Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help identifying an automatic transmission.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianacarey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm from my pics that this is the correct transmission for a 1976 Vw bus? It looks correct but my bus did not have the tranny when purchased. I have been looking in past threads and it looks right but want to make sure before I pull the trigger only to find out it is for a Vanagon. Sorry it is pretty dusty.

Thanks for all of the help I have received so far.

Jason
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

I should know, but for some reason I am baffled when I look at your pictures. That looks like the later model series of automatic transmissions to me. If it came out of a Vanagon then it’s the 010 series or 091 I think?

I think(!) 1975 or 76 got the later model transmission which was used well into the late Vanagon era. My 1973 bus has the early 003 and the 1978 bus has the 010.

The later series automatic transmissions were kick-down modulated from the accelerator linkage, and not vacuum modulated. I don’t see the vacuum modulator on that but I can’t see enough of it in the pictures. It really looks like the later model to me.

One really important thing that I see about your transmission is that the torque converter is held captive by some nylon tie wrap. This is a great idea, because if the torque converter is removed, you can risk upsetting of the alignment of the drive shaft into the fluid pump impeller. If you marry this up to an engine and don’t have that just right, it will crush the impeller and all of your work will be fucked. You’ll have to drop the entire power plant back out and rebuild the fluid pump drive, which is accessed by disassembling the automatic transmission. Enjoy that.

Please read this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8470327#8470327
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

Yeah, later-style 010 auto. Used on many VAG vehicles well into the 90's. Vanagon 010 would have plumbing for an oil cooler, which I don't (can't) see based on your pictures. This thing looks air cooled.
Great, robust transmission that gets a bad rap for no good reason.
brianacarey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I read that link and will learn from it. Thank you.

The guy that owns it said it did have oil cooler lines that he said were installed. If it is a Vanagon tranny will it still mount up properly?

Another problem I have read about is the type 4 case syndrome. I tried to pull up how to check my case but am presuming that If the strainer cover is installed still it has not stripped out? Just don’t torque past 9 when cleaning it?

Thanks.
brianacarey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

He also said it had a manual kick down linkage with it. Hooks to engine. Mine is fuel injected.
brianacarey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

He also said it had a manual kick down linkage with it. Hooks to engine. Mine is fuel injected.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

brianacarey wrote:

That’s just fine, and in fact perfect. It will marry up to the fuel injected throttle body; personally I like the fuel injection better than dual carbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

Not 100% sure - but it looks like it's from an aircooled Vanagon. I am looking at the dipstick tube and linkage rod which look different than '76-'79 Bus parts. Should work in a Bus but you might need some Bus-specific linkage and possibly the dipstick tube.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

brianacarey wrote:

Yes the linkage is the long rod next to your dipstick tube in the photo. It actually belongs on the other side and turned around.

The throttle cable attaches to the lever on the side of the transmission, and then the linkage also attaches to the lever and goes rearward through the firewall and connects to the throttle body on the engine.

Everything seems correct to my eyes. I have the same transmission in my 1977. You may be missing some of the pieces for the forward mount and the bracket for the shift cable.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

I believe the hose connections would be on the same side as the fluid fill pipe if it was a later vanagon transmission but to me it looks aircooled so bus/vanagon same thing at this point

"Growing older, but not up!"
brianacarey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

Great. Thanks for the help folks. I will snag it.

Thanks again.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

with that throttle cable bracket it's a BAY BUS 76-79 automatic.

on a WBX automatic the trans oil cooler lines/ports would be at the front nose mount area. which won't work (well) in a Bay.. but a Bay doesn't put the HP or load on the AT that the WBX does..

a 76-70 Bay has what ~78hp?
a 86-91 WBX is ~95hp.. a %21 increase of HP and some torque over the Bay..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
with that throttle cable bracket it's a BAY BUS 76-79 automatic.

I believe it's aircooled Vanagon. The dipstick tube and throttle link rod tell me that. Not 100% sure but I think this is correct. Aircooled Vanagon auto throttle linkage is almost identical to '76-'79 Bus so that bracket you notice would be the same.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

brianacarey wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I read that link and will learn from it. Thank you.

The guy that owns it said it did have oil cooler lines that he said were installed. If it is a Vanagon tranny will it still mount up properly?

Another problem I have read about is the type 4 case syndrome. I tried to pull up how to check my case but am presuming that If the strainer cover is installed still it has not stripped out? Just don’t torque past 9 when cleaning it?

Thanks.

Don’t sweat this Brian

Remove the strainer and just see if the stud feels firm with just a bit of movement. You can sneak a borescope into the engine if you really want to see the casting the breaks when overtorqued, but you will be fine

If you want visuals on the internals of aType 4 engine, this build, while short on technical details , is a good start.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693726
brianacarey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

Picked it up today. Looks like oil cooler lines were added to the pan. Will probably just try to find a new pan.
Thanks

Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

Naw man, I'd grab a cooler setup from FAS or used on the Samba and keep using those cooler lines, no reason not to
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

Do the 003 and the 010 use the same final drive? They look very similar
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying an automatic transmission. Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:
Naw man, I'd grab a cooler setup from FAS or used on the Samba and keep using those cooler lines, no reason not to

I have no idea how a cooler plumbed into the pan would even work... would require an external pump?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: