Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last post I should've added a picture here's what I got
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGBOY1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

Found this kit today at a local swapmeet. It's for a 36hp
Not that often you find a complete unit with air cleaners.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

nice score, i'd never seen them with flat air cleaners before. what is the sticker on the bottom?
BUGBOY1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

Here is s better picture
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

Congratulation! Very cool find!
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

Thanks, those stickers really make that set something special.
They also makes me wonder if my recessed aircleaners came with foam type filters... they came with the mesh inserts like yours, i just assumed they were a later upgrade.
lovinbronx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

BUGBOY1976 wrote:
Found this kit today at a local swapmeet. It's for a 36hp
Not that often you find a complete unit with air cleaners.

Great score Nathan!

Dan
Nathan199371
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

Hey just after some photos of how the choke attaches trying to attach mine ATM Smile if you could post some photos or instructions up or send me a pm would really appreciate it thanks Smile
Mr Bubble Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

My Manaro motors kit

Looks like it’s been cut and extended with a 60mm long rubber hose bridging the gap maybe to fit a 40hp motor.

Shown fitted to a 36hp motor I have on the bench.

It’s got the flat style filters, not sure of the year this kit was made.

I really love this kit as it’s made in Melbourne (where I live) of the time and uses made in Birmingham ( my birth place) S U carburettors, for vintage air cooled VW’s

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

I want to try to build a set up like that using a pair of Kiehin 40mm CV carbs off of a Harley Sportsters, they also have accelerators pumps built in...

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

I like it, post up progress
Mildoval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

Mr Bubble Head wrote:
My Manaro motors kit

Looks like it’s been cut and extended with a 60mm long rubber hose bridging the gap maybe to fit a 40hp motor.

I really love this kit as it’s made in Melbourne (where I live) of the time and uses made in Birmingham ( my birth place) S U carburettors, for vintage air cooled VW’s

Hey mate, do you plan on restoring your kit? I’ve got one set that I think is for a 40hp motor and another manifold I think is for a 36hp. I intend to restore at least one of them and fit to a rebuilt 36hp for my 54 Beetle. Would love to see one completed!
GELS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

x2 please! I have just picked up a 36hp kit and I'm keen to fit it to a 54 resto I'm currently neck deep in! Just starting researching them, so would love to find out more...
Mr Bubble Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

Mildoval56 wrote:
Mr Bubble Head wrote:
My Manaro motors kit

Hey mate, do you plan on restoring your kit? I’ve got one set that I think is for a 40hp motor and another manifold I think is for a 36hp. I intend to restore at least one of them and fit to a rebuilt 36hp for my 54 Beetle. Would love to see one completed!

Same here I have few queries regarding the original throttle linkage setup which must not of been to great as most kits from the pictures I’ve seen have been modified in some way.

I have managed to crack out the brazing of the two halves of the balance tube back into one piece today I also removed and repaired the balance tube vacuum take off someone had added probably around the same time they cut the balance tube in order to fit to a 40hp engine.

Mildoval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

Nice work Cool
GELS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

This is where I'm at with the kit I have. A couple of things I'm struggling with is how to work the chokes and finding air filters. I was also wondering if you could run the fuel pot on the other side of the carb body for a bit of OCD symmetry Rolling Eyes
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

Hi GELS, did you import your kit to NZ or was it sold there in period?

I am working on getting answers to some of your questions.

You have a PM too.
GELS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

Hey Henry, I bought it as a complete kit a few years ago now, from a guy up Brisbane way if I remember rightly. But looking at it, and doing some research, the left hand H1's are a bit more common place than the right hand sides (God knows why?) Everything on the carb(apart from the fuel/float pot) looks like it would swap over easily enough, But I am struggling to find a 30degree RH fuel pot even.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

very nice work GELS!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
GELS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian made: Monaro Motors dual SU carburetor kit Reply with quote

Cheers Chickensoup! She's got a bit more work to do yet before I can fire her up though Wink and quite a bit more head scratching for me!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: