Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'63 Ghia - Second Chance
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

What about this old orange Purolator By-Pass Oil filter? I really like the orange color - it matches my hoses and distributor cap! It's a NE-1517 and seems to still have a modern compatible filter insert and seal... It also has the reduction adapter on the inlet, so that's cool... I would need to have hoses made and find a place to run the in and out of the engine - probably a oil pressure sender bolt/adapter and a trick fuel pump spacer or ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Drove the car another 15 miles today running chores - with my mask and distancing of course Crying or Very sad

Car didn't miss a beat - except the doors opening and closing is terrible - really need to get the hinges, strikers and door seals figured out - very annoying Evil or Very Mad

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

dc wrote:
What about this old orange Purolator By-Pass Oil filter? I really like the orange color - it matches my hoses and distributor cap! It's a NE-1517 and seems to still have a modern compatible filter insert and seal... It also has the reduction adapter on the inlet, so that's cool... I would need to have hoses made and find a place to run the in and out of the engine - probably a oil pressure sender bolt/adapter and a trick fuel pump spacer or ?

Mike Bucchino will make the custom oil lines and fittings for you: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1979669
Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Its a really good result and I would definitely leave the color of the car as is!!

From my Point of view it somehow fits perfect with the history of the car Smile

Now its just about care and maintenance!
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Inchpincher61 wrote:
Its a really good result and I would definitely leave the color of the car as is!!

From my Point of view it somehow fits perfect with the history of the car Smile

Now its just about care and maintenance!

Should I paint all the blue spots purple or keep going with the blue?
I at least want it one color Confused
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Not exactly a big surprise, but the car has developed a few leaks - the worst of which is the transmission Crying or Very sad I drove the car onto a couple of ramps to see if I could learn anything...

Here's where the transmission leaks - I'm thinking maybe the little plugs (not the 17mm drain plug - but the three small inspections dowell plugs) are weeping but I'm not sure. Frustrating think is that when I really cleaned it up and left it on the ramp for a couple of days it did not leak AT ALL... As soon as I drove it down off the ramp 30 feet and parked it again, it started leaking a lot - and not just from the driving, but continuously while parked for the next several days Confused

Also leaking here at the rear of the engine case from that plug near the oil pump cover... I was able to seal this one and stop it.

Also leaking oil from the drain plate gasket - it was a cheap and thin feeling gasket that came with the new replacement plate and drain plug that I bought to fix a leaking drain plug on the old plate (fixed one problem to create another)-
Probably just need to put a better gasket there - but of course that involves changing the oil again when I just did that...

Aren't these cars fun! Rolling Eyes
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

dc wrote:

They're old cars! every time you get started on one, chances are the first task will be to undo the litany of crappy repairs, mismatched, incorrect parts and f##k-ups from previous owners and mechanics. Once you get on top of it you will be away.
Dont skimp on parts or you will be doing it again gauranteed. When you re-do the drain-plate gasket get the kit with the gaskets and new copper washers for all the nuts. Notice how this nos one comes with two gaskets and all the washers this is what you want...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1380113
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
dc wrote:

They're old cars! every time you get started on one, chances are the first task will be to undo the litany of crappy repairs, mismatched, incorrect parts and f##k-ups from previous owners and mechanics. Once you get on top of it you will be away.
Dont skimp on parts or you will be doing it again gauranteed. When you re-do the drain-plate gasket get the kit with the gaskets and new copper washers for all the nuts. Notice how this nos one comes with two gaskets and all the washers this is what you want...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1380113

My Dad used to joke that the grease and oil is what holds 'em all together and NOT to clean too much Rolling Eyes

Drove another 9 miles today running errands - drop off ballots for the election - go to Lowe's for more parts for the kitchen remodel... Ghia was fine with ONE drop on the ground at the Lowe's lot after 30 minutes of shopping. I will figure it out and keep an eye on tihngs!
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Thought you might enjoy the "as found" pictures of what's under the rear seats.
Nothing younger than '81 Shocked

I only looked under here once before when I was a prospective buyer checking for rust... Lots of flaky chunks of debris but no holes - thank goodness!

We got old matchbooks, used band-aids, popsicle and tooth-pick, a wing nut and some random clips and beer caps/tabs...and - the ORIGINAL shift knob Very Happy

The car currently sports a black beetle shift knob and the OG knob is crazed and has damage on the underside....but I will restore it and put it back where it belongs!

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Shift knob: Smile

Have you ever done any restoration on those hard plastic knobs on a Ghia? This summary might help: https://porsche356registry.org/article?page=13

If you want to keep the "crazed" look for patina, you can try to polish the surface with a good polish such as Autosol or Simichrome.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

dc wrote:
Thought you might enjoy the "as found" pictures of what's under the rear seats.
Nothing younger than '81 Shocked

Is that a small packet of mysterious powder of some snort, ... I mean sort ... I see there?

Very pre-1981 indeed! Smile

You may have lucked out and just paid for all your parts and supplies so far.
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend polishing it, since the knob looks really crazed the polish would get in the cracks and might effect any finish coat. I would use some fine wet sand paper and water to get rid of any discoloration and scrub it really good with a toothbrush and soapy water. Compressed air used conservatively will help get water out of the cracking. Once it's dry try using HXTAL clear epoxy (you will likely have to purchase on line). This stuff is excellent! It is a non yellowing, hard setting epoxy. When you first mix it, it will be the consistency of water and will flow easily into the cracks. If you want it thicker just wait a few hours until it is as thick as you want. It can take a few days to a week to fully cure. The epoxy will stabilize the knob and still retain the patina look. If you want a finished look you can always paint over the epoxy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

I will post some pictures of the shift knob- I carefully cleaned it with soap and it looks good! I want to keep the crazing - the threaded part is stripped and missing a chunk- I was thinking some sort of white epoxy - I will look at the products and techniques u all mentioned...

Here it is:

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

I have the original one from my car that's broken just like yours and I wonder if a Dremil could grind that broken thread away sufficiently to allow gluing (epoxying?) a short section of threaded tube to effectively repair that shift knob.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

dc wrote:
I will post some pictures of the shift knob- I carefully cleaned it with soap and it looks good! I want to keep the crazing - the threaded part is stripped and missing a chunk- I was thinking some sort of white epoxy - I will look at the products and techniques u all mentioned...

Here it is:

Here's my progress on the shift knob repair-
used JB Weld white epoxy -

Good stuff! Easy to form and sand and drill and tap. I will give it a few more hours to cure completely hard and then seal it in a clear enamel before I try it out!
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Here's the knob mounted in the car after a coat of clear enamel on the underside repair area - We shall see if the repair holds under use Wink

Here's some other recent shots of details and things I'm working on...

Blaupunkt rear speaker

Original paint on the fender-

dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Question! Question
I'm slowly re-building the doors now...hinges were bad, latches are bad, weather-striping bad, etc.

Got the hinges replaced (not easy!)
Still needs adjustments BUT what about new (NOS) latches?
Where should this part be lubed/oiled/greased before install?

Tips - tricks for how to make it come together properly?

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

I used some spray lithium grease on all the moving parts and the spring when I installed my latches since it wasn't so heavy and these sit inside the doors.

Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
I used some spray lithium grease on all the moving parts and the spring when I installed my latches since it wasn't so heavy and these sit inside the doors.

Jeff

Didn't know lithium grease was available in a spray! Shocked
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 Ghia - Second Chance Reply with quote

Yep, I used Gunk Brand, also made by Dupont and WD40
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: