Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dash board insulation
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuecker2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: dash board insulation Reply with quote

I know there are a variety of options to insulate/sound deaden the dash board area but I have a couple of questions. what is the thickest material
can be used without affecting anything underneath? do I apply it to the entire underside (pics would be appreciated). other than cleaning, anything else i need to do while I have the dash off? (the foil and instrument panel
has already been replaced)
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: dash board insulation Reply with quote

When I removed the dash to replace the heater blower I didn't put any insulation on the underside of the dash but I put Fat Mat Sound deadening on the nose panel. It's quieting down the noise real good.
kuecker2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: dash board insulation Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
When I removed the dash to replace the heater blower I didn't put any insulation on the underside of the dash but I put Fat Mat Sound deadening on the nose panel. It's quieting down the noise real good.

nose panel?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: dash board insulation Reply with quote

kuecker2 wrote:

nose panel?

the sheet metal below the windshield. put a few pieces of sound deadening mat on that. the trick is working it around the wipers.

BiWerks Design, LLC
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: dash board insulation Reply with quote

Plus 2 on the sound deadener while the Dash is out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: dash board insulation Reply with quote

Make a note of where the heater box is, if you’re going that far , with pictures, and you’ll then know where you can safely add sound control without issues when it’s time to reinstall anything .
Otherwise , work around the heater box. Hiding on the right, is several layers of sound deadener I added a few months ago while rehabbing the heater box.
Between sound deadener over the front tires, inside the Vanagon, and the Nose area deadener, these two areas gave us our biggest improvement in noise reduction up front while driving.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: