Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fasty88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just been lucky enough to become the new owner of a 1967 VW Variant,
discovered in a shed on the coast of Ireland.
It spent 50 years in the shed after being placed in there as a non runner.

After a couple of days inspection on the motor we managed to bring it back to life, and now the engine is running fine.

I want to work on the brakes now, so where is the best place for me to source top quality brake parts, calipers ect.
Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

I recently bought a bunch of brake parts from VW Heritage in UK. Their prices were good and free shipping deals.
fasty88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Whats their quality like, are they top notch.
Thanks
fasty88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

After a careful 2 day check of the engine, we found the problem that left it in a shed for 50 years.. Small issue that was fixed in minutes.
New plugs and points, and then we tried a start.

And this happened on the first attempt.

Link
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Oh Boy! Post another video of the smooth running engine. Less smoke.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
fasty88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

First start after 50 years was bound to be smokey Smile

But after a bit of running to clear it out, we got to here,

Link
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Just watch the calipers. I only say that as a lot of places here in the states tell you that they have them, only to find out they're for a Ghia, which uses a 2 mm smaller piston in the caliper. While it might not seem like a big deal, that 2mm is 10% of your braking force. I've heard good things about VW Heritage from others in the UK and Europe.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Vw heritage is a quality company.
Finding the best parts is up to you. Often to stay competitive online companies have to sell a range of quality. They may for example sell China made calipers alongside Trw Varga (Brazil) at double the price of the China ones. I've heard the cheap ones are near impossible to bleed.
If you want German calipers and your car only spent 3 years driving then rebuild your own calipers.
Fortunately vw heritage are fairly transparent with their listing's. You might see two listing's for the same product with different brands, country of origin and price.

Or, if you only want Genuine parts and don't mind paying extra for rare NOS parts or high quality used then the only place I know is http://type3headquarter.de/epages/7b2adfc2-5ed3-41...cale=en_GB
fasty88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Yeah rebuilding my own is an option to keep the originality. Thats what I did with my own 72 fastback, I just wanted to get an idea whats available for the earlier squarebacks,

Thanks
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Talking of VW parts in Europe, I found this company via the internet the other day, and they seem to have quite a lot of parts which I hadn't seen listed elsewhere. I have not purchased anything from them to know anything about them - Anyone on here know if they are worthwhile ?
G
https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/volkswagen/
fasty88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

I am looking for a headsup on something I found on the A posts of my 67 squareback.
Any ideas anyone, I have never seen this before, thanks.

BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

fasty88 wrote:
I am looking for a headsup on something I found on the A posts of my 67 squareback.
Any ideas anyone, I have never seen this before, thanks.

Those levers are connected to the seats - so that when the door is open, you can flip the front seats forward for rear seat access; and when the door is closed, the seats are locked upright.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fasty88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Thankyou, I never would have guessed.
fasty88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Do I have to disconnect these levers in order to remove the seat.
I am assuming when the doors are opened that these leavers at the A post havew some movement in them,
can some one describe the movement. At the moment mine are seized, so I dont want to damage anything, or try moving unless I fully understand the operating method of them.

Thanks
fasty88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Have the seats out now, so have a better understanding of the setup. Smile
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Nice find, looks a bit crispy, Good job on getting it running, what’s the structure like?
grenadeAcorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Congratulations on the find!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fasty88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

260KMN wrote:
Nice find, looks a bit crispy, Good job on getting it running, what’s the structure like?

Structure is 100% solid believe or not,

see here,

Link
fasty88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

260KMN wrote:

Its driving now too,

Link
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Irish Barnfind 67 VW Variant (Squareback) Reply with quote

Blimey must have been a dry garage, those inner channels do look surprisingly good.nice one
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: