Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Truck Fridge and Westy fridge relay
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Truck Fridge and Westy fridge relay Reply with quote

I have done some searching and reading and I haven't been able to come to a consensus among the various views so I wanted to toss this on the waters again and see what kind of storm I can stir up.

My Westy is an 82 so it doesn't have the fridge relay behind the driver's seat, it is mounted on the fridge and has a number of different connections for the various 12 volt functions of the fridge (fan vs actual cooling for instance). I know the purpose of the relay is to prevent running the old Dometic on 12V unless the engine is running to avoid running down the battery (82 only has 1 battery) and I just assumed I would include it while wiring up the new truck fridge. However, as I was reading the information on the fridge, it is quite clear that the control board will automatically shut off the fridge if the battery voltage falls below a certain level (11 volts I believe).

I know that I have started my TDI in the van at voltages below a full 12 volts but don't know exactly how far below the 12 volts. So my question does this give me enough of a safety margin without the stock relay? Eventually, I will have a house battery and solar but not in the budget right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: truck fridge and westy fridge relay Reply with quote

Here's my take...

If you're planning to run your TF off the starter battery you'll need to be paying attention and planning to turn the fridge off if the fridge will be running overnight w/out running the motor. Also, you're proposing a risky proposition so I'd strongly recommend carrying a Lion battery jumper with you. Your van probably won't start if you run the batt. down to 11v but it will with a jumper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0748D8KT6/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A house battery will provide a healthy margin of error and only cost $150 or so. The solar gear starts multiplying costs.

How many days do you want to run the fridge on your starter battery?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: truck fridge and westy fridge relay Reply with quote

I guess for right now, I am talking about just camping overnight. I have looked at a small 35 ah sealed lead acid battery that would be pretty easy to fit under the drivers seat. I haven't taken anything out of the van yet as far as putting in the fridge. So I guess what I am looking to really find out is what is the easiest and simplest way to wire the thing up: with or without a relay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge and Westy fridge relay Reply with quote

The Truckfridge will likely run down a normal starting battery faster than you want. At 11.9v your 12v battery will be down to about 40% and at 11.0v that battery is not likely to start anything. You mentioned adding another battery, which IMO is the best solution. I like to have my fridge isolated from the starting battery so that I have one less chance to mess up. 35aH should run the fridge overnight depending on conditions. If its not enough for you then just add more aH or solar.

I would install a new charging relay (yandia or the like) to charge and isolate your house battery. A little more work than no relay but still a straight forward install.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge and Westy fridge relay Reply with quote

Well I guess the best bet will be a house battery. According to TruckFridge:

Average consumption: 40 amps/24hrs at 75° F ambient with an internal temperature of 36° F.

So a 35ah would be adequate for overnight but obviously bigger is always better in the cause of electrical consumption. Will need to measure the available space and find a local source for a Series 31 deep cycle battery which, I believe is the correct size or find some combination of smaller batteries. Not ready to jump into L-ion just yet. Thanks for the help. Hayden
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge and Westy fridge relay Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:

So a 35ah would be adequate for overnight but obviously bigger is always better in the cause of electrical consumption. Will need to measure the available space and find a local source for a Series 31 deep cycle battery which, I believe is the correct size or find some combination of smaller batteries. Not ready to jump into L-ion just yet. Thanks for the help. Hayden

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "...a 35ah would be adequate..." it's not a good idea to drain down deep cycle battery to past about 50% of its capacity. If you plan to only use 40 amp hours, you should get a battery rated at least 80 amp hours. I hadn't heard of a group 31 battery, but I just looked it up. it seems to have about the same capacity as a group 29, but I'm not sure how they compare in physical size. I've had good luck with the group 29 battery. The ones I get at Walmart and have 105 ah capacities. I used two of them connected in parallel so I have a good cushion for my electrical needs, but you could get away with one for your use, it seems. Some Walmarts don't seem to be carrying them anymore, but I've also bought them at NAPA.

Ed
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge and Westy fridge relay Reply with quote

By adequate, I mean overnight, say 8 hours. I have access to a 100 watt portable solar set up which could be used for longer camping but for overnight, I would think 35ah would be sufficient.
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge and Westy fridge relay Reply with quote

Oh, I just read the thread a little more carefully. Remember that a lead-acid battery shouldn't be repeatedly drained down to less than 50% of its capacity, or its lifespan will be shortened.

I might sometimes come across as "anti-solar" in some of my posts on various forums, but I often see people looking to ad solar when they could get by with a good deep-cycle battery and charge it when they get home.

Have you considered a group 29 deep cycle? I got mine at WalMart, but some have stopped selling them. Many auto parts stores have them. Typical capacity is 105 to 115 amp-hours. They're large in physical size. I keep two of them under my back seat.

Ed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: