Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tail Light Lenses
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking for a set of tail light lenses for my 1974 Thing. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

DSVW wrote:
Hi, I am looking for a set of tail light lenses for my 1974 Thing. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

The tail lights are the same found on 73-79 Beetles. Affectionately referred to as "Elephant feet". Stock or repro, they pretty much look the same outside. The insides can be quite different and are probably not interchangeable between manufacturers. Lens shades can also vary between manufacturers. I suggest buying a matching pair at the same time.

Depends on what you want to do. Original stock tail lights were side specific. Had to do with the side reflectors I believe. Check both theSamba's Thing and Type 1/Bug - 1968-up classifieds.

Plenty of aftermarket sources with varying levels of quality. There are the 4 bulb styles and there are the 3 bulb styles where two of the circuits are combined into a dual bulb. Some of today's repos are no longer side specific. Hella has the reputation of being the better of them all. Some aftermarkets have a problem where lens fade or prematurely crack.

I ended up purchasing a set of 4 bulb, side specific lights from CIP. It's an all plastic model that includes the wiring. CIP calls it their "good quality" version.

There was a time when a flat or dome version (low profile) was being produced. Looks nice if you are going for a cleaner look. I don't haven't seen them advertised for a while. I mark it down as a passing fad. Many suppliers discontinued tham due to customer complaints.

Example of flat tail light (Stolen from G.I. Joe's Photobucket)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

The low-profile or flat elephant foot style tail light assembly looks cool and is certainly more sleek however when you replace the original elephant foot style with the flat you completely lose the side marker functionality that the original style provides since it protrudes from the rear so much.
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

Thanks. I am looking for the lenses only. So I can buy 73-79 Super Beetle lenses and they should fit right on?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

DSVW wrote:
Thanks. I am looking for the lenses only. So I can buy 73-79 Super Beetle lenses and they should fit right on?

Yes, but....some lenses may require a little modification to fit. I notice a disclaimer on some of them that the lens deflectors need to be trimmed or removed to fit the stock 1973 & 1974 tail light bases.
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

OK Thanks.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
There was a time when a flat or dome version (low profile) was being produced. Looks nice if you are going for a cleaner look. I don't haven't seen them advertised for a while. I mark it down as a passing fad. Many suppliers discontinued tham due to customer complaints.

Example of flat tail light (Stolen from G.I. Joe's Photobucket)

They filled with with water and were not as visible a stock.

If you only need the lenses and still have the original bases... these are used and cheap.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1925065

These are complete.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2388033

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

it sucks trying to find good used original us style elephant ear tail lights that don't have all of the sun burnt crackling on the top of the lense. I think i have about 8 now that suck and finally found 2 that are decent
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

obus wrote:
it sucks trying to find good used original us style elephant ear tail lights

NOS... even better Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

^^^^^i need those!!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

Is the lens deflector that needs to be trimmed or removed part of the actual lens or is it part of the other component that holds the bulbs. I see 2 fins that look aluminum that are attached to the socket side (non lens side). The tail light lens actually slides over them almost like a guide. Is that the part that needs to be trimmed? I would rather not have to cut anything but if it is my only option than so be it.
Thing68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

I just installed some new after market lenses and had to trim the tin work that is on the lens. After trimming they fit great.
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

Thing68, Did you have to trim much off? Also, were did you pick up your lenses? Thanks.
Thing68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

I got them from SoCal auto parts. I just snipped of a little at a time until they fit. I took off about a 1/2 inch, maybe a little less.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

Hella was making Universal Elephant lenses a while back in Mexico. I haven't heard that they stopped yet. You can get the usual color or smoke lenses. They are all available in the classifieds.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

I got these:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Euro-Flat-Tail-Light-Assembly-Clear-1973-Type-1-p/euro-flat-clear.htm

I sanded the edge of the lenses on a piece of flat glass to help them seal better, also I removed the silver paint around the frame with paint thinner.
I then painted the upper clear portion yellow on the inside with Krylon Stained Glass paint, the outside got a UV protective coating.
This winter I may coat the red portion too, as they seem a little pink to me when lit.

72 Baja
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

Recently ran across the last post with the Krylon stained glass spray paint and decided to give it a try on my heavily faded lenses.
I should have taken before pictures but take my word for it, the lenses only had a little orange left in them on the edges.
I washed the lenses down with soap and water and let them dry for a few hours and taped up any areas I didn't want to spray. I must have put around 12 light coats on them, letting each coat dry anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, I kept checking the outside of the lenses to check the coverage and color. I let them dry fully and reinstalled.

Turn signal shows well through the paint and its actually orange again instead of white. Made a huge difference in the looks as I stop to admire them each time I walk past.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

kenj06 wrote:
Recently ran across the last post with the Krylon stained glass spray paint and decided to give it a try

Turn signal shows well through the paint and its actually orange again instead of white. Made a huge difference in the looks as I stop to admire them each time I walk past.

Thanks for bringing this post up. Going to try the stained glass paint.
You can improve the orangeness of your turn signals by replacing the bulb with an orange one. Or, paint your existing bulbs with your orange stained glass paint!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail Light Lenses Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

Thanks for bringing this post up. Going to try the stained glass paint.
You can improve the orangeness of your turn signals by replacing the bulb with an orange one. Or, paint your existing bulbs with your orange stained glass paint!

Thanks for the idea on the orange bulb. I think I have one in the bulb bin I can try out or plenty of paint left to try it out also.
Good luck with the project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: