Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagons in hiding
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radar5667
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

Sad that these 3 Vanagons, a Syncro Westy, and a Bay Window are parked in a private spot and owner not interested in discussing their future. Not able to discuss location. What to do? These are recent photos.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/u]
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

I have the same issue near me. There is a 91 Westy parked in a carport. It's been there for years. In 2013 I showed up to that house and offered $15,000 for it, and the guy just ignored me. It's still there today.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

Not a Vanagon, but this bay has not moved in 30 years. I've left notes in the mailbox, but I don't think anyone lives there...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

I could take you to 2 Bay campers in separate locations that simply sit and rot, year after year after year........ in the Summer they vanish in weeds taller than the Buses are.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

Anyone ever been to Eastcoast Joe's place in Quakertown, PA. Pairs of Syncros in every color just melting into the ground last time I was there.
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

HA, I know exactly where these vans are sitting but my lips are sealed. I sold him the Syncro Westy years ago. Wish I hadnt now of course. Owner is a good guy but obviously does not want to sell. I have tried to contact a few years ago to no avail. Hate to see them rust away.

The Syncro Westy was saved by me after sitting for 11 yrs and now it sits again. Makes no sense.

I know of another Syncro Westy not far from where this is located in the same general area and that owner wont part with it either and its been sitting for 20+ yrs. That one is a rust bucket.

So sad.
radar5667
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

Hey Iceracer, funny that we know the same guy with the Vanagon stash yard. I’ve know him for a good 25 years. He was bidding against me on a Syncro at an estate auction a few years back. Luckily I was able to take home my tin top “Big Stinky” that day or it would have joined its relatives in the above pictures.

I really like the guy, but I’m sad to know that they are there and not receiving the love that others might lavish on them. Maybe one day he will see the light. It took me 20 years of being pissed at myself for selling my old Westy before I saw the light and now have a pair of Syncros to care for. Will not be selling those any time soon.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

Hoarding is a terrible disease.
One look at all those yellow jugs gathered together confirms the story.
They don't sell.
It's got nothing to do with monetary value, they just need to know that it is there, in their yard.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

I used to think that "Hoarding is a terrible disease" was a joke, until a couple of years ago we visited an estate sale close to our home (it was our first one and we thought we might find some camping gear for cheap).

Once we got inside the house, we saw a whole bunch of stuff (boxes, clothes) in the foyer and more stuff (books, DVD, etc) in the stairwell to the second floor (every step was full). Once we entered the living room, the madness started: there was a small trail that crossed piles and piles of more stuff (books, papers, clothes, vases, statutes, anything you can think of) and ended up in the kitchen, with more and more piles of plates, cups, dishes, etc. (the countertop and most of the floor was full on multiple levels).

There was a small door to the garage and I peeked inside, but there were so many boxes (plastic, cardboard) that I gave up (my wife later on asked me if I had seen the lathe inside, I still kick myself for not seeing it).

Up in the second floor, more and more stuff, with several rooms full of clothes, books, and even lots of black plastic bags full with more clothes and other stuff. I seem to remember there was a room that I had to push the door to sneak my head in, and another room that it was impossible to get in.

I keep saying "stuff", not "trash", many items seemed to be unused and in great shape, just all piled together. There were no prices nor semblance of order, seemed like the estate selling company had given up at some point (they were quoting minimum prices at the exit). I could only stay for 10 mins and had to leave the house, was feeling so bad seeing all that disorder/accumulation everywhere.

Outside the house there was a big dumpster, the following day it was full with everything from inside the house (turned out the owner was an old lady with grown up kids with a late hoarding syndrome). I still don't know how she was able to live in that house in those conditions.

levi wrote:
Hoarding is a terrible disease.
One look at all those yellow jugs gathered together confirms the story.
They don't sell.
It's got nothing to do with monetary value, they just need to know that it is there, in their yard.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

I've been in a couple of houses like that. An old professor asked me to move something for a friend of his and we loaded a few things into my truck for the trip but every room in that nice brick house in town was filled to head height with boxes of stuff stacked up and only narrow paths through each room. Never seen anything like it in real life.

Now, to what I thought this thread was about. A neighbor's garage.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

I thought this thread was about vanagons in garages (and yards) of neighbors who you have zero chance of ever buying from because they are afflicted with "vanagon hoarding syndrome ".

Resulting in vanagon DRIVERS being subjected to the cruel torture of watching said vanagons melting into the earth, without recourse.
gonna see life my way

iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

Radar: Great score on the Syncro. I take it you live in the area. I know the area well as I visit there several times a year and have been since the early 1990's. Lots of interesting people there I have come to know.
Maybe we can meet if I make it there in the fall. Love to see your van.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

Tucson is loaded with old VWs just baking away in yards around the city. Bays and westys and square backs and convertible Bugs. Most are so baked theres not a piece of rubber on them that doesn need replacement. I use to run around making offers but now I dont waste my time. Just an add in the CL and an add in the dime and I field all the calls Im interested in returning.

Some folks are sick and others clueless that the vehicle wont be worth money for ever esp. the way desert sun beats down rubber and plastics.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

This guy wouldn't sell any of them, had a plan for every one of them. There was still a field behind that garage with about 10 more and like 4 in the garage.

GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

Surprised my house isn't on here yet. I'm up to 6...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

I think you get tired of people walking up and offering you $500 for your old VW.

I spray them with old transmission oil under compressed air
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

I don't know what you are talking about..
and at last count.. I've lost track

no one has offered $ for any.. and none are 4sale..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I don't know what you are talking about..
and at last count.. I've lost track

no one has offered $ for any.. and none are 4sale..

Yep, I knew it, another sicko. Cool
gonna see life my way

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in hiding Reply with quote

My first car was a Super Beetle (this was 1990) and the best mechanic that I could sometimes get to work on it had at least 30 AC VWs in his yard. The one I remember most was an oval window bug with a tree growing through the cloth sunroof.

He built formula v engines as his “real job”.

It’s near Shawnee Mountain ski resort in NEPA and if any of you makes a move on it please remember that oval window as my finders fee.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: