Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ? Reply with quote

I've done a few hours of searching online but not found anyone offering a repop of this. Mine is super crunchy along the bottom of the door and is now in much worse shape since I mucked with it to get pictures and measurements....

Is there a good off-the shelf equivalent that's being used instead? Or is this yet another bit of unobtanium?

If it is, how much demand is there? I know there are places that do custom extrusions but it'd be cost prohibitive for a small quantity.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some of my amazing artwork... If I find that the measurements are wrong, I'll update this.

Last edited by Thompson2 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Source for SO34/35 icebox door seal? Reply with quote

You could hunt around here https://www.steelerubber.com/
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for SO34/35 icebox door seal? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
You could hunt around here https://www.steelerubber.com/

Wow! Lots of good stuff there... but sadly no icebox seals...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for SO34/35 icebox door seal? Reply with quote

Anything from these guys that might cross over? https://www.trimlok.com/
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for SO34/35 icebox door seal? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Anything from these guys that might cross over? https://www.trimlok.com/

Not that I could see. All of the stuff with a similar profile was clip-on which would make getting the screws back through it a real pain... plus removing it in the future would probably damage the liner.

Still on the hunt.

By the way - does anyone know what the original seal would have been made of? Rubber or maybe vinyl?
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ? Reply with quote

I've spent quite a bit of time looking for a close match for the seal but there's nothing that I've found that really matches the factory seal. I found some that are sort of close, but they are different profiles and I could only find them in grey.

As such, I've started looking at custom extrusions and have sent feelers out to a few companies that offer them. The downside is that there are always minimum run sizes. They vary anywhere from 500 feet to 50,000 Shocked Shocked feet. Cost per foot will likely not be horrible even with the up-front tooling cost (less than $20 per foot seems likely).

The icebox takes about 6 feets, so any size run will produce enough to supply most of the planet with new seals. I'm tempted to have some made, assuming that I can get 1000 feet or less, but for 6 feet that makes no sense at all.

So - any suggestions on how to gauge interest and what the pain-point on price would likely be? I've done group buys on stuff in the past, but not where there was a large outlay up front...
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ? Reply with quote

Perhaps you could expand the reach a bit. This looks like the seal that would be the same as on an SO23 ice box unit as well as the SO34. That being said, try posting in the westy Facebook group to elicit more support. https://www.facebook.com/groups/679883908725101/?ref=share

I need the seal and would commit to buying enough to accommodate a bus.

Last edited by npbusguy on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ? Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
Perhaps you could expand the reach a bit. This looks like the seal that would would on an SO23 ice box unit as well as the SO34. That being said, try posting in the westy Facebook group to elicit more support. https://www.facebook.com/groups/679883908725101/?ref=share

I need the seal and would commit to buying enough to accommodate a bus.

Not a bad idea. I'm a member of that FB group, so that'd be easy.

I should also figure out which models share this seal. I was only aware of 34/35, but it sounds like the 23 is the same as well? Any others that fall into that?
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ? Reply with quote

Early so23 1959-? use a different seal, a foam one and a different icebox, oval shape as opposed to the squarish later version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ? Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
Early so23 1959-? use a different seal, a foam one and a different icebox, oval shape as opposed to the squarish later version.

You are right, it is different. I remembered the profile looking similar, but that is because the seal was deformed.

SO23 ice box seal below

Still, the original poster might gain more interest through multiple outlets.
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ? Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
otahuhu wrote:

You are right, it is different. I remembered the profile looking similar, but that is because the seal was deformed.

SO23 ice box seal below

Still, the original poster might gain more interest through multiple outlets.

Nice pic, that's the type of seal I was thinking of. Tony H has got a very nice seal in my old 59 that he owns. I'm pretty sure the later so23s use the flipseat seal. I have a Dec 60 icebox that's the later style from memory, unfortunately its in lock-down and miles away from me. Maybe someone else has a late so23 and can confirm?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ? Reply with quote

my very early has the seal at the cabinet, not the door and i would say its solid type

otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ? Reply with quote

This is a 59 so23 icebox, pic from gallery. Seal on the ice box as "perello" pointed out. Im having trouble finding pics of the late so23 icebox. Do you have any other pics of your ice box NP?

otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ? Reply with quote

This is a dec 60 icebox. Sorry for the crappy pic its all I have, but the seal is on the door and could potentially be the same as the one that that your proposing to make. Unfortunately the bus is stored miles away at the moment and I don't envisage getting up there anytime soon.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ? Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
This is a dec 60 icebox. Sorry for the crappy pic its all I have, but the seal is on the door and could potentially be the same as the one that that your proposing to make. Unfortunately the bus is stored miles away at the moment and I don't envisage getting up there anytime soon.

Actually, that one won't be quite the same. I'll be making this is white/off white and yours is grey. But if it's the same profile, it would probably still look great. Smile
rjelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Now - Interest level in Repop seal? SO34/35 icebox seal source ? Reply with quote

Hi
Has anyone done repros for the seal, or any suggestion where to source a seal for a SO23?
Thanks
Ralph
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: