Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

With Tour cancelled this year I'm helping a few people out locally, and the current project is a '79 Westy that has been smogged for cash under the table for a decade. Now the owner wants it to pass properly (and drive better,) so into my parts stash we dive!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks to KentABQ for the intake runners! Polished the injector bores before and after paint for perfect sealing.

The beast, as it came off the tow truck:

"Oh, let me do my favorite thing and remove the deck-lid so I can work from above and below without interruption!"

"Oh…"

Ever wonder why some Type 4 engines seem to run hotter than others? Laughing

The PO was kind enough to leave all the wiring unmolested, though the double-relay and FPR will be replaced with new and kept as spares. The engine is from a '78, so the EGR hole will be grommeted and used for the eventual O2 sensor wire.

Anything that seals in rubber needs to be clean, especially because we won't be using any hose clamps on vacuum fittings!

Of course this is what the fuel lines looked like……

Classic breather hose setup… Laughing

Polish your grounds, especially since the electronic hall effect distributor module will ground here too.

Maximum disassembly, as it sits now, waiting for my 3d-printed intake block-off plates so I can really get cleaning in there without worrying about contamination.

Since the bus is an auto, I modified this manual plenum to have the correct vacuum-restrictor to the decel/FPR circuit. Here's a sneak peek of what we're shooting for…

Anybody with a '79 CA exhaust system in Southern California? I really don't want to ship the complete system from Oregon in the classifieds…

See you on then road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Solid information here in regards to the strenuous and peculiar 79 CA emission models. I'm tagging along for a 79 Westy that just came in with the same setup.

Thank you for documenting all of these steps and components Robbie. It's nice seeing them in actual photos versus black and white exploded views in the manuals.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

1979 california or federal? Federal will need a working EGR or they will call it tampering. California didn't have an EGR but had O2 sensor with a cat. Magnaflow makes a cat now. Be careful with any used cats, BAR likes to go around and try to trap people buying or selling used cats. It is like a $10K fine in CA. They pretty much own the person if they catch them.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Damn you KentABQ.

I wanted to get that stuff out of MY garage.

Robbie - can you clarify... don't you need to install the EGR system to pass smog in CA? (This is just ploy to get one more thing out of my garage). I read you are going to use the EGR hole for an O2 wire. The engine from a '78 had an EGR but you don't need to put it back together that way? I ask because I do not see the EGR cross over pipe you would need - and mine would rather live out west.

I'm glad I live in a non smog state !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Robbie - can you clarify... don't you need to install the EGR system to pass smog in CA? (This is just ploy to get one more thing out of my garage). I read you are going to use the EGR hole for an O2 wire. The engine from a '78 had an EGR but you don't need to put it back together that way? I ask because I do not see the EGR cross over pipe you would need - and mine would rather live out west.

The '79-'80 (edit, thanks SlowLane!) CA-spec cars are the only VW that doesn't need EGR in order to pass smog. It didn't come with it from the factory; the mixture was controlled by the ECU's interpretation of the oxygen sensor. This lead to MUCH cleaner tailpipe emissions and longer cat life, at the expense of significantly hotter combustion temps.

This car, though the donor engine is from a '78, needs to have the '79 emissions components. I doubt the smog shop will care about a few extra holes in the tin. Cool

Also, I have BigEmma's complete EGR setup in my garage if I need to retrofit another bus in the future… If you have mechanical EGR valves, I collect those and can occasionally make one good valve out of several cores.

--

Here is the Motor manual my local shop uses for the visual portion of the test. Regardless of what anybody on the internet says, this bus will be subjected to this list. As you can see, there are several errors on the list, just like what Ratwell documented with the Mitchell guide years ago.

Last edited by airschooled on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Damn you KentABQ.
I wanted to get that stuff out of MY garage.

That's why I pawned all my extra FI stuff off on Robbie. Smile

andrewtf wrote:
I'm glad I live in a non smog state !

After living in smog states for 44 driving years and moving to a semi-non-smog state, I've come to appreciate that too.
The county I'm living in only requires smog tests on 1986 vehicles and newer.

BTW, Washington State stopped smog testing as of this year. Dancing
Maybe California can follow suit. Pray
(Although the smog testing, repairs and enforcement make a lot of money for a lot of people in CA and for the State...
so I'm betting that's not going to happen.)

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

What's a smog test?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Robbie - when the test is done, the tech types the VIN into the computer. That uploads to BAR. BAR's computer then tells the technician what to check step by step. That is why some folks will not get tested on some things while others will. It is also why one year the test might include a visual looking for the EO # on the cat while other years they don't look for it. One year they wanted to PRESSURIZE my canister system way too much, and I said no, so the tech called BAR, discussed it with them, and they waivered it as long as the hoses looked good. I came back the next day and he completed the test. One time they had a shop check the factory timing, and because I was timing it to 28 BTDC at full in they flunked it - it was off the 7.5 BTDC on the timing scale at idle.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
What's a smog test?

A sure-fire way to keep all the late bays in California running like tops.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
(Although the smog testing, repairs and enforcement make a lot of money for a lot of people in CA and for the State...

We've seen from Covid that a month or two of SIGNIFICANTLY fewer cars on the road does absolutely nothing about local air quality, reminding us that loosely-regulated industry pollutes FAR more than modern vehicles.

Around November, I tried to get a bus tested in Palm Desert, and five of the six shops I called let their tailpipe/evap tester machines fall into disrepair, and weren't bothering replacing them. With new cars being damn clean out the tailpipe, it's only a matter of years before the system is gone, or transitioned into a visual only/smoke test which would take a quarter of the time, but probably still cost $100…
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
KentABQ wrote:

We've seen from Covid that a month or two of SIGNIFICANTLY fewer cars on the road does absolutely nothing about local air quality, reminding us that loosely-regulated industry pollutes FAR more than modern vehicles.

Around November, I tried to get a bus tested in Palm Desert, and five of the six shops I called let their tailpipe/evap tester machines fall into disrepair, and weren't bothering replacing them. With new cars being damn clean out the tailpipe, it's only a matter of years before the system is gone, or transitioned into a visual only/smoke test which would take a quarter of the time, but probably still cost $100…

The state Senate and Assembly play around every year with a bill to not test pre-OBDC but slap a $265 - $300 bi-annual fee on us plus normal renewal fees. They would use the money to help under privileged folks fix the OBDC cars that don't pass. BUT we are still liable to keep our cars smog legal in case a remote sniffer tags us, or a remote test station. AND we have to qualify for collector insurance as part of it, which means a garage in your future when/if it passes. My guy has a contract thru BAR to keep his old dyno machine serviced and when it died 3 years ago they couldn't get parts anymore. He had to close, the folks who were renting to him sold the building so when it got resolved he had to move.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Bummer about your smog shop.

I would qualify for that new program, except I drive too many miles for collector insurance... Laughing

Steve, do you or anyone else have the EO number for a ‘79 CA catalytic converter? I’m seeing mixed results in searches, but most helpful threads are 10+ years old; I want to stay current.

Robbie
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

I am looking at the cat that was (I believe) original to my 79 CA bus. The VW part number is 039 131 701A.

The only other number on the cat is OS0692422. Not absolutely sure of the first letter. Don't know if that is what you are looking for.

I recently removed all the left side tin, heat exchanger, manifold, cat and the crossover pipe and replaced it with a left side Federal/Canada heat exchanger, and tin along with a 4 into 1 header, collector with an O2 bung and turbo muffler. O2 sensor is still connected. I was going to replace all the topside FI parts but may just disconnect the O2 sensor (as some here have suggested) and see how it runs. As it is, it has more power in the mid and upper rpm range.

No smog checks here for the last 5 1/2 years. Oh, and when COVID hit here our air quality improved dramatically and we never had a total shutdown either.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

The EO is on the magnaflow converter. Right now they only hassle Vanagon owners on the Emico one.

The Magnaflow direct fits 75-78 and 79-81 Federal without O2 - meaning it is not the dual flange one for stock California 1979 -> models. If you use a 75-78 system on a 79 then the oval port heads will run hotter than the 79 style square port with short pipes to the heater boxes to dump heat. It has a larger cross section than the Emico so I am looking forward to seeing if the head temps are lower.

Also - my understanding from reading the CARB II rules when they were passed, if you come across a NOS VW one that a dealer can kiss the sale of that would be excluded also. The pisser has always been that VW used the same catalytic on Beetles but the state doesn't consider the Beetle ones to be legal since they are a car and we are a truck.

"on 1995 and older model-year non-on-board diagnostic II (non-ODB II) trucks with one catalytic converter per bank (T-1). Series 3391000 TWC may be sold as a universal or direct fit part." 2nd paragraph in the PDF.

SGKent wrote:
the EO is D-193-132. https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-193-132.pdf .That allows it to be sold in California. O'Reillys needs to update their system.

tommu wrote:
sure is:

SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

The '79-'80 CA-spec cars are the only VW that doesn't need EGR in order to pass smog. It didn't come with it from the factory

Fixed that for ya. EGR made a re-appearance with the '81 air-cooled Vanagon, both Federal and CA, and continued through the end of the air-cooled run.

The EGR plumbing is different between the two flavours. When I was trying to source an EGR Filter for my Canadian/Federal-spec Westy, only the CA-spec filter was readily available.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverboot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Robbie,
I have a 79 CA here in LV, NV that I smog yearly. I can take pictures, grab part #'s, etc. or whatever you need.

Scott
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

SlowLane wrote:
airschooled wrote:

The '79-'80 CA-spec cars are the only VW that doesn't need EGR in order to pass smog. It didn't come with it from the factory

Fixed that for ya. EGR made a re-appearance with the '81 air-cooled Vanagon, both Federal and CA, and continued through the end of the air-cooled run.

The EGR plumbing is different between the two flavours. When I was trying to source an EGR Filter for my Canadian/Federal-spec Westy, only the CA-spec filter was readily available.

Thank you. I'll add that to my memory. Did they use the same valve as the bays?
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Thank you. I'll add that to my memory. Did they use the same valve as the bays?

Mechanical valve bolted to the front left corner of the intake plenum, actuated via spring-loaded rod to the throttle bell-crank. Designed to be closed off at either idle or wide-open throttle, but open at points in-between.

I gather that's the same one?
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

there seem to be two styles of the mechanical EGR. One is a smooth steel block that was machined. The valve inside has a slightly different diaphragm. The other is the cast one that has a couple machined surfaces. One is kind of a copperish-blue tint on the steel, and the other an cad-plated gold color when new. They seem to inter-change. Over the years I've seen the smooth ones occasionally and have wondered it those were made by VW when the others ran out, or if they were a vendor who reproduced them. First time I saw one I thought it might be one someone machined but since others pop up it isn't one-off.

Smooth, ignore IVWShane's circle

most common

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction, SlowLane.

I have a pile of mechanical EGR valves, both styles, though I won't be needing any for this particular engine.

The only new cat I can source is a "drop in replacement" EO# D-193-132. It's $350 out the door, so I'm going to visit the shop again and ask how they'll be judging the cat. Sometimes they have to crawl up under and look at the EO, some just check that it's installed, some don't check at all. We'll see what their computer wants them to do. (The stickers have all been painted over; only the electronic ignition module tells me that it's a CA spec, and the technicians don't know that.)

Normally I'm in the "don't buy parts that they won't check" camp, but the CA-spec emissions requirements are way too narrow to pass without a good 3-way cat.

--

Powder-coat shop is taking forevveerrrr on the tins, so I'm rattle canning my spares in case I get this thing on the road before they're done… Cool

Robbie

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: