Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California Westys in El Cajon, CA
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sherrinonie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: California Westys in El Cajon, CA Reply with quote

Saw some old posts here on the samba that weren't so good regarding this shop, California Westys in El Cajon, Ca. Anyone have some updated/ recent feedback. Past posts were from early 2011 that i've seen so far.. thx
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: California Westys in El Cajon, CA Reply with quote

They Know there Westies and do great remodels of vans. I had a little trouble with them many many years ago and stopped going their. Today I would give them a second chance and see how it works out.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Sherrinonie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: California Westys in El Cajon, CA Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback...After diligent research, i feel confident in giving them a go Smile
Cdub!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: California Westys in El Cajon, CA Reply with quote

Long time lurker; literally just created a profile to reply.

Purchased my westy on the east coast and once delivered here have had Cesar and California Westy's perform a myriad of service from all fluids and hoses to new radiator water pump and stainless lines. In addition to o2 sensor and cat as well as brakes and aux batt system and led south African lighting system.

Every interaction has been professional and Cesar has even made himself available to field calls on the weekend, something I'd never expect from a business owner that operates solely through the week.

I'll continue to have them service my westy, the next big ticket item for them to do is Subaru engine. Feel free to reach me and I'll provide you with further detail but confident you'll appreciate the service and professionalism.

My two cents.
VWpicklebus1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: California Westys in El Cajon, CA Reply with quote

I am considering purchasing a vehicle through this Company via consignment sale. They claim to have done the restoration work. I am buying remotely and trying to do as much background/diligence checks as I can. Does anyone have any recent feedback on this Company or Cesar the owner? Interested in reputation/business practices/quality of work. Thank you!
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: California Westys in El Cajon, CA Reply with quote

VWpicklebus1989 wrote:
I am considering purchasing a vehicle through this Company via consignment sale. They claim to have done the restoration work. I am buying remotely and trying to do as much background/diligence checks as I can. Does anyone have any recent feedback on this Company or Cesar the owner? Interested in reputation/business practices/quality of work. Thank you!

Having dealt with them personally when I purchased my van a little over a year ago, STAY AWAY. The shit they do to the vans. Purchased my van from someone who works closely with them and had them do the whole "mechanic take a look" and had signed off on it. Literal nightmare that we are still working through today.

Silicone shut heads, crank bolt literally hand tight, engine blew within 2 months of ownership, siliconed speedometer cable, and on and on. If you're here in SD, there is a great tight nit community of Vanagon owners here. Seek out Mark with Markswagens -- Services all of SD VW's from his own Vanagon Burnie, which is a mobile shop. Just don't do it.

Edit:
Oh Jesus, you're not here in SD. I wouldn't even bother with them in that case. Cesar was nice, yes, but also just a bullshitter who just nodded his head, said yea Van's great, no issues, blah blah blah. Numerous buyers in SD have had issues with Van's purchased from this shop. I hate doing this, and having to put down a business like this, but if I can save anyone else from the headache and heartache this shop and the seller caused me, it's worth it.

2nd Edit:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

Here's my first post, see the first image of their 'fix' for the leaking heads and my last post about what we ended up doing. [/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: California Westys in El Cajon, CA Reply with quote

Russpauly wrote:
VWpicklebus1989 wrote:

Having dealt with them personally when I purchased my van a little over a year ago, STAY AWAY.

Silicone shut heads,

Sorry, I read your whole post, and I swore you had written "silicone slut heads", which I thought was kinda funny.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
mikeywhatwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: California Westys in El Cajon, CA Reply with quote

I tried to do some business with them this past month. I asked if they could do some minor bodywork and replace all my window seals, they said they’d be happy to but they were busy and to call back next week. I called back the next week and I asked if I could make an appointment and put a plan together to drop off the van. I let them know I would need to take some time off work to get able to drive down from LA to drop off the van. They said everything was all set. I called on the Friday before I was going to bring the van on Monday and they literally said “well I am going to use the window seals that I have for some customers that I’ll make more money on, I mean I’d only make a few hundred dollars on you”. Remind you I’ve had 3 conversations with them for the window seal job, and suddenly the day before I’m supposed to drop it off they refuse to do the work. These guys are truly assholes. I also now realize that $1250 to replace window seals is a bit absurd. I am going to do the job myself.

I say spend your money elsewhere.
Alluvial Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: California Westys in El Cajon, CA Reply with quote

They did the Subaru swap in my van and I have no complaints so far. That was about 2.5 years ago. I had to get it smogged recently and my check engine light wasn't turning on so the smog shop couldn't smog it. I drove right over to California Westy's to tell them about it and they fix it immediately and didn't charge me a thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: California Westys in El Cajon, CA Reply with quote

VWpicklebus1989 wrote:

Ask mark or Robbie to do a PPI For you, plan on $500

A sellers PPI isn’t worth anything, unless the repetition is stellar.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: