Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a 411 fastback, recently purchased or other
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor_Anode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Looking for a 411 fastback, recently purchased or other Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was interested in a 411 Fastback that was recently sold in Colorado but I delayed too long. If the person who bought that vehicle is interested in making a quick modest profit, I am interested in buying it.

Alternatively, I'm looking for a 411 Fastback that I can update and turn into a daily driver. If anyone has knows where I might get such a project car, please let me know.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 411 fastback, recently purchased or other Reply with quote

Professor_Anode wrote:
Hi all,

I was interested in a 411 Fastback that was recently sold in Colorado but I delayed too long. If the person who bought that vehicle is interested in making a quick modest profit, I am interested in buying it.

Alternatively, I'm looking for a 411 Fastback that I can update and turn into a daily driver. If anyone has knows where I might get such a project car, please let me know.

There are two in this current classified listings in the Samba....in the US.

One is a 412 four door and one is a 411 four door.

Both are a little pricey...but the 411 if the lack of rust is true....is not bad...except for the heinous two barrel on it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=11

So...what do you mean by "update"?

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Professor_Anode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 411 fastback, recently purchased or other Reply with quote

I was really looking for a project car, not something that has been refurbished to back to factory stock. I don't want to modify a gem, but rather rework a junker.

As for updates, I live in Colorado. If this is going to be a daily driver, it will need more power (after market engine parts) and anti-lock brakes at a minimum.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 411 fastback, recently purchased or other Reply with quote

Professor_Anode wrote:
I was really looking for a project car, not something that has been refurbished to back to factory stock. I don't want to modify a gem, but rather rework a junker.

As for updates, I live in Colorado. If this is going to be a daily driver, it will need more power (after market engine parts) and anti-lock brakes at a minimum.

Very Happy

Actually neither of those have actually been refurbished ro factory.....but I get what you are looking for. No engine.

After market engine build for better hp....not an issue. And at 2200 lbs....with good gearing, it takes a lot less hp to keep up with modern traffic than you think.

With the factory 4 speed and right at 100 hp.....8.0 seconds 0-60 with good tuning is not a problem.
A Raby-esque 2056 in the 150-ish range would bd a blast!

The problem I perceive.....is going to be gearing. The factory 4 speeds are rare....parts are non-existemt and totally different from anything in the fleet.
. And while a well built automatic will hold 200-ish with few problems.....there are few if any other ACVW or Porsche transmissions that will fit into the 411 or 412.....unless you willing to ditch the rear axle beam and put ib a custom subframe with a revamped stock (which was pretty competent) or totally different suspension.

So its going to be tough to get a manual trans.

As for anti-lock brakes....unless goy know some kind of tunahle after market ABS kit or are a wizard at programming ABS syztems.....I dont see that happening.

Also.....with moderate upgrades....I dont see the 411/412 really needing ABS.

The sedans had a kind of stage one.... pre-abs ....anti skid system that actually worked pretty well (PMB performance can rebuild and re-cal yours or let me know if you need help).

Take a look in the classifieds in the Shoptalk Forums....and on ebay.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 411 fastback, recently purchased or other Reply with quote

411 2dr./coupe fastbacks are extremely hard to find! I know where one is sitting in a field in SW Missouri near where I grew up (parent's neighbor), probably rusty as all get out, though.
Losty420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 411 fastback, recently purchased or other Reply with quote

I recently purchased all original 72 2 door 411 d-jet 4 spd manual. Barn find. Iowa car. Not started since 1986. Needs gone through completely. All original. Not sure about my course of action. Big project, but 100percent unmolested. I’ve removed air intake and cleaner just to vacuum out the cavity. Engine not locked. I’ve barely turned it by hand using alternator. I wish I had the time or the space to undertake. Some pics in gallery. Interested?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 411 fastback, recently purchased or other Reply with quote

Wow....overall...pretty nice!

That front rust can be bad...or can be worked around. Its very possible that the main part of it is just the fender...now that I look at it.

There are two issues in this spot...three really.

1. The gas line vent hose always leaks when it rots out. It puts fuel on the vertical seam at the rear of the fender. It causes a common rust line...right hand fender only.

2. That spot down low...collects water, mud and salt.

3. If you also have leaking windshield gaskets...most 411/412 do with age...it rusts from the inside in the corner cavity behind the carpet.

so....you should buy a fender soon when you find one. I looked in the classifieds here but no 411 right front. They come up for sale....so look around. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: