Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 540, 541, 542 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
covelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Let us know your solution on that 110V.

Say, I am not sure how well versed you are at dealing with the stench of past mice, so I'll offer what has worked fairly well for me over the years. I use a variety of brand names, but in general, go to the Pet Food / supplies area of your usual big box, and get a pet odor enzyme. I keep a gallon handy, and refill my spray bottle. Over the years, many of my Air Cooled cars and buses had sat and got stinky.

Also, a fair guess that your dash and front blower need to come out and apart to dig out the mouse nest up there? Anyway, don't get your face in front of the vents the first time you fire up your front blower... Just saying from experience, it is not fun.

-bobby

Will do! I was thinking of just modifying a high-quality extension cord.

As for smell, I really don't have any. I have owned the van for about two years and we use it all the time around town and to get to the beach and for short camping trips and not even my picky kids have complained. This is why I think these nests are probably really old. I did have one under the dash too, which I was able to pull out through the ashtray. (One day I will take the dash apart to clean that out properly too).

'72 Bay Window Westfalia (with 2L AVP engine and dual solex carbs) -- sold in 2009
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed my Atiwe wheel stickers. It took Almost a year to get these wheels finished. I had all 5 of them straightened,de curbed and painted.
Happy with the results.

Stacy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Stacy - pics of your van with those rims, pleeez? Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^^^2x

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Those are sick! Even the re-pops are $$$

http://www.steinerstuff.com/de/produkte/alufelge-keyhole-satz.html
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569667&highlight=tristar+syncro+wheel

There was a set for sale here onsamba 2 years ago for 500 I think

Reeealy like the look of these. Cool
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Atiwe on my Tristar

These are a bitch to clean, but they are on the Factory brochure. So I had to have them. I don't think the caps are correct to those wheels. There were quite a few other wheels made with covered lugs by Atiwe.
Anyway I was asked for a few pics and here you go.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Stacy - pics of your van with those rims, pleeez? Cool

- Dave

maco70 wrote:
^^^^^2x

Goodness, those are spectacularly good looking wheels. Not cheap which seems correct.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Made a call to the NorthWest, had a good chat with a legend, and we decided he will build a powertain with the frogskins I was traded for the previous occupant of this hole in my yard. Last of my Splits started on its way to Belgium late yesterday.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Ummm, BB...the thread is NOT "Cryptic Clues About What You Did To Your Van Today"...

Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Laughing

Things I did to my van that's not in this picture. Laughing

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My version of the reflectors as scene on page 535. The stealthy black one I think is cool, the orange is not a perfect match but I think it still matches the car. The expensive red/white DOT reflectors are much better however.

Pics taken at desk with cell phone with and without flash.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maueman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Hello...dang radiator fan is just too loud. I removed the fan an installed an aftermarket 12" slim fan. With everything under $40. No more resistor needed. I dropped the radiator down without draining or disconnecting anything. Placed it on a swimming pool float.
Removed the fan and shroud. I cut the support structure for the fan. Cleaned and painted the edges. I slit some 1/4" hose and placed it over the edge that was left from cutting the fan mount. I then placed the fan over the opening and anchored it with cable ties through 3/16" holes I drilled around the housing. Then I used black silicone caulk around the perimeter sealing up any spaces. Reinstalled the fan and radiator. Wired it up to the low side of the stock thermal switch at the front of the radiator. Fired it up and was really surprised at how quiet it was. Big question ...what temp will it come on? Well first run it took stop and go traffic to activate the fan at 187 degrees at the radiator for it to start working. It kept the temp below 187 with no problem. Doesn't even come on when traveling on the highway. I live in Florida and if it keeps working like it is in July, I think I'll be good to go.
Van is a 1983 air cooled Subaru 2.5 conversion.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Looks really good! Cool

- Dave

vanmarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I took my van for a test drive!

Van has been sitting since January with a "crank but no start" issue. I finally ran through the Training Manual.

I ended up replacing the fuel pressure regulator and the ignition coil. Still no-go. I put in a rebuilt ECU and VROOM! problem solved.

My injectors were stuck open or overspraying.

I'm headed to West Virginia for a long weekend of camping with my family this weekend!
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Crawled under the van to investigate an unusual whistling noise. Tracked it to the check valve at diff lock vacuum accumulator. Replaced it, noise gone.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
radar5667
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Been a recurring dream to have my Yamaha TDub on the back of my VDub Syncro Westy. My bus came with the Gowesty plate bumpers, hitch, and one swing away tire carrier. I have since removed the Gowesty hitch and bumper and installed the Burley Motorsports heavy duty frame hitch to be able to carry the TDub. The problem is that I need the Gowesty bumper and tire carrier mated to the Burley HD hitch and everything in the right place to be able to carry the bike. Me and bus visited Art the welder today. Art was a little pissed about all the powder coating in the way but believes he can make it all work. Hopefully VDub and TDub will travel well together. All you have to do is tell Art that it’s impossible to marry a Gowesty bumper with a Burley hitch and then leave it with him a while.

sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
My version of the reflectors as scene on page 535. The stealthy black one I think is cool, the orange is not a perfect match but I think it still matches the car. The expensive red/white DOT reflectors are much better however.

Pics taken at desk with cell phone with and without flash.

Oldman those fog lights look great - any details on them, their mounting and wiring?
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

sphet wrote:

Oldman those fog lights look great - any details on them, their mounting and wiring?

The yellow ones are Bosch pilot 160 fogs,
The white ones I think are Bosch Rallye Knick spot lights.

Each pair is powered by a relay. Spots need the high beams to be one, fogs need the ignition to be on to work. Power from the relay come from a direct feed from the battery all the way in the back.

More details on this page somewhere.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yesterday I installed a two part table system that I made for our plain Vanagon.
We don’t have the small jump seat, so this table setup is just for people sitting in the Rear Bench Seat.
Tables are thin Brazilian Cherry Plywood glued to 3/4” Walnut Plywood, with Makore edge banding around them. The leg is Bubinga. I was determined to go through my small and scrap pieces of wood to thin it out for this project.
So, only the metal hardware was bought new. Both Tables are approx 24” long and 16” wide.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto

Last edited by jlrftype7 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 540, 541, 542 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 541 of 630

Jump to: