Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

I have tried searching and all I have found is a ton of confusing information in various threads.

A little help clearing this up would be awesome.
This 3 tab hood with the three holes in the triangle like in this picture
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is it correct that it was used until 52?

And this 4 tab with two holes in the triangle like in this picture

Is it correct 53-55?

Picture credit from thesamba gallery

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

When VW dropped the 4-tab hood they sort of kept it but wrapped the outer emblem around a plastic insert that had three pins underneath it.

These three pins sat on a FLAT section of the hood just like before.

(now, I'm not sure if there was a reinforcement plate totally on the underside on earlier hoods, but as for 60-61, there was not)

Then in early model year 1963, the emblem was re-designed, the 3-pin pattern was slightly enlarged and the area of the hood was "punched up"

This is why the early 3-pin hood may be the rarest of the VW hoods, It lasted from midyear 1961, all of 62 and just a bit into 1963 production year. (same time as the Wolfsburg Crest was dropped)

My 62 did not have the original hood on it when I got the car, it was later and had the larger "punched up" emblem on it. After that hood got damaged, I turned back to my first VW, a later 61 with the correct hood. That is what is on it now and this is what it looks like for the emblem:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

the three tab with the triangular gusset is pre oct 52. then changed to 4 tab with triangular gusset. can't remember when the triangle was omitted...but you are probably correct with 55 (april/may)

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...

Last edited by finster on Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
When VW dropped the 4-tab hood they sort of kept it but wrapped the outer emblem around a plastic insert that had three pins underneath it.

These three pins sat on a FLAT section of the hood just like before.

(now, I'm not sure if there was a reinforcement plate totally on the underside on earlier hoods, but as for 60-61, there was not)

Then in early model year 1963, the emblem was re-designed, the 3-pin pattern was slightly enlarged and the area of the hood was "punched up"

This is why the early 3-pin hood may be the rarest of the VW hoods, It lasted from midyear 1961, all of 62 and just a bit into 1963 production year. (same time as the Wolfsburg Crest was dropped)

My 62 did not have the original hood on it when I got the car, it was later and had the larger "punched up" emblem on it. After that hood got damaged, I turned back to my first VW, a later 61 with the correct hood. That is what is on it now and this is what it looks like for the emblem:

You are referring to the type secured with grooved pins, the OP is talking about the early ones with split tabs that are bent to retain the badge.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

Argh, bugger, you're totally right. I didn't notice I was in a Forum I seldom look at. I'm used to answering this question on the 58-67 Forum. Brick wall

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

finster wrote:
the three tab with the triangular gusset is pre oct 52. then changed to 4 tab with triangular gusset. can't remember when the triangle was omitted...but you are probably correct with 55 (april/may)

Not sure about that. Zwitters had the 3 prong and early VW emblem well into '53. Even though PR says Oct. There is a thread around here on it somewhere.....

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

finster wrote:

i'd say, finster is pretty close, if not correct - pre 10/52 used the solid emblem, had the triangular reinforcement with a 3 tab...

… then, changed to a 4 tab emblem with triangular reinforcement ( that reinforcement used until sometime in 1954) - I can look all this up in Garwood's, Car of the century, but want to spare all the crybabies, the exact details, for now - will look it all up if needed - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

Like I said earlier , there is a thread here with zwitters that have three prong solid emblems stock. Up until Jan or feb.

"i sold my 11/4/52 Zwitter last year and it also had a solid VW emblem...the story i got was that emblem ended with the start of the Zwitter change and some left-over solid emblems made it onto some early 1952 Zwitters." - Zenvwdriver.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

… must admit that a real-practical expert researcher - bwaz shows this 3 tab, solid emblem in his gallery - from when he restored his zwitter - note the indented horizontal line separating the V and the W - according to bwaz this was a zwitter-only solid, 3 tab, with that separation - without that separation, i'm gunna' say, that was an early KDF-dash style, early'52 solid, 3 tab …

… So, i'm gunna' change my opinion - now, gunna say, with a degree of certainty, that the 4 tab began with the 1954 model - will continue my research - having too much fun - z

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

You're welcome. Cool

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
You're welcome. Cool

… Oh, thanks bwaz.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

You can bash me, but I'm here to help you. Cool

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:

... thanks for your (usual) help, Splitdog - i'll keep your kindness in mind - z

... looked in Garwood's volume and (surprisingly) could find nothing about the change from the solid hood emblem to the 4 tab - so, I looked in the bug section at BUGHAUS.COM, where they list the 4 tab hood emblem application from 1953 to 1959 - i'll make that note in my copy of Car of the Century...
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
BUGHAUS.COM, where they list the 4 tab hood emblem application from 1953 to 1959 - i'll make that note in my copy of Car of the Century...

Rolling Eyes

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Splitdog wrote:

... thanks for your (usual) help, Splitdog - i'll keep your kindness in mind - z

... looked in Garwood's volume and (surprisingly) could find nothing about the change from the solid hood emblem to the 4 tab - so, I looked in the bug section at BUGHAUS.COM, where they list the 4 tab hood emblem application from 1953 to 1959 - i'll make that note in my copy of Car of the Century...

... looked at 1953 type 1 for sale, in the classifieds and the perfect picture was shown on 55 SPLITTY's ad - 1/53 zwitter for sale , with a picture of the underside of the front hood - showing 4 tab holes and triangular reinforcement - good enough for me - 1952 zwitter showing a 3 tab emblem as in bwaz's pictures and others.

I'D SAY THE 4 TAB FRONT HOOD EMBLEM BEGAN 1/53 (I updated that info in my copy of Car of the Century) - z

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Splitdog wrote:

... looked at 1953 type 1 for sale, in the classifieds and the perfect picture was shown on 55 SPLITTY's ad - 1/53 zwitter for sale , with a picture of the underside of the front hood - showing 4 tab holes and triangular reinforcement - good enough for me - 1952 zwitter showing a 3 tab emblem as in bwaz's pictures and others.

I'D SAY THE 4 TAB FRONT HOOD EMBLEM BEGAN 1/53 (I updated that info in my copy of Car of the Century) - z

This front hood is 1954 and later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

sweden wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Splitdog wrote:

This front hood is 1954 and later.

So, Sweden - you gunna' just leave me hangin'? - when did the solid, 3 tab type one hood emblem cease AND the 4 tab begin? What makes that a 1954 and not a 1953 front hood? How do you know|? many thanks - z

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

The triangular reinforcement say it all.
The one on our pictures only have two hole and both in same size.

1954 come the tab with 2 hole in same size.
If it would be a 1953 the tab shall have 3 hole in 2 diffrent sizes.
Pre 1953 it was 3 hole in same sizes.

Problem is only what month all the changes come. But soon i have the anwser.

Last edited by sweden on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

Maybe this will help:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1717389.jpg

There's two things we learn from history:
1.) History repeats itself.
2.) We don't learn from history.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 tab hood vs. 4 tab hood clarification Reply with quote

That is waayy off. Restoring a car proper isn't so easy, eh?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: