Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedhut Fuel Gauge Sender
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Speedhut Fuel Gauge Sender Reply with quote

Looking for advise on a suitable sender for my Speedhut fuel gauge. I know the gauge it programmable for different ohm range senders - all fine and good. However my VW tank T1 has been modified with internal baffles making an OEM style float sender non-usable. I had planned on using the capacitance style "straight tube" sender specifically for this install - only to find out Speedhut no longer offers this type of sender! I see similar senders available from Classic Instruments and Tanks, Inc. - just wondering if anyone has successfully used an alternate vendor sender with their Speedhut gauge?
I also sent an inquiry about this to Speedhut, hopefully hear back soon. Thought I'd ask around here too, I know a lot of buggy owners run these gauges.
Thanks, Jeff

Last edited by GS guy on Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Speedhut Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

I am going to run this sender in a fuel cell. I will have to remove a column of fuel cell foam to make room for it, due to being installed in a true fuel cell. But will be handy racing the NORRA 1000 knowing how much fuel we have left.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-290182

Summit Racing has several lengths and ohm sizes depending on just what you want to use.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedhut Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

Thanks Joe - I saw that one too, looks similar (same mfg?) as the Classic Instruments version. I guess I'll just have to pick one and run it, all close to the same price.
The response from Speedhut simply said they only sell the float type now, not the capacitance type sender. No alternatives provided. More searching indicated they were selling a Centroid brand sender, but cost increases caused them to drop it.
The 8" long 240-33 ohm model will work perfect for my tank and match the default gauge settings.
Jeff
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedhut Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

I can say the 0 to 70 ohm VW sender is difficult to "tune" on the Speedhut fuel gauge, but can be done. The larger the ohm scale, the more accurate the gauge becomes.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedhut Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

Joe, I used one of those sending units in the RCI aluminum tank I put in the Dual Sport Manxter that I fill with foam blocks from Speedway Motors. I just slipped it down in between the blocks so they formed around it. Never had a problem doing it that way, it never cause a problem with the way it read on gauge.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedhut Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

I picked up the Classic Instruments model SN35T8. 8" sender length close to my 8-3/4" tank depth under the mounting hole. Should work well, just need to pick up some longer M5 mounting screws (25mm long should do it). It's a 2-wire hook up, ground and signal. According to my Speedhut wiring instructions, should be a direct wire to the 2 fuel gauge wires coming from the gauge. The (dual speedo and fuel level) gauge is grounded in the main wiring, so doesn't look like it needs and additional ground from sender direct to ground. Just have to try it and see if it works. Fingers crossed!
Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: