Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

good 1679 combo
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

hi guys i cam currently building a 1679cc engine for my 68.i will be using the stock 4.12 trans and running 8 spoke wheels with 195 (65?)15s in rear of car.

plans are:
stock crank,rods
stock (or should i go cheater)cam
AA brand thick wall 88s
stock heads
stainless valves from cb performance
new valve guides,springs
stock?rockers with solid shafts
cb performance windage push rod tubes (already have them)
cb slim line oil sump
all stock cooling tin with added venturi ring on fan housing
dual kadrons
034 distributor
older bugpack dual quiet pack
stock or lightened flywheel

this a good enough combo or do i need to change anything?
engine sat in warehouse for 30 years but endplay seems good minus needing a shim but rear main bearing does move at all but i will still inspect stuff.

and it is a dual relief AH case

thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

Parts look good, Walt. Bring me them to me so I can refresh them. You need balancing too?

Take it apart and see what else you have to do.

YOu go where the fish is likely to bite - unknown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

TOTALLY go "cheater".
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

I don't understand why people like 88's.
Years ago, 88's made sense because it was that or 92's.
I built with 90.5s because that was safe, than 92 thick walls became available.
I'm not knocking your choice of 88's,
I want to know why people like 88's
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

no case machining "big bore"

if machining the case is an option, then of course larger pistons would be better.
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

would the 2280 cheater cam be a good choice?i guess use scat lube a lobe lifters?
22manybugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

walter kandetzki wrote:

stock (or should i go cheater)cam
AA brand thick wall 88s
stock heads

Thick-wall 88s require 90.5/92mm heads / machining the stock heads bigger, you can't use unmodified stock heads. The cylinders step down to stock diameter at the case so that the case does not require machining.

If you use a stock cam, then stock rocker shafts are fine. If you go any more on the cam or use a different rocker ratio, use solid rocker shafts.

From AA's website: "This is a set of Thick Wall 88mm Type 1 pistons and cylinders. This thick wall kit has a 4.9mm Cylinder wall which is .5mm thicker then the STD 85.5 kit, giving it maximum strength and and excellent heat dissipation. The kit does require some machining on the cylinder head side. Fits 85.5mm Case 90.5/92mm Bore Heads."

ach60 wrote:

I think the idea of 88s is to get a little more power while keeping most everything else stock (except heads) to keep it inexpensive. The thicker walls makes them more robust compared to thin-walled 88s, which could use stock heads but the cylinders would likely warp. I have not used thick-walled 88s, but seems like a reasonable idea.

1969 Karmann Ghia convertible
1971 Westfalia camper
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

I've been running a thick wall 88mm engine for over 40,000 miles and 8 years.

I use a W-100 cam and have run stock heads for at least 20,000 of the miles.

It's a cheap upgrade since you will need to clean up your used heads. Just have them cut for 90.5/92mm and around 52cc chambers along with a .045-.062 deck and you will have a nice cheap engine. Give it a good valve job and go for it.
I run a .062 deck and 52cc chamber for a 7.8:1 compression ratio. It does have an .010 shim under the cylinders so an uncut case would probably give you somewhere around a .052 deck.
In my experience a 40X35mm valve combo doesn't really give enough gain at stock rpm's to justify the cost.

I had less than $1100.00 in my original engine build. I already had the case, crank, rods and flywheel.

Tim'sACVW built it for me.

It dynoed at 112 whp and 133 lb. ft. of torque at 6 lbs. boost.

It's probably a strong 75 crank hp without boost....although I've never driven it without a turbo on it.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
(Now with Water/Alcohol Injection)
Upgraded to MS-2 Extra direct fire wasted spark

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

I will be building a 78mm x 88mm thickwalls shortly. My own personal engine - big valves, dual Kadrons, header.

Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

walter kandetzki wrote:
would the 2280 cheater cam be a good choice?i guess use scat lube a lobe lifters?

Yes, CB Eagle 2280 is a good choice. You can use the CB orange box standard lifters or the CB lightweight lifters. I would not use the Scat lifters. You need to be sure to get the static compression up around 8.4:1 with this cam.
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

found these cracks after i cleaned them up..guessing they are good boat anchors?

there is a crack only on two cylinders (one per head)

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

A lot of ppl will run heads with a crack between valves and claim it's fine.
A crack between the spark plug and valve is definitely a no-go.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

Those are big valves waiting to come out. Laughing

I will take them heads of you are gonna throw them away.

GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

Seats out, weld em up, big seats back in. Fixable but it does take some time to fix. Just buy new ones.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

If the cracks are the only issue I would look into having them repaired, they don't look bad otherwise.

I'm sure folks here would be happy to have them Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

walter kandetzki wrote:
found these cracks after i cleaned them up..guessing they are good boat anchors?

there is a crack only on two cylinders (one per head)

I think they came from the factory with cracks between the seats Wink
If everything else checks out, you can run them that way with no ill effects.
As others have said, its the crack from the plug boss to the seat or into the port walls that is a problem.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: good 1679 combo Reply with quote

How about hitting each side of the crack using a small, round-tip metal punch to "peen" the gap closed all along the crack length? I realize that the heat of combustion will expand the aluminum anyway so that a peened-closed crack will still open incrementally. But this is something the OP can do at home with basic tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: