Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice On Transmission Leak
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

What is the best way to clean all of this? I'm thinking a trip to the local car wash using their high pressure hose. I'm sure it's a tranny leak but when I wiped my finger over the spot on the driveway, it was clear. Not black, not brown, not reddish ... clear.

It whines but that's normal. It does NOT pop out of gear and shifts smoothly. Before I send it in to the local shop for repair I thought I'd clean all of that off first. After it was driven a little over 500 miles for delivery, I drove it 174 miles the rest of July. Today I made a short 4 mile roundtrip to town. The cardboard I put under it had a small 1" circle with the same fluid two hours after I returned.

I would just clean it, drain it and add new tranny fluid but I think there is more going on there than just doing that. Bad seals? Was it filled with to much fluid in the past?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

there is just so much crud under there its tough to be sure. It could be from multiple spots. cleaning it up is a good start. You can find the leaks easier and also just not have an underside that looks like that.

The high pressure washer at the car wash will do nothing on that. I would just jack it up and get under there with a bunch of different sized scrapers and start scraping that off. Horrible job but that is the best way to do it I think. Once you get all of the big stuff off you can buy a can of engine junk spray it on and leave for 30 mins and then wash off the residual.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
What is the best way to clean all of this? I'm thinking a trip to the local car wash using their high pressure hose. I'm sure it's a tranny leak but when I wiped my finger over the spot on the driveway, it was clear. Not black, not brown, not reddish ... clear.

If that crud is as beige as it looks, I'd wonder whether the clear (colourless?) liquid could be water.

That beige stuff looks like 'chocolate milk' water-in-oil emulsion.

At the very least, I'd clean the outside and drain the transmission to see if there's water in there with whatever oil is left. (Usual caveat about checking that the fill plugs aren't siezed before you undo the drain plugs.)

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

nineteensixtyfiveVG wrote:
there is just so much crud under there its tough to be sure. It could be from multiple spots. cleaning it up is a good start. You can find the leaks easier and also just not have an underside that looks like that.

The high pressure washer at the car wash will do nothing on that. I would just jack it up and get under there with a bunch of different sized scrapers and start scraping that off. Horrible job but that is the best way to do it I think. Once you get all of the big stuff off you can buy a can of engine junk spray it on and leave for 30 mins and then wash off the residual.

I was afraid that might be the answer to clean it. Laughing It gets hot early here, so it might be a multiple morning job ... early morning. Either like this or clean, obvious it's leaking from somewhere. Thanks for your reply.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
If that crud is as beige as it looks, I'd wonder whether the clear (colourless?) liquid could be water. That beige stuff looks like 'chocolate milk' water-in-oil emulsion. At the very least, I'd clean the outside and drain the transmission to see if there's water in there with whatever oil is left. (Usual caveat about checking that the fill plugs aren't siezed before you undo the drain plugs.)

Thanks for the tip about checking the fill plugs before draining it.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

I would get some simple green in a spray bottle, and spray it copiously.
I'd do the engine compartment too.

wait overnight, and go to the car wash in the morning. Pressure wash the engine compartment also (avoid paper hoses)
Yes pressure wash the trans, inside of wheels, underside of engine, underside of cylinders, underside of battery tray L and R

If you feel like scraping, plastic scrapers don't leave big ugly scratches like metal ones do.
Check axle boots -- do they have cracks?

I like to pressure wash in the rockers and doglegs... dirt collects in there and causes rust.

Depending on interior, you could hose out the inside too while you are at it.
not good for cloth headliner, fine for a tin can panelvan

Yes on topping gear oil. FWIW, it should be changed every 30K,
checked/ topped every 6k miles, or yearly if driven less.
gear oil has a distinctive smell, so you can tell if the drip is gear oil vs anything else by smelling it.

brake fluid is thinner than engine or gear oil.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

An update and then I will reply to Clara's post after this.

I called my local shop, who had fixed the RGB leak last month. I told him the situation and followed his suggestion. I coated it heavy with oven cleaner, let it set, hosed it off and took it directly to his shop yesterday. It is being fixed as we speak. I don't the the muscle power, tools and space available where I live to do this type of repair that many find the job easy. My surgeon assured me if I continue to lift heavy things he and I would be seeing each other sooner than expected for a new hip. (caused by a bicycle wreck) So the strength I would need to muscle the engine out and anything else in my small work area would be tough for me.

I'll post here again after the job is finished and what Mark found out. He has a sweet 68 DC if anyone is interested.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

That's the plan when I get it back. I noticed in your photos that none of your electrics were covered nor the top of the carb ... was your engine left running during all of that cleaning? THAT is how I'd like to clean mine. It was suggested I cover the distributor, top of carb, coil, anything electric.

Quote:
wait overnight, and go to the car wash in the morning. Pressure wash the engine compartment also (avoid paper hoses)
Yes pressure wash the trans, inside of wheels, underside of engine, underside of cylinders, underside of battery tray L and R

If you feel like scraping, plastic scrapers don't leave big ugly scratches like metal ones do.
Check axle boots -- do they have cracks?

Axle boots are brand new and were installed by previous owner before I bought it. I don't feel like scraping anything but I do have those plastic scrapers in case I do decide that is the best way. When I inspected the bus when it was delivered there as not a lot of dirt in the rockers but I will go back to the car wash and wash the underside like you suggested. Thank you.
Quote:

I like to pressure wash in the rockers and doglegs... dirt collects in there and causes rust.

Depending on interior, you could hose out the inside too while you are at it.
not good for cloth headliner, fine for a tin can panelvan

I cleaned the inside the first week I got it.

Quote:

Yes on topping gear oil. FWIW, it should be changed every 30K,
checked/ topped every 6k miles, or yearly if driven less.
gear oil has a distinctive smell, so you can tell if the drip is gear oil vs anything else by smelling it.

brake fluid is thinner than engine or gear oil.

I will put this information in my reminder program. Most likely it will be yearly as I have too many vehicles, two vw's ... so they never get 6,000 miles on them in a year. Another reason I don't have room to do this type of maintenance in my garage, no place to park the two vehicles are in there now.

Thanks again for the great photos on how to clean that engine bay ... that is exactly what I wanted to do.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:
Clara wrote:

That's the plan when I get it back. I noticed in your photos that none of your electrics were covered nor the top of the carb ... was your engine left running during all of that cleaning? THAT is how I'd like to clean mine. It was suggested I cover the distributor, top of carb, coil, anything electric.

Quote:

Axle boots are brand new and were installed by previous owner before I bought it. I don't feel like scraping anything but I do have those plastic sc....

Your bus looks nice!

The carb is covered on top by the air cleaner. Makes sure yours is. Right, you do not want water running into the engine!
I do not aim at carb or distributor. But it doesn't matter if the outside gets wet. Yes I leave the engine running. I like a clean engine compartment. I aim at the engine tin. Down at crank pulley area. I want the wires degreased, if they are greasy. coil doesn't care, but don't blast the wires off. Get around/ below the oil sender, sometimes leaks happen there and it's oily.
I aim at roof of engine compartment left to right entire roof. At gas tank from left to right, or right to left. under engine at fins. at underside of cylinders.

If the distributor gets wet inside, the engine stalls. Don't freak. You may have to wipe out the cap with a clean dry cloth to get it to start again.
If water is in the brakes they don't works as well at first. So test brake when driving after.

Some cleaning products like purple power leave marks on paint. Simple green does not mark the paint.

The orange bus had been sitting for years in a field, and the maiden voyage was to the car wash. That was the test drive to see how the tranny was. (no reverse, if you wondered)
It was *very dusty* as well as having oiliness in the engine compartment. It was dusty in all the places the sun don't shine, as well as everywhere you could see. Hosed out the cargo area. Pulled the front seat out and hosed out the cab, including package tray. Apart from the seat, that bus had no interior.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Your bus looks nice!

If the distributor gets wet inside, the engine stalls. Don't freak. You may have to wipe out the cap with a clean dry cloth to get it to start again.

The shop owner told me today to line the inside of the distributor with some WD-40 and it should be all right. He said it's not on the water that gets in there but any condensation.

So I will spray everything late this after right before the sun goes down then hit the car wash first thing tomorrow morning. I also like a clean underside and engine compartment.

Thanks, it's one of my favorite colors and the closest I had seen for years to my 63 Panel that I bought from Art in SLC many years ago. This 64 Double Door will be my daily driver.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

Update on the leak repair. Very simple fix.

- Did not need to pull the engine
- Drain plugs tight
- Leaking at the fill plug
- Fixed, tightened and tranny top off with fluid
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

we used to run a kitchen glove on the distributor of our outlaw frame racing buggy, 1 finger for each lead.

Dont bother spraying WD40 before the wash. Take the can with you and do it afterwards. Itll drive out any moisture out of the cap and body really well.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Advice On Transmission Leak Reply with quote

zimblewinder wrote:
we used to run a kitchen glove on the distributor of our outlaw frame racing buggy, 1 finger for each lead.

Dont bother spraying WD40 before the wash. Take the can with you and do it afterwards. Itll drive out any moisture out of the cap and body really well.

Thanks ... good ideas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: