Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Hightop Option
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Hey all,
I am about to install a new Reimo High top I picked up locally. Want to quickly clarify some material quantities from those who have already done this install with any high top.
1.I plan to just do the sides with the evercoat FIB maxim. If just doing the sides, is one tube enough?
2. For the front and rear lips and all around inside perimeter, how many tubes of either Sikaflex or tiger seal will be needed? And could something like this be used?:
https://www.campingworld.com/dicor-self-leveling-lap-sealant---white-32125.html
3.flex form. I see people saying anywhere from 6-10 yards. How much are people generally using? I measured needing about 6. But this is on a Reimo not and Naht. Reimos are slightly smaller overall square footage
4. Where are you all running you wires (either from fans, lights, solar etc) into the van cavities to a Dedicated power source?
5. If I decide to monstaline the top, will one gallon be enough, or two?

Thanks all! I plan on attacking this after the Holiday
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

We are finally getting back on track WRT hightop deliveries and availability through our Western distributor/installers.
I have tentatively reserved shipping for a load of tops to Buena Vista Colorado for early August. From Buena Vista they will be transported westward to Salt Lake City, Oregon/California and Washington.There seems to be a lot of interest in the tops as folks look to create their own personal "escape pod" . I'm hoping that the tops can move through the hands of the installer/distributors quickly and wind up on vans so that folks can enjoy them
As always, contact me for any further information
J. Charlton
North American Hightops

Last edited by J Charlton on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I added high tail lights to my high-top. I've been wanting to add some elevated tail lights and the spot for them became clear when I added the solar panels. Amazingly, the drop for the lower rear secrion of the NAHT was the same dimension as the tail lights I bought in December.

The benefits of the lights are:
- Belt and suspenders when a stock tail light bulb fails (although I may still replace the filament bulbs LEDs)
- Improved visibility of my signals for the cars behind the car behind me

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Front bulkhead complete. 2 12V power ports added. I really like that this can be opened without interfering with head room or any of the interior space.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I love the tambour door. Do you have concerns about it rattling while driving?

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I love the tambour door. Do you have concerns about it rattling while driving?

None. It is nicely cushioned by the grey material that I partially wrapped onto the back of the bulkhead.

The Western Syncro build
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

So Im going to throw this out here. If I should put this in another thread moderators please let me know.
I installed a Reimo high top two weeks ago on my 87 syncro westy and notice a significant increase in side wind van waffling. So much so that it is very uncomfortable to drive with any wind or semi turbulence. My set up: I have all powerflex bushings all around up front on every possible component. I am running bfg AT 195 14” tires. I have old man emu shocks With about 30k on them. I am running original stock syncro springs that have close to 200k on them, each tire height measuring 18.75” all around. And I am running stock sway bar. So my question is given my set up, what would you all recommend that I do to stabilize the van better? I am considering Brand new zero lift springs to start with. Then possible upgrading to 15 or 16” tires. Then possibly bigger sway bar. Not sure what else to do here. Truthfully Im a little bummed at the hightop performance. I will say that before the hightop my van did blow around with pretty significant wind, but now its with any kind of breeze or semi truck passing. I am hoping there is room for improvement on handling.
Thanks!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Candyman, you’ll get better views if you create a new topic regarding your issue rather than have it buried here. You’ll eventually get it solved I am sure.

The Western Syncro build
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Candyman, you’ll get better views if you create a new topic regarding your issue rather than have it buried here. You’ll eventually get it solved I am sure.

Kinda what I thought too, ill start a new topic asking. Thanks!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

14" rims with balloon tires is a recipe for sway. The modern era awaits with an upgrade to 16" rims

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
14" rims with balloon tires is a recipe for sway. The modern era awaits with an upgrade to 16" rims

Even with 8ply load range D tires? I always was under the assumption that adds a lot support
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Even with 8ply load range D tires? I always was under the assumption that adds a lot support

I'm running 17" w/ 225/75 and worn out everything else and didn't experience anything like what you describe with my NAHT and side wind unless extreme. Also having two planes on the sides help with the wind. The source is buried somewhere in the back pages of this thread.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

By far - the most cost effective change that you can make to your van to affect the handling, especially in side winds, will be to replace your wheel tire combination with a larger wheel size rim and therefore tires with a much lower sidewall. The additional steel of the wheel will not flex, but the rubber of your current tires certainly does.
We did take wind flow, both from the side and front into consideration when the NAHT was designed. As mentioned, multiple planes help wind flow up and over before `catching` - the other factor might be weight - I don`t know what the actual weight of the Reimo top is, but inasmuch as it is a chopper gunned fabricated top it is probably at least 50% heavier than the hand laid NAHT top.

Change your wheel tire combination and with all of the suspension upgrades that you have already done your handling - especially in side winds - will improve dramatically and you can get on to enjoy your hightop.

J Charlton
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all! I would have to say that tire combo is next on my list as im a year out from needing replacement anyways so now is a good time. As far weight in the Reimo, I would guess it to be in the 80- 100# range? Two of us easily handled getting it on the westy. The poptop felt double the weight however when removing it. As far as planes, the reimo also has several tapering up the sides but maybe they are not as extreme as the NAHT. Anyways thanks for the tire advice. Time to go shopping!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Cross posting from my euro bus topic...

J Charlton wrote:
I`ve been waiting for several years for someone to incorporate a tambour door in their hightop. They make a lot of sense in that you do not need the space to swing a door, vertically or horizontally. I`m sure that Dave will sort out all of the fine details wrt to the installation so that its trouble free for many years.
Dave - is the tambour a cassette type or is it sliding in a track and would you please share your sourcing of the tambour - it looks to be about the perfect size for that front bulkhead.
JC

John,

It is a track system that rolls up at the top of the track. You can see the roll on the bulkhead laying down in this pic.

I used this tambour door, but it is extra large and needs to be cut down for the bulkhead. I did this on purpose because I am using the same door on other cabinets I am building in the bus. I went with 1/2" slats since they will roll across a tighter radius which will be necessary for my other application.

https://www.cshardware.com/67-4836-4v.html

here is the track I bought separately.

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=260966

But if was only doing this bulkhead door I would go with something like this kit.

https://www.cshardware.com/67-2a-30-4v.html

Installation is pretty easy. You screw the tracks onto the back of the bulkhead at the edge of the opening and set up the roll up mechanism. Instructions come with it and google can help too. I did wrap the grey material around the opening and about 1" onto the inside so that the door rides on the material instead of the wood. That seems to have worked very well.

The tambour door opening in my bulkhead is 34"W x 15"H

The Western Syncro build
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Cross posting from my build topic since this has some relevance to finishing out the NAHT opening.

Just finished with the cabinet over the kitchen unit. I am very happy with how this turned out. I continued the tambour door theme since when it is open there is not a door in my way.

First thing was to bend some cardboard to get the dimensions close then build a proof of concept out of some spare plywood.

Now on to the full version out of clear pine like the other wood in that area.

And installed. Very Happy (The wide angle lens gives a parallax to the view. Everything is actually nice and square...)

Next step is to add a similar cabinet from there to the headbanger.

The Western Syncro build
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I see you've decided to take this to the next level. Very Happy Very well done and a nice inspiration. Thanks for sharing your work.

Abscate wrote:

MTV1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

Im starting the process of installing a NAHT on my 87 Syncro westy. Any one recommend a lighting product to use for interior lighting the top? Muse be surface mounted LED lights. Also I will be selling off the top with the tent if any one knows of a person in need of one.
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Hightop Option Reply with quote

I took advantage of the long weekend over the Labor Day holiday and drove to Johnson City TN from deep east TX to pick up a NAHT top. I’m prepping for the install in a couple weeks, gathering material, and reading this thread for the 3rd time! Out of all the diy mods and 2 Subaru conversions(including doing my own harness once) this is the most daunting task I will be undertaking to date. Many thanks go out to everyone who has the patience and skill to not only do these conversions but document everything through the process.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 64 of 72

Jump to: