Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Hi all! After graduating from college 2 years ago and searching for a bus ever since, I finally saved up enough & made the dream come true and bought my first vanagon- Meet Dagny aka Putt-Putt

Although I have never done so much as change my oil before the van, I made the conscious decision after graduating that I wanted to be more technically inclined, and after poring through samba article after samba article, educating myself on everything from electrical systems to transmissions online, and consulting with friends and family, I finally made the plunge.

I have already begun to delve into the rabbit hole that is keeping my Volkswagen alive. After a month of ownership, I have already picked up my bentley bible, changed the oil, belts, distributor, rewired the radio, and digitized the previous owners records and gotten myself on a maintenance schedule going forward.

The fuel lines were changed last year per the PO's shop records and I went through them thoroughly with a few friends and family who are mechanics themselves. My only concern/question so far is regarding the short hoses between the fuel rails and injectors which have not been replaced, but were deemed ok by my local mechanic as well as the aforementioned friends.

The bus has already made a few quick jaunts up to the Catskills and Delaware, and soon ill be heading up to my 'true' home in the Adirondacks with her every weekend. Looking forward to jumping into the VW and camping communities headfirst. Cheers!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Make America Vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Welcome, enjoy spending money and creating new combinations of curse words. All jokes aside, you have definitely chosen wisely if you want to learn to mechanic. This site is on par with the Bentley, in my opinion, when it comes to solving your big or small problems. As for the community, that's exactly what we are. Also, make sure to get the VanAlert app for your phone as well.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Welcome to the madness . . . And the fun.

The VW community is awesome. Get out there to VW events and meet some of them.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Congrats. See my Sig. before putting a poptop on it
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Welcome, and congrats!

Evidence that Vanagons work for camping in the Adirondacks. Fish Lake.

And here's a parked Westy we spotted north of Saranac Lake.

floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Thought I would put together a trips report as putt-putt has been all over the east coast in the past 6 months.

Destinations reached since obtaining the van in April 2019:

May:
Kent Island, MD
Catskills, NY

June:
Low's Lake, ADK NY
Old Rag Mtn, Shenandoah, VA

July:
Boston
Mt. Katahdin, Baxter State Park, ME
Arcadia National Park, ME

August:
Rocky Mtn Peak & Giant Mtn, ADK NY
Cape Cod, MA
Annapolis, MD
Bethany Beach, DE

September:
NYC
Rollins Pond & Big Slide Mtn, ADK NY
Burlington, VT
Pemi Loop - White Mountains, NH

So far, after ~8000 miles, the van has performed much better than i ever could have hoped for. Diligent, documented maintenance from the previous owner has continued under my care as I learn to changes hoses, fluids, and have fun everywhere I go. Never a dull moment....

Best (vanagon) moment so far has to have been at Mac's on the Pier on the cape... 4 vanagons were parked in the same lot - 2 sets of 2! (Pretty sure) many beers and stories were swapped waiting on line for lobster rolls before we scurried off to the double feature at the drive in.

Fun facts:
The bus can hold up to 11 people
Curtains supplied by previous owner glow in the dark (minds were blown)
Beer tastes better in the van, its science.
People try to ask me what year it is while i'm driving (this got old fast)

shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Welcome to the Invanity! (copied from an earlier thread).

Let the Games begin!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Awesome! Enjoy your trips!

Put a couple more twists in your canoe tie-down straps and they won't buzz & jiggle so much in the wind. Assume's you're going fast enough to generate a wind effect! Very Happy

Here's the model description for your van:
https://www.vanagons.org/91-vanagon-gl.html

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Nice!

11 people! And it moved? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Road ends, fun begins.

We are in Albany NY if you need help on road between NJ and the ADK, especially summers.

Keep a close eye on those fuel injector short hoses, inspect every fuel stop by sniffing.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Quote:
Beer tastes better in the van, its science.

truth.

sweet van bus. when you are ready to rebuild the engine hit me up.

BiWerks Design, LLC
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

I'm sorry, there's another thread that says you can't have this kind of fun as a younger person with a vanagon, you're defying the laws of mechanics and time.

Seriously though, looks awesome, you're doing it "right." I would just go ahead and replace those lines to the injectors, easy and with the lines clamped, you'll lose very little gas.
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Another summer with the van means another whirlwind adventure of winging it trip by trip.

I am trying to camp on the Outer Banks of North Carolina this weekend. Unfortunately, every campground from Kitty Hawk all the way down through Ocracoke island is booked solid.

Does anybody have any recommendations as to alternative solutions that might fit the bill? Unfortunately my lazy millennial ass neglected to plan ahead... any suggestions, spots, or otherwise are most welcome!!
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't help with camping plans on the east coast but I can offer a canoe-related suggestion. Get a set of round Yakima crossbars with the telescoping canoe loading assist bar and gunwale feet. That setup makes loading my 80 lb Mad River onto the Westy easier than any other vehicle I've tried to put it on.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

floodwood wrote:
Another summer with the van means another whirlwind adventure of winging it trip by trip.

I am trying to camp on the Outer Banks of North Carolina this weekend. Unfortunately, every campground from Kitty Hawk all the way down through Ocracoke island is booked solid.

Does anybody have any recommendations as to alternative solutions that might fit the bill? Unfortunately my lazy millennial ass neglected to plan ahead... any suggestions, spots, or otherwise are most welcome!!

If you're already headed south there's camping on the Eastern Shore in MD and VA, various state parks in each plus First Landing SP in Virginia Beach. Don't know about vacancies.
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

Just got back from 6k+ mi road trip from the east coast - the van did better than I ever could have hoped for! NY/NJ > UP > SD > WY > UT > DC. Too many stories to recount, so pictures will have to suffice. Spotted 5 or so vans including one in the middle of nowhere SD farmland - well away from the interstates. Seems someone also saw my and my NJ plates in Yellowstone last week.

Other trips this summer have included the NC Outer Banks, Chincoteague, and cape cod. Maine & more to come....

A few questions that popped up to me during the trip...

1. I have never put so many miles on the van at one time. What preventative maintenance do I need to do after such a trip to make sure I continue to be running smooth for years to come? I had no overheating, fuel issues, or starting issues during the trip, and my only 'issue' was a power steering fluid top off in a walmart parking lot.

2. Gasoline with Ethanol - is this to be avoided? Seems that often only the premium 91 octane gasoline was the only grade with no ethanol. 85 octane was avoided at all times in the western states.

3. Eurovans - do we like these guys or what? They never seem as happy to see me as other vanagon peeps are.

4. Oil changes - my most egregious mistake was going 6k between changes rather than my usual 3k. While I recognize that i made a mistake here, have I done any lasting damage? I am back on my regular 3k change intervals.

5. A tractor trailer truck blew a tire in front of me in Nebraska - while I was able to avoid most of it, I am down a fiberglass body panel on the passenger side (just behind the slider door). Does any one know how / where I can source a replacement?

6. Any recommendations on how to attach a fishing pole alongside the A/C tunnel? My velcro solution seems to melt off due to weight of the pole and ambient heat acting on the adhesive.

Feeling very happy and lucky to be a part of such a cool community. Stay frosty.

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

1. Check it all over, loose nuts or bolts, cracked belts or hoses, new air filter. General matenace. 2. Don't worry about ethanol when driving regularly, Ethanol free when parked up for longer periods. 3. Ha-HA-HA I think they just see a hippy van. Wink 4. No problem six thousand is fine, it's not an air cooler. 5. Bummer! Samba classifieds, Craigs list? 6. screw and flat washer through hold down strap, or would that be hold up strap. Nice trip pics
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First Vanagon - 1991 Vanagon GL Reply with quote

^^^ Indeed...good answers there. Great questions, sweet pics! Cool

FWIW, from a resident guru (...no, NOT me!!!) Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink

tencentlife wrote:
(Original post - June, 2007)

...I am an enemy of the 3000mile oil change for water-cooled motors; the public has really been sold a bill of goods based on the specious and self-serving claims of the quick-lube industry. Manufacturers mostly specify 7500mile LOF service, and that's based on actual service testing. I never heard of a 3000mile oil change, except on Type1 aircooleds, until JiffyLubes and GreaseMonkeys one day started sprouting up everywhere.

Manufacturers do recommend more frequent LOF service if your driving patterns are what they term severe service, but believe me, most of the cars on the road don't fit that category, and most of the readers here don't either. That means extremely dusty conditions, Saharan heat, or very concentrated start-stop operation, like delivery vehicles. I drive in extremely dusty conditions, and keeping the AF clean is the best way to address that.

In fact, if you're changing oil at 3000miles, you're dumping it just when it's getting good. The oil testing industry has consistently shown that the additive package has seasoned to the right balance when oil is at about half of its designed service life. The very best oil service would be to change half the oil at 3500 miles or so, and put on a new filter.

So anyway, my program is 8000mile LOF's using organic mixed-fleet oil, and the Trasko filter helps me to be confident that the oil is kept clean for that full range. Otherwise, I would want to change filters at half that interval, but not the oil.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: