Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PeteSC
Samba Member


Joined: January 26, 2011
Posts: 596

PeteSC is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Just curious - is this Westphalia Motors plate from where one would order/take delivery of Westy-outfitted campers in the US, or was the Westy name appropriated by a VW dealer for their dealership? I saw a photo of another plate for Westphalia Motors on this site indicating it was located in Santa Ana, but couldn't find it in the dealer listings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Westphalia-Motors-Vintage...SwtPJfHefb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator


Joined: April 11, 2000
Posts: 63704
Location: Phoenix, AZ
EverettB is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

No, on the delivery of Westy campers in the USA - that would be at the dealership.

As far as I know Westphalia Motors was just the name of a local repair shop in Santa Ana, CA
Nothing officially VW but a cool name and neat that they had license plate frames

More pics:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=westphalia+motors
_________________
How to Post Photos
Everett Barnes - [email protected] | My wanted ads
"Water is the only drink for a wise man" | "Communication prevents complaints"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AC Mack
Samba Member


Joined: October 11, 2007
Posts: 189
Location: Redwood Highway @ N.S.G.W Humboldt Parlour 14
AC Mack is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Westphalia - A region of Germany / place of auto repair.
Westfalia Werks - VW subcontracted to produce the Westfalia Wohnmobil
_________________
1959 Model M1: 118
1964 Model 265
1966 Westfalia so42 Schiebedach
1967 EZ Kamper
1967 Model 261 VG
1978 Westfalia P 31
1987 Westfalia Wolfram Grau
Split Bus Club / Lost Coast Bays / North Coast Vans
__________________________________________
I left years ago, it quite nearly killed me.
_________________________________________
Round The Squares
Always and Everywhere Volkswagen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member


Joined: June 04, 2006
Posts: 1571
Location: Colorado
janerick3 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Deluxe Lowlight Ghia wrote:
Going through some of my stuff today I came across all these key chains from Carter motors in Seattle Washington. I had found them at a swap meet a few years ago the guy selling them said he used to work there and got them from the dealer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I have 2 more of the black leather style ones but only with the vw logo no Carter


Anyone besides me notice something unusual about the VW logo on the key fob in the box???
_________________
Thanks,
Jan K.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nos64notch
Samba Member


Joined: October 28, 2005
Posts: 44
Location: Dahlonega, GA
nos64notch is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Anyone seen this one before?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: April 06, 2006
Posts: 27953
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
KTPhil is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia wrote:
Going through some of my stuff today I came across all these key chains from Carter motors in Seattle Washington. I had found them at a swap meet a few years ago the guy selling them said he used to work there and got them from the dealer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I have 2 more of the black leather style ones but only with the vw logo no Carter


Anyone besides me notice something unusual about the VW logo on the key fob in the box???


Yep, it looks a lot like the year 2020 version... so how vintage can it be?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator


Joined: April 11, 2000
Posts: 63704
Location: Phoenix, AZ
EverettB is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

nos64notch wrote:
Anyone seen this one before?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Since it's not on the dealer page, that's a No from me
I'm going to add it - thanks
_________________
How to Post Photos
Everett Barnes - [email protected] | My wanted ads
"Water is the only drink for a wise man" | "Communication prevents complaints"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nos64notch
Samba Member


Joined: October 28, 2005
Posts: 44
Location: Dahlonega, GA
nos64notch is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
nos64notch wrote:
Anyone seen this one before?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Since it's not on the dealer page, that's a No from me
I'm going to add it - thanks


Thanks Everett
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member


Joined: March 26, 2006
Posts: 958
Location: Arizona
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
janerick3 wrote:
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia wrote:
Going through some of my stuff today I came across all these key chains from Carter motors in Seattle Washington. I had found them at a swap meet a few years ago the guy selling them said he used to work there and got them from the dealer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I have 2 more of the black leather style ones but only with the vw logo no Carter


Anyone besides me notice something unusual about the VW logo on the key fob in the box???


Yep, it looks a lot like the year 2020 version... so how vintage can it be?


yeah janerick3 I noticed that too not sure why its like that

KTPhil are you suggesting I had these made to fool everyone? If I were going to do that I would make Arizona ones not Washington ones
_________________
Hated by most
57 ghia
59 patina ghia
61 double door panel
67 sunroof square
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member


Joined: November 02, 2004
Posts: 17858
Location: Sandpoint, ID
cdennisg is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Thornton wrote:
Cleaned and Detailed this early Eyerly frame put it on the notch

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


The widow of Mr Eyerly is a good friend of my neighbor. She stays here in town occasionally, and I was introduced to her a few years back. She asked if I could find a couple of old VW mags that had featured her husband's oddball car that he had built. Her kids had torn the articles out of the only copies she had. I managed to find one of the two issues a year or so after she asked, and gave it to her along with an Eyerly plate frame I had in my collection. She almost started crying. She wanted money, but seeing her face was payment enough. I still keep my eye out for the other mag, I can't remember the exact name or issue right now.

She was back here in town this spring and I spoke briefly with her, nice lady. Sounds like her hubby was an interesting character. Along with being a VW dealer, he also built cars and flew homebuilt airplanes. Does anyone have any more history of him or his dealership?


So, eleven years later, I get to see Ms. Eyerly again. She is 91 and doing great.

Still wondering if anyone out there knows anything else about the dealership or Mr. Eyerly. He was a pretty popular and interesting man.
_________________
Escalators can never break down... they can only become stairs... sorry for the convenience

-Mitch Hedberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109
Jump to:
Page 109 of 109

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB