Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Import bus from Mexico to Canada
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dann Tellez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

Hi,

In the near future, I'm planning to import into Canada my 65 microbus, Has anyone imported classic cars like mine lately? What are the basic gobernment requirements?

Thank!
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

All of the info needed is on the government of Canada website.

There are many steps to take care of beforehand, but it's almost an easier job because the vehicle is older. Once it arrives you will need to have 2 inspections. One is a national inspection, which is paid for at the border, and it is done at a Canadian Tire. The second one is a provincial inspection, which can be done at any number of inspection facilities (best find one that is old VW friendly, and one that you trust).

I am an inspector and have done quite a few of my friends older VWs. To save them time and money I have them tear off the drums at home and I can measure them there (and take pics), then when it comes to the shop it is mostly a formality and paperwork. But, everything must be in working condition and safe to pass an inspection (not even torn seats will pass).

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Dann Tellez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
All of the info needed is on the government of Canada website.

There are many steps to take care of beforehand, but it's almost an easier job because the vehicle is older. Once it arrives you will need to have 2 inspections. One is a national inspection, which is paid for at the border, and it is done at a Canadian Tire. The second one is a provincial inspection, which can be done at any number of inspection facilities (best find one that is old VW friendly, and one that you trust).

I am an inspector and have done quite a few of my friends older VWs. To save them time and money I have them tear off the drums at home and I can measure them there (and take pics), then when it comes to the shop it is mostly a formality and paperwork. But, everything must be in working condition and safe to pass an inspection (not even torn seats will pass).

Gordo.

Thank you for you reply Gordo, according to your experience, what are the most common mods that are not allowed in Canada?. Recently I have lowered my bus a couple inches, but I want to be sure future modifications won´t be a problem in the future.

Thanks.
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

What province are you bringing it into? It varies by province to province as to what kind of provincial safety inspection you will require if any. Here we don’t require a provincial inspection on a car built prior to 1987 as long as it’s registered as an antique.
70 911T
91 Westy

Last edited by Trevor P on Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

^^^

CDN Fed's only are interested in charging you taxes on the declared value of the car- they could really care less about mechanical fitness on vintage cars they just want tax money

Provinces are more in to mechanical fitness and licensing and as already stated these standards vary widely on a province by province basis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

Dann Tellez ......just curious how you'll get it to Canada ? Boat or drive up etc ? Long haul truck in a container ? What's the cheapest/safest etc ?
Dann Tellez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
What province are you bringing it into? It varies by province to province as to what kind of provincial safety inspection you will require if any. Here we don’t require a provincial inspection on a car built prior to 1987 as long as it’s registered as an antique.

I was planning to enter to Canada thru Ontario, however, final destination is Montreal, Quebec. What do you consider is the best option? I think Ontario has more flexible rules than Quebec.
Dann Tellez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
^^^

CDN Fed's only are interested in charging you taxes on the declared value of the car- they could really care less about mechanical fitness on vintage cars they just want tax money

Provinces are more in to mechanical fitness and licensing and as already stated these standards vary widely on a province by province basis

How do they determine the value of the car? Is there a rank depending on how good preserve it is, or just with the manufacturing year?
Dann Tellez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Dann Tellez ......just curious how you'll get it to Canada ? Boat or drive up etc ? Long haul truck in a container ? What's the cheapest/safest etc ?

I definetly preffer to drive it and make a road trip along the USA. Currently my bus is located at the north of Mexico about two hours from the nearest border, so my plan is to make a long road trip and enter thru the Detroit port entry. Looks like a big adventure. If something show up down the road, I would call a friend of mine and he surely would help me with his haul truck. Sounds more expensive but eventually I´ll evaluate what´s the best option.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

This sounds like the best plan !

Dann Tellez wrote:
definetly preffer to drive it and make a road trip along the USA. Currently my bus is located at the north of Mexico about two hours from the nearest border, so my plan is to make a long road trip and enter thru the Detroit port entry. Looks like a big adventure. If something show up down the road, I would call a friend of mine and he surely would help me with his haul truck. Sounds more expensive but eventually I´ll evaluate what´s the best option.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

You better check the COVID quarantine rules for border crossings. It's a long way to go to be turned away.

Heinz Nordhoff
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
^^^

This is correct for Ontario. There are many factors to consider:

- are you a Canadian citizen?
- what province are you registering it in? All border crossings will have same federal rules if its a purchase. Difference is what province you are registering it in. Sounds like Quebec so you would be subject to their inspection process.
- is it in your name already or is it a purchase? If a purchase you will have to import and pay 5% gst at border on purchase price.
- if its already yours and owned it will be a different import process at border

Good luck
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Import bus from Mexico to Canada Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
You better check the COVID quarantine rules for border crossings. It's a long way to go to be turned away.

And yes, the border is closed now. Even some citizens have been turned away.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: