Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 cooling tins....???
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Missing piece... front left lower. #32 in the picture below.

I am also missing 20 and 21. and my 27 has a square hole that something must attach to cause there are captured nuts on it. in jersey looker I see a square pipe, called a baffle plate, but my front cover plate #9 does not have a matching square hole. what does the BAFFLE PLATE (tube thing) do? Should I get another 27 with no hole or maybe just add a cover plate if it is not gonna do anything.

My 914 does not have 20 & 21. were they on the 72 deluxes?

So any ideas on where to procure these 3?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

#32 goes on the driver side, closest to the flywheel. #27 is the same piece, but on the passenger side. It has a square (open section) because for 72-74 type 4 engines, they had a mechanical fuel pump that attached just below that, where a downward square tube-like piece. I remember how difficult it was to make adjustments and change out that tube section or the mechanical pump because they sit right on top of one another.

The square tube supplied air to the air filter box. I do not know the technical term for these piece.

Note that the square tube piece isn't identified in the exploded view above because that image is showing engine tin for a fuel injected bus. The piece #27 and the square tube you are inquiring about is specific to 72-74 type 4 engines.

#20 and #21 are the sled tins that attach to pieces #32 and #27, along with attaching to the heat exchangers. Please also note that your sled tins for 72 will not have the V-shaped tube shape within them. Those tins (#20 and #21) are specific to fuel injected buses. Those indentions are there for the F-pipes (components for fuel injected bus' exhaust) to attach to the heat exchangers. The heat exchangers for your application do not have these F pipes as the heat exchangers for your year a one piece (the "f pipe" is welded and attached to the heat exchanger itself, versus being two separate items).

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

I think the opening was for carb preheat. If you lack it cover it or replace it with one that doesn't have the cutout.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

good info there gentlemen. So one thing not mentioned.... THis engine came from a 914 and will not have the mechanical fuel pump. And I will be using carbs.

Probably new Weber 40s so I suppose I don't need the square hole.

On the "sled" peices... If I find 72s I will get them, but will 75+ designed for FI work (fit) too?

Thanks,

Clark
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

I would think so, but am not 100%. 914’s have a different oil dipstick setup, but I’m sure you’ve figure that one out already, along with some internal engine differences.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
good info there gentlemen. So one thing not mentioned.... THis engine came from a 914 and will not have the mechanical fuel pump. And I will be using carbs.

Probably new Weber 40s so I suppose I don't need the square hole.

On the "sled" peices... If I find 72s I will get them, but will 75+ designed for FI work (fit) too?

Thanks,

Clark

The square hole is for the preheat duct for the stock air cleaner, if you are using aftermarket carbs block it off.

The sled tins depend on which exhaust you are using, the 75-78 style shown only works with F & U pipe system with the external heat exchangers, if you are using the 72-74 system where the exchangers are part of the head flanges you'll need the flat tin that meets up to them.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

OK, so I basically have a 914 engine that needs a few 72 bus tins.

I will get me a low PSI electric pump with safety shut off for aftermarket carbs.
Gonna use the 914 dipstick and oil funnel. I welded in a 74 engine hatch so I can get to the carbs and the oil (I hope). Have not measured or tested the location of the 914 dip stick to the location of my new hatch... Laughing

I plan to use the OEM HE set up that was on the 72 1.7.

So i will need 72 SLED tins and a #32 and maybe a 27 with no square hole if they are cheap enough.

Thanks for the info, I better get searching.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

Not pictured on the picture of all the tins on the ground..... and seems to be hard to find. The HEAT SHIELD just below the fan and just above the muffler.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

Here's some reading, there's a few ways to fab your own, or at one time someone offered repros IIRC: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

There's a used one in the classifieds, rather optomistically priced IMO: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2390473 Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
Not pictured on the picture of all the tins on the ground..... and seems to be hard to find. The HEAT SHIELD just below the fan and just above the muffler.

I think Bus Depot has repros, if not if you have the brackets it is not hard to make the shields themselves. The ones I have made even are double layered with an air space for insulation.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

Yeah when I found this video and took the screenshot I was thinking of how easy it would be to make one too. It looks like it’s held on in three places.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
Yeah when I found this video and took the screenshot I was thinking of how easy it would be to make one too. It looks like it’s held on in three places.

The brackets are the only hard part, the rest is pretty straight forward.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

I see three attachment points. Right, left and center. All on the tins. Any attachments anywhere else? I got left over panel parts and a welder. From this picture and one of a rusty one in the want ads, I can do it. So keep replying if you have one, and I’ll start cutting.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

Here is one off the bus.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
Here is one off the bus.

That is not the same heat shield as shown in the posts above.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Here's some reading, there's a few ways to fab your own, or at one time someone offered repros IIRC: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

There's a used one in the classifieds, rather optomistically priced IMO: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2390473 Shocked

THis is what someone needs to sell. He can stamp them and DIY assembly.
"Roll your own"

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7689668
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

I now have all the tins mounted.... HEAT SHIELD as well.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:

I now have all the tins mounted.... HEAT SHIELD as well.

Do you have the under cylinder tins? Parts #10 and #(10) in the drawing?
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

I sure do.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 cooling tins....??? Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
I sure do.

Great Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: