Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Relocating oil pressure switch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Ok...so it seems like I'm looking for a M10x1 tapered male for the case and M10x1 tapered female for the sender. Anyone have a good link to a stainless braided hose with those ends? I can see if my local hydraulic shop can make one, if not.

The PO definitely installed a 1/8"-NPT pipe in there for the original sender and it can turn 2 threads, so I think I want to try and go back to the original M10x1 and hopefully I have enough good threads left.

Thanks
Tiernay TT10 APU gas turbine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

I buy them off eBay. Made by EMPI. It’s a right rear stainless brake hose for a bay bus. Cost about $23 delivered. I’ve used them several times with VDO senders on T4 engines. I even have a custom made crows foot for installing the male end into the oil pressure boss

Empi 98-6714 Rear Steel Braided Brake Hose Vw Bug-Ghia 1968-79 (I.R.S.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193187968406
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Gary - your solution may be the only solution but it scares me to use a hose designed for brake fluid with engine oil. Engine oil can destroy rubber products used with brakes. That said the Eaton hose that came in the VDO kit was a 1/8th male taper to 1/8th female with an adapter that made the female end 10mm x 1.0. Eaton should have just made a hydraulic line that was 10mm x 1.0 to 10mm x 1.0. I guess VDO figured it was Ok to screw up the case but don't mess with their sender threads. And it is brass hose fittings so we have different metals. I cannot find a 1/8th male pipe to 10mm x 1.0 taper. Lots of 10mm x 1.0 straight but no taper.

I found this as part of a discussion in one of the forums on oil senders for air cooled.

glutamodo wrote:
[... Watercooled models used a straight thread with a copper gasket, but the aircooled ones have that slight taper to them. I have such an OE switch here. I just took a couple of pics, it's a VW "Mco" switch dated 7/61, compared to a German Hella replacement switch dated 11/05. Not much of a taper, true, but it's there. I took an ultra-macro picutre of it and then drew some lines over it to emphasize this taper.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

I’ve never seen a problem
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

so in reading the 9 pages again, and searching for a hose fitting, no true 10mm x 1 tapered fittings are available in male at the places that make hoses. AircooledNet, who sells a hose, so much as says they couldn't find one either over 30 years. This leaves a couple options that have been discussed, which include cutting the tin or using a 1/8th pipe taper fitting. The brake line fittings may work but they are designed for brake fittings, not taper fittings. Some folks found grease gun hoses to work but they were never designed to be at constant pressure and the oil temps.

The problem that cutting the tin presents is getting a wrench on the sender when it fails. Of course thinking out of the box, one can cut the tin oversized, or notched, fit a piece that adapts the over size hole or notch to the sender hole size. That way, to remove the sender, one would remove the adapter piece of tin, which gives clearance for a crow's foot, change the VDO sender then put the adapter tin back on.

The STUPID ASS thing is that VDO could have just designed their freaking sender to fit in the location, and placed a hex on the top to remove it. What a novel idea.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Thanks for the research Gary.

I have e-mailed a manufacturer who says they make a high quality: 10 mm x 1.0 tapered male to 1/8-27 female adapter. If they confirm this, and that it is a stock part that can be ordered in minimal quantities of less than 10, then a conventional oil relocation kit like this below could also be used -

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Stainless-Steel-Oil-...on-kit.htm

With such an adapter, the Eaton hose that came in the VDO kit could be used too without damaging the case threads.

10mm x 1.0 threads convert to a count of 25.4 per inch at a slightly less diameter also than the 1/8-27 threads. Indeed, using the 1/8 -27 is a one way street.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Steve,
Are you telling us that the 10M x 1.0 straight thread brake hose I've been using in T4 engines is damaging the case threads? Somewhere I thought I remembered reading that the T1 oil pressure switch was tapered and the T4 was straight. I've installed several of these over the last 6-8 years and never had a leak or any other problem. I like to use the SS braided hose because it provides the ground needed for the sending unit. I have used rubber hoses in the past but had to add a wire for the ground.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Steve,
Are you telling us that the 10M x 1.0 straight thread brake hose I've been using in T4 engines is damaging the case threads? Somewhere I thought I remembered reading that the T1 oil pressure switch was tapered and the T4 was straight. I've installed several of these over the last 6-8 years and never had a leak or any other problem. I like to use the SS braided hose because it provides the ground needed for the sending unit. I have used rubber hoses in the past but had to add a wire for the ground.

From all the research I have done based on other's posts and my own observations - the hole in the case for the senders on T1 and T4 is a straight 10mm 1.0 thread. The stock (and VDO sender) is 10mm 1.0 tapered. Tapered can be used in a tapered or straight thread without damaging the threads. 10 mm 1.0 is 25.4 threads per inch.

Your brake line kit is 10mm - 1.0 so it does not change the pitch or damage the case. However the hose end is designed to seal against the female brake fitting so it is longer than a regular taper thread or straight thread, and goes deeper into the case. If a straight thread is used, some kind of sealer is needed to both seal the threads and lock the item from unscrewing itself.

The common kits sold today are 1/8-27 pipe on the case end. They slightly enlarge the hole, and change the pitch in the case to where a stock sender could not be used again unless it can thread in deeper than the 1/8 - 27 fitting. The 1/8-27 will seal in the hole but one will not be able to use a stock sender again without sealer. Also the larger diamer increases the odds of a crack, unlikely but possible. Your EMPI hose doesn't have that issue.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Ta da................. They just wrote back.

10mm 1.0 tapered male to 1/8-27 female. I ordered three at $21 each. If they work I'll let you know. They should convert my VDO/Eaton hoses (or the ones other places sell) to VW. No more thread damage. I would use Gary's solution but I am really nervous about hot oil in a brake line over a long period of time. I can get 1/8-27 to 1/8-27 oil lines much easier than finding an EMPI brake line.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Guys,
so I followed Aeromech's suggestions and was able to get the EMPI brake line locally. I went with the 18" version which is 98-6713-B. So now that I have it I can confirm it's M10x1 STRAIGHT threads.

The picture below shows the 1/8-27 TPI that some use (top), the M10x1 straight brake line (middle), and my sender M10x1 tapered (bottom), which sounds like it's the same as the T4 case.

So now I'm stuck between:

1) Just use this brake line....sounds like it works for most people, but the straight/taper interface is not ideal since they don't meet at the face like a brake line does (to Steve's point). Using loctite may help the seal, if needed. Won't damage the case.

2) See if my local hydraulic place can make a M10x1 male tapered (case) to M10x 1 female tapered (sender).

3) Cut tin to insert sender directly- would rather not at this point.

4) 1/8"-27 NPT -->due to case alteration I'd rather not do any further damage. However, looks like Steve just posted there is an adapter option. Steve, can you post the link to the adapter and the Eaton hose? may look at that in the future.

I think for now I'll use Gary's option, but will look into my local hydraulic shop (tomorrow) and consider Steve's option of adapter. Part of it was that I was trying to get this done ASAP for a VW meet...patience...

Thanks
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

You might consider grinding the end down a little on the EMPI hose so it doesn't go too deep into the case. Clean it with a knife and blow it out well with compressed air when done, then use Loctite 565 thread sealant plus their special primer for sealants such as 565 that has to be used in Aluminum and Magnesium.

If you find someone who can make custom 10mm x1 tapered hoses let us know. I looked for a place online and found nothing. They have all sorts of sizes but that one just did not come up. I've only found reference to it for European transmissions in the 70's, and air cooled VW's. The taps and dies are available but not the hose fittings (other than barbed style for low pressure fuel applications.) Don't get it. The female adapters 10mm x 1 to 1/8-27 are readily available. The post of that one male adapter is the only one I found in 2 days of searching. I found one test gauge manufacturer for transmission testing who had the fitting in their line because their test gauge hose is 1/8-27 but of all the fittings they make, that one was discontinued.
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Sounds good.

I'll let you guys know what I find out at the hydraulic place. I've had them make me flex hoses before, but that was before I got into VW/metric stuff....
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

My son works in a hydraulic shop, I've asked him to find out if there's such a thing tomorrow. Stay tuned............

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

The VDO sender comes with a copper crush washer. I spooge some white loktite thread sealant on the male hose end end use my custom crows foot extension to tighten the hose into the case against the copper washer and with the splooge. Just a light torque. Never had an issue and have done this mod about 5 times over the last 8 years.

Go ahead and make it difficult, it’s not
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
The VDO sender comes with a copper crush washer. I spooge some white loktite thread sealant on the male hose end end use my custom crows foot extension to tighten the hose into the case against the copper washer and with the splooge. Just a light torque. Never had an issue and have done this mod about 5 times over the last 8 years.

Go ahead and make it difficult, it’s not

Mine have never come with a washer. That must be new. I noticed today that VDO has many different thread pitches on their oil pressure senders these days. Several pages of them in fact.
D&L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Malone Specialty Inc out of Mentor, OH Phone: 440-255-4200 have part number MMTFP101018 which is a steel adapter with 10x1.0 Male Metric Taper x 1/8'' Female NPT that looks similar to the one SGKent posted above. They gave me fast and good service.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

D&L wrote:
Malone Specialty Inc out of Mentor, OH Phone: 440-255-4200 have part number MMTFP101018 which is a steel adapter with 10x1.0 Male Metric Taper x 1/8'' Female NPT that looks similar to the one SGKent posted above. They gave me fast and good service.

Same Place - Ryan is whom I communicated with earlier today. He has them in stock.

I ordered a couple of those. Ryan usually has a 25 minimum order but he will sell less quantities to folks here. That will convert the 10mm x 1 tapered case side to the 1/8-27 NPT hose side, so one can use many different hydraulic / oil pressure hoses. An adapter is needed for the other end too unless one orders a 1/8-27 VDO sender, but the adapters often come in the VDO sender kits. The case side doesn't.

Gary's solution will work too but I have several of the VDO kits already and would prefer to just adapt them to the case properly. If Mark can get custom hoses I would go that route too. Apparently talking with Ryan, that size is really hard for some folks to find. They make specialty fittings for some different European cars that used that size taper fitting at one time.
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Thanks guys for posting all the info.

I went to the hydraulic place and they could make a hose with straight M10 fittings, but they did not have the tapered M10 fittings they could crimp.

So I'm going with Gary's and other's brake line solution for now. I ordered the primer and locktite 565 and I'll use a copper washer at the case as mentioned.

I will keep on eye on that tapered case adapter for the future as well...

Thanks
Bill
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Is this any good? (Currently out of stock, but they have other types up for sale so may be worth messaging them to ask when they have them back in).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remote-Oil-Pressure-Gau...cvip-panel

I have the same one as in the link above in my jobs to do parts stash, I’ve not tried it yet, but it looks good quality and other VW people over here in the UK said it fitted properly and done the job (mine came with a brass NPT adapter thrown in as well, but I won’t need that). I bought some M10 dowty washers as well to help seal up the sender mating surfaces between the senders and the T-piece. Will probably put a careful smear of Loctite blue halfway up the threads going into the T-piece as well, without compromising the ground connection. Example here but you can get them a lot cheaper in packs of 10:

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php...gJm-PD_BwE

Regarding the stock sender, I wrote this on here back in 2015: “VDO part number 150 752 you need which is a M10x1 thread (heed the warnings in the following link about part number 150 752D though, as apparently the part number with the D on the end is an NPT thread, so you would need an NPT to metric adapter if you got one of those)“
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: