Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

any guesses as to paint code?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkgeorge_99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: any guesses as to paint code? Reply with quote

So I am trying to guess the paint code... 1973 brazil bus. Looks like respray but underneath new paint, appears to be similar color. I had to do some repairs and guessed it might be L51P Olympic Blue, which is what you see as the lighter brighter paint areas. Not quite as good of a match as I would have liked. Its very likely its not a VW color at all but I thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone wants to hazard a guess. I couldn't find paint code on any VIN tag or marker on vehicle. The molted smurf look is ok for bus but I'd love to have repairs match a bit better as I'm not wanting to repaint whole bus. Any thoughts or ideas on paint code would be appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks to light to be L31 dove blue in my opinion. Perhaps L639 zenith blue but it looked a little to gray. It hard to tell from pictures on the computer.
tkgeorge_99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: any guesses as to paint code? Reply with quote

Couple more pics in sun. Thanks for any help!
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: any guesses as to paint code? Reply with quote

Looks like none of the above to me. You'll have to have someone that knows Brazilian paint colors. None I believe are anything like German vw colors. Even the white colors on Brazilian busses don't look like German white colors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tkgeorge_99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: any guesses as to paint code? Reply with quote

Good to know. I didn't know they used different paint colors... Makes sense I guess. I've been looking at vw paint colors but it just may be that none match. Thx
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: any guesses as to paint code? Reply with quote

If you are just patching parts any paint seller worth a damn will have a camera that can match the color exactly, no codes needed. If your autobody supply store says they can't do it it's time to shop elsewhere.
If you can't get the whole bus there the gas door will do, or sometimes they offer a mobile service that comes to you.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: any guesses as to paint code? Reply with quote

Jerry's paint on fulton ave
tkgeorge_99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: any guesses as to paint code? Reply with quote

Good tip. I ordered automotive touch up paint in spray can for repairs and was hoping to do same with proper color. I'm definitely not a painter and don't have proper paint booth or spray equipment. I was hoping to do it super easy and low budget... With proper automotive paint but in easy application with spray cans. I assume auto body paint shop could match but they would only be able to sell me paint. Not sure if crappy harbor freight spray gun and my compressor could apply it and have it look good. I bought several spray cans for about $50. I was hoping to be able to find a better match., Order up another $50 of paint. Spray it on and be done. Real auto paint , spray guns, etc feel a bit out of my league. I appreciate suggestions
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: any guesses as to paint code? Reply with quote

tkgeorge_99 wrote:
Good tip. I ordered automotive touch up paint in spray can for repairs and was hoping to do same with proper color. I'm definitely not a painter and don't have proper paint booth or spray equipment. I was hoping to do it super easy and low budget... With proper automotive paint but in easy application with spray cans. I assume auto body paint shop could match but they would only be able to sell me paint. Not sure if crappy harbor freight spray gun and my compressor could apply it and have it look good. I bought several spray cans for about $50. I was hoping to be able to find a better match., Order up another $50 of paint. Spray it on and be done. Real auto paint , spray guns, etc feel a bit out of my league. I appreciate suggestions

Jerry's paint on Fulton
tkgeorge_99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: any guesses as to paint code? Reply with quote

I will stop by Jerry's as suggested as she what they can do for me. Thx. Big decisions, do I try and spray myself matching color..... Respray in color that I'd really like(white over dark blue) myself. Or springing for real paint job and dropping more $ into bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: