Its an 8 channel, 12v 10A relay board. So I am rewiring my bus and may use it - but the 10A is fairly limiting for most of the relays I need. Trying to see what I can use it for.

@kerian159 - Awesome work! Looks like its going great.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

it's getting there Smile biggest issue I'm running into is project creep, I keep thinking of other things this could do Very Happy

GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
it's getting there Smile biggest issue I'm running into is project creep, I keep thinking of other things this could do Very Happy

That's the definition of my Baywindow Bus experience Smile... Project Creep.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

GfunkBus76 wrote:
kerian159 wrote:

That's the definition of my Baywindow Bus experience Smile... Project Creep.

Very true, I've gone from hey I can get the Cylinder Head Temps on all four Cylinders to CHTx4, Battery Voltage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, RPM, and AFR for both carbs (exhaust is split out already so I'd be able to monitor each side) and i'm pretty sure i've got a few other things I could add. Oh i'm also going to be adding a warning light and buzzer if anything goes out of range it'll inform me (so I won't be sitting there watching it)

Edit: just thought of something else that might be nice. GPS incase the bus ever gets stolen (not sure how to set that up yet more thinking needed)

GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:

Edit: just thought of something else that might be nice. GPS incase the bus ever gets stolen (not sure how to set that up yet more thinking needed)

I have a GPS module arriving today for my Arduino lol... I didn't go for the SMS SIM card one(which you would need for you idea). Just using it for the dash/speedo/time - possibly anyways lol. Just another trinket to play with.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

yeah SMS SIM card would have to be included which would make my phone bill go up even further :-\ but yeah not too difficult to do and a speedometer might be a good addition (not very difficult)

kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Found this to possibly get AFR from exhaust for tuning Smile

https://www.wide-band.com/WB-D1-Wideband-Kit-p/wb_d1.htm

plus the actual sensor of course

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: