Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone running these moon style hubcaps?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Anyone running these moon style hubcaps? Reply with quote

Not sure if they fit a Vanagon. It mentions 4 lug wheels & bay bus only.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D10%2D1060%2DW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running these moon style hubcaps? Reply with quote

Santa brought me some Vanagon ones that look very similar from GoWesty years ago. They rusted pretty quickly under my benign neglect.
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running these moon style hubcaps? Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Not sure if they fit a Vanagon. It mentions 4 lug wheels & bay bus only.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D10%2D1060%2DW

It mentions bus 71-91. That is meant to include the Vanagon. VW used the same wheels from '71 on the bay window through '91 on the Vanagon.

I've had Vanagons and Beetles and have used these interchangeably.

Ed
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running these moon style hubcaps? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Santa brought me some Vanagon ones that look very similar from GoWesty years ago. They rusted pretty quickly under my benign neglect.

As the ones linked are stainless steel I should think that will not be an issue.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running these moon style hubcaps? Reply with quote

Great if that's the case.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone running these moon style hubcaps? Reply with quote

Do these have more of a "dome" than the stock Vanagon cap?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone running these moon style hubcaps? Reply with quote

The stock Vanagon caps are slightly deeper than the 4 lug and bay window caps, possibly to clear the deeper front bearing dust caps that people have trouble with when mounting some alloys. But those look really domed, so should clear easily.
As an aside, I always thought that Vanagons looked better with more squared off styles of wheels, rather than roundy or domed, as the Vanagon is very angular and squared off. But I must be in the serious minority, as almost everything offered for the Vanagon has more roundy types of profiles. As an example look at the rhein wheel, which has round profile spokes. And the ever popular Mercedes type wheel doesn't really look good in my opinion because it doesn't match the lines of the vehicle.
But, as I said, I must be in the minority, and my stylistic opinions must not be very common. I can accept that.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: