Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 10 year old has adopted my Baja bug...
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: My 10 year old has adopted my Baja bug... Reply with quote

My 10 year old son has confiscated the Baja bug over the past 2 or so weeks. He has taught himself how to drive a standard and seems to always have an excuse to drive it... checking cows, seeing what I’m up to when I am working in the field with the tractor, etc...

We have 300 acres and lots of backroads so I’m more impressed than worried.

He has a dirt bike and access to our quad but the Baja is the new ‘thing’...

He has been driving karts since he was 5 and racing since he was 7. He’s a good driver.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 year old has adopted my Baja bug... Reply with quote

When my son was 3 years old, he started claiming my 1961 F100 as "his". It's a long bed integral cab (some folks call it "unibody") with slot mags and a 428 Cobra Jet engine. When he was 7, we ran across a sign in a curio shop that shows a '66 F100 with a caption that says "When I grow up, I'm gonna drive a Ford". That sign still hangs in our hallway and still gets noticed often. He's now 26 and I still have the '61, but he has owned 5 Ford pickup trucks, including his daily driver 2K Ford Ranger pre run truck, and his alternate daily 96 F350 crew cab 4x4 high rider with 7.3liter turbo diesel and a "chase rack" on the back for chasing and pitting offroad race cars.

So I 'get' your son latching onto a Baja Bug. There are vastly worse things for him to latch onto at 10 years old.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 year old has adopted my Baja bug... Reply with quote

We need pic's!
rkwfxd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 year old has adopted my Baja bug... Reply with quote

Good Job Dad.

My son has autism but I started him on a dirt bike at age four. A few years later he was driving our stick shift Samurai about the desert with my guidance. He will never be able to get a license and drive on the street but once my Baja is finished he will for sure get his turn at the wheel out in the desert.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 year old has adopted my Baja bug... Reply with quote

Cool Rick.

I wish my sister in law had that sort of approach to raising her autistic son. But she went full protection mode and now has cut off my wife and I and our son because we "don't invite them to our home to visit", even though for 25 years she has always refused to come to our home because her autistic son "cannot be exposed to an environment that he is not familiar with".

I see your approach as much like in the story of Rain Man when the autistic brother leaves the protective environment, he actually grows and becomes more accepting of and able to deal with different environments. He still needs some protection, yes, but not an absolute isolation from the world.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 year old has adopted my Baja bug... Reply with quote

TonyB wrote:
We need pic's!

I posted a video the other day on the Class 11 Junkies Facebook page...
rkwfxd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 year old has adopted my Baja bug... Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Cool Rick.

I wish my sister in law had that sort of approach to raising her autistic son. But she went full protection mode and now has cut off my wife and I and our son because we "don't invite them to our home to visit", even though for 25 years she has always refused to come to our home because her autistic son "cannot be exposed to an environment that he is not familiar with".

I see your approach as much like in the story of Rain Man when the autistic brother leaves the protective environment, he actually grows and becomes more accepting of and able to deal with different environments. He still needs some protection, yes, but not an absolute isolation from the world.

Rich you are 100% correct. My wife and I decided long ago that we would not be the limiting factor for Dave. Not sure if I mentioned it but he started riding a motorcycle in our back yard at 4. Now, 20 years later, he is 6-2 and 240 pounds and would get seriously hurt if he fell wrong so we have phased out the dirtbikes and he seems OK with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: