Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

looking for a good machine shop
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: looking for a good machine shop Reply with quote

I'm just getting back into the air-cooled realm, and would like to find a good, reputable machine shop locally so I don't have to ship stuff cross-country. Anyone know of any places in the eastern PA/NJ area? I'm near Allentown. Mostly looking for case and head work, nothing fancy, just rebuilding stock and mildly modified motors.

Thanks!
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for a good machine shop Reply with quote

The VW Store in Drums Pa.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: looking for a good machine shop Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check them out
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: looking for a good machine shop Reply with quote

Let me know if you don't find anyone close by. I am in VA - I am able to machine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for a good machine shop Reply with quote

Quote:
The VW Store in Drums Pa.
I agree. I've been using Dennis' and Misty's machining services there for about 15 years; maybe a batch every 2 or 3 years. Here's the latest work which they did for me, in late 2018. Neither case needed an align-bore.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-H5 case: cylinder spigots decked, 8 mm case savers installed, oil galleys tapped for plugs for easy clean-out.
-1970 D case (dual-relief)- cylinder spigots opened for 90.5 cylinders, 8 mm case savers.

All pairs of heads are stock 35mm intake/32mm exhaust, and have unbroken exhaust studs. I asked to have the steps machined out in the dual ports' combustion chambers.
-Single port: Opened to 90.5 mm bore size
-Dual port 1: Opened to 94 mm bore
-Dual port 2: Opened to 90.5 mm bore
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for a good machine shop Reply with quote

Nice to hear from someone who has been using them long term. When I"m ready, I'll give them a shout.
Thanks!
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for a good machine shop Reply with quote

Just had my first transaction with Misty for some parts. Super quick responding to e-mails, and she called to speak with me directly to straighten out an error on my part. Shipment was made with hours, not days. I can't say enough good things about my first impressions. Thanks to the Samba members who recommended them. They'll be getting a lot of my business!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: