Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air dam needed for the front of a Vanagon?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bostonclassics1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Air dam needed for the front of a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Is the stock front plastic air dam needed on a Vanagon? On my 1988 GL Camper, I just ordered the GoWesty steel bumpers. Their video for installation doesn't show them reinstalling the plastic front air dam below their bumper.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Air dam needed for the front of a Vanagon? Reply with quote

I don't have one on my van
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Air dam needed for the front of a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Its just personal preference, for sure. If you are keeping the body cladding, then perhaps it "goes together". I think the '88 was the first year of (North America) Vanagons getting the 'new look'.

I think the cladding and front air damn look cool. But not to the extent to sourcing it all and putting it on my '87.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Air dam needed for the front of a Vanagon? Reply with quote

According to the wind tunnel pictures and a very good technical article that was published in Germany it reduces drag and improves cooling at highway speeds.
I can personally attest to improved cooling with one on. Just to clarify our van rides at the lower Carat height.
The down side is that they drag on curbs etc. I suspect that they are ineffective if your van is lifted at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nikkoleto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Air dam needed for the front of a Vanagon? Reply with quote

how is the air dam connected? bolts or some type of glue
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Air dam needed for the front of a Vanagon? Reply with quote

This thread seems relevant here -

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725644
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Air dam needed for the front of a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Nikkoleto wrote:
how is the air dam connected? bolts or some type of glue

No glue for sure. IIRC, self tapping screws and those c-shaped body panel clips. I took mine off for off road clearance but may put it back on to see if it helps fuel economy and highway handling at all. Of course I’ve been thinking that for about 5 years now and haven’t got around to it yet. My van’s cooling system works just fine without it.
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Air dam needed for the front of a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Get expansion nuts from Home D, they look like little rubber top hats. They fit in existing holes 3/8" I think. Screws for end pieces. Not my idea, found on Samba.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: