Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cloth seat covers? Where find?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Cloth seat covers? Where find? Reply with quote

Where are you finding solid color slip over seat covers for your low back VW Beetle seats?

Last edited by Stockholm VW on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cloth seat covers? Where find? Reply with quote

i think TMI sells cloth seat covers but they arent the slip over kind. you could always make your own. im sure granny would love to let you barrow her sewing machine Wink
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cloth seat covers? Where find? Reply with quote

I remember reading about this in the 1970's: A quick but sloppy method is to slide a T-shirt over the backrest. Heavyweight cotton such as "Dickies" brand. Buy a few sizes, keep the purchase tags on, keep the best fitting one and return the others. I don't know if this can work for the seat bottom.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cloth seat covers? Where find? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
I remember reading about this in the 1970's: A quick but sloppy method is to slide a T-shirt over the backrest.

Just did this last week on my patina 1970 !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cloth seat covers? Where find? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
i think TMI sells cloth seat covers but they arent the slip over kind.

When I got my Lotus '67 almost 20 years ago, it had replacement seat covers slipped over the original black basket weave. I was stunned (and very happy) to accidentally discover the off-white ones were merely slipped over the very well preserved originals Cool. But the T-shirt idea is great! I use a thick terry cloth towel on the seat bottoms of my vehicles and it's worked great for years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cloth seat covers? Where find? Reply with quote

Sewfine can make you a set of covers with tweed cloth seating surfaces in a any of several different colors. They're not designed to just slip on over existing covers though...the other covers need to be removed first.

https://sewfineproducts.com/Bug-Custom-Interiors

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: