Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NF Differential seals
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: NF Differential seals Reply with quote

I have a 1977 010 automatic transaxle. I purchased a Transtar 010/087/089/090 master overhaul kit with the optional seals for the differential side. All of the transmission parts were correct, but none of the differential seals supplied matched. I contacted the vendor where I got the kit and they sent me a list of seals with descriptions which I used to order the correct seals. The replacement seals were identical to the first ones supplied so again, none fit. Is there something unique about the NF differential from other years? The torque converter seal has the correct ID, but the OD is too big. The output seals have the wrong ID, but the OD appears to be correct. Has anyone out there run into this problem?

Last edited by Bonesberg55 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:55 am; edited 3 times in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: NF Differential seals Reply with quote

go here, find the page with the parts you need, find the part, click on it, and get a part number then google the part number. See what is called for. Most likely trans seals will still be a valid part.
http://www.michaelknappmann.de/bulli/michaelk/vw_bus_d/fiche/t200100.html
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: NF Differential seals Reply with quote

Thanks SGKent. I'd still like to know why Transtar & the vendor have the wrong info.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: NF Differential seals Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
Thanks SGKent. I'd still like to know why Transtar & the vendor have the wrong info.

that would be a question for them. All we can do is point you to the correct ones.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: NF Differential seals Reply with quote

090 or 010?

"Growing older, but not up!"
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: NF Differential seals Reply with quote

If you have your old seals go to your local bearing supply or seal supply and they will be able to set you up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: NF Differential seals Reply with quote

I did not want to remove the old seals if new ones were not available. However, since my original post, I used a high magnification glass to read the numbers on the seals. They are VW #s 003519089D and 018409399. I have procured those seals.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: