Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1998 Cabrio no start issue
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkanely
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: 1998 Cabrio no start issue Reply with quote

Looking for some help!! I’m not a mechanic but consider myself mechanically inclined. I know just enough to get myself in trouble typically. Here’s what I got. I bought a Cabrio for my daughter for graduation this year. It wasn’t starting so I tried changing the starter, then the battery. I checked fuses and even cleaned up the fuse panel. I disconnected the battery and then sprayed electronic cleaner on it. I pulled every fuse out and reinstalled with dielectric grease on it. The car is a convertible and it has leaked. There are signs of moisture issues in the wiring as I replaced the radio and had to replace the main power wire, speaker wires and ground for it to work properly. The car would start on occasion but just not consistently. Now Nothing. Things power up but the engine does not turn over at all. The flashers will actually come on by themselves also when trying to start it. I have a multimeter and know a little about how things work just I’m more of a Construction guy then a car guy. Not afraid of getting dirty just don’t want to waste more money. Anyone know where I should start, and can explain it a little to a newbie to the VW world?
nreslifer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1998 Cabrio no start issue Reply with quote

Also go to forums at VWVortex they have an active water cooled crowd over there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Cabrio no start issue Reply with quote

rkanely wrote:
Looking for some help!! I’m not a mechanic but consider myself mechanically inclined. I know just enough to get myself in trouble typically. Here’s what I got. I bought a Cabrio for my daughter for graduation this year. It wasn’t starting so I tried changing the starter, then the battery. I checked fuses and even cleaned up the fuse panel. I disconnected the battery and then sprayed electronic cleaner on it. I pulled every fuse out and reinstalled with dielectric grease on it. The car is a convertible and it has leaked. There are signs of moisture issues in the wiring as I replaced the radio and had to replace the main power wire, speaker wires and ground for it to work properly. The car would start on occasion but just not consistently. Now Nothing. Things power up but the engine does not turn over at all. The flashers will actually come on by themselves also when trying to start it. I have a multimeter and know a little about how things work just I’m more of a Construction guy then a car guy. Not afraid of getting dirty just don’t want to waste more money. Anyone know where I should start, and can explain it a little to a newbie to the VW world?

Sounds like a bad ignition switch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Cabrio no start issue Reply with quote

My 95 cabrio did this after a transmission change. I ran a wire from starter solonoid to Postive battery post. touch only ...started right up..after a day or two back to normal...you can try that.its been ok mine, for a few months now....Good luck
Bill back on the mainland from PR
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Cabrio no start issue Reply with quote

you just need to get a test light and check all the spots from the fusebox to the starter solenoid...power at fusebox? good? go to key in...good? go to key out...good? go to neutral saftey switch in and out...finally to solenoid itself...if you have power at the solenoid but still wont crank short the solenoid terminal to the battery post with a screwdriver...if it cranks you need a starter booster relay(not factory, something you need to rig up)...if it doesnt you need a starter...try to buy a genuine bosch rebuild (rebuilt by bosch themselves, not a bosch starter rebuilt by someone else)...as the no-name rebuilds are notorious for hot start issues....i dont recall if the seat belt interlock relay on your year just lit an idiot light and a buzzer or if actually refused to let the starter crank...then you'll have to check that the belts are plugged in and check the wires that go to those....and just cause the starters new doesnt mean its not defective...all battery grounds and connections need to be good too
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Cabrio no start issue Reply with quote

Also check all connections..if you have corrosion the starter won't crank...make sure the battery is fully charged as well..also I'm not sure if that starter has a bushing in the transaxle like older VWS..I know some do... I'll check mine and let you know in a day or two..is this car a stick of auto? Some sticks have a switch in the clutch Pedel ....autos have as someone pointed out a neutral
Safety switch... good luck and keep us updated...thanks Bill in VT finally
.yaa
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Cabrio no start issue Reply with quote

I discovered by accident last summer when I had a starting issue w my Cabro that the drivers door has a alarm and that didn't allow the starter to turn over.I cycled the doolock and Walla it now starts normally again..I still have a nice pushbuton in my dash whick I like since it reminded me of my old Desoto..Bill back in the islands till spring (I hope)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: