Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShawnO11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Hi all....47 years old...lifelong watercooled VW guy here. Decided it was time to dip into air cooled.

I bought this car knowing it was a project. I was hoping the shell was good and I could just replace parts,
put in a hot motor, and add wheels but no dice.

OCD kicked in when I saw some problems in the door jambs and after I pulled the carpet. Decided to strip to nothing
and bring it all the way back up. I told myself I'd never to that again but here goes...

Heater channels and rails rusted.
Entire back of the car hacked.
Both rear quarters welded by a blind 3 year old
Car had been hit hard in the right rear - bumper support trashed
Both wheel wells pinholed and hacked
Luggage tray is garbage
Door sills could have been better assembled with JB weld.

I have a garage, tools, welder, and a blank canvas. I don't know metal work but I've got to start somewhere so here goes.

Please give metal work advice, criticism, parts advice, direction, encouragement, etc... I can take it.

Everybody loves pics....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ShawnO11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

I've looked high and low and can't find a dimension I'm looking for.

This car has been hit hard in the rear. It has a 66 chassis that's in good shape so I feel like where I've roughed the pans in that I have the dimensions close. With all aftermarket parts I'm unsure of the right dimension for the outside egde of the heater channel in relationship to either the edge of the center tube or simply just the centerline of the chassis. I bought the VW workshop manual but it didn't provide any dimensions. I just ordered a Bentley so maybe it will get me there.

Does anyone have an help on this?

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Good luck, you have your work "cutout" for you. I hope you have all the parts, these verts are a $ pit, and hard to come by parts.
Cheers
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Sorry I can't offer more, but my best and only advice would be to use as much of the OG metal as you can. Just cut out and replace the minimum you need to contain the rust.

Good luck

Ted
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Cant find the exact measurement but with these you should be able to use some geometry to find the number you need.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bruce jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Your convertible looks about the same as mine did, back in 1982. The person in the background is my wife, who couldn't believe I was actually spending money on this heap.

Stay with it. Don't get discouraged. You will be happy in the end.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

What brand are those rear wheel on the red bug? They look very familiar but yet slightly different. Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Man that’s serious dedication. Good job. Very Happy
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

^ Agreed.

Welcome to the REAL ragtop VW world.. (most cloth sunroof cars are mistakenly refereed to as ragtops Rolling Eyes ) Laughing

Note.. if you find questionable areas... all that seems hacked .....actually... may not be.

All Karmann produced convertible Beetles started life as a Sedan...

No two are the same.. some areas found once stripped.. can be pretty crude.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448449

I've have owned quite a few pre 68's... I currently own a 61.. will be the last one I "do"..

Nice to see another similar era (58-64) being given at a second chance at life. . Applause

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426481

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449505

No offense meant by this...and Im all for for what YOU like... but if you consider those 4 lugger saw wheels as hot wheels.. ...... please dont.. Laughing

I actually do respect individual decisions.. but an old kustom VW convertible.. deserves bad ass wide 5's

Dont get TOO OCD on it. .or it may turn into a long project.. short enjoyment .. project. ..
Hope I can remember this advice... Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Fri May 01, 2020 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
What brand are those rear wheel on the red bug? They look very familiar but yet slightly different. Thanks

Randar wheels maybe?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ShawnO11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Good luck, you have your work "cutout" for you. I hope you have all the parts, these verts are a $ pit, and hard to come by parts.
Cheers
Thomas

Never met a pun I didn't like. Keep em coming... I've worked super had my whole life. This is not a flip for me. I'm tracking costs to see how much the pain will be but it's more about the journey and learning something.

fl59bug wrote:
Sorry I can't offer more, but my best and only advice would be to use as much of the OG metal as you can. Just cut out and replace the minimum you need to contain the rust.

Good luck

Ted

Noted. Thanks

pondoras box wrote:
Cant find the exact measurement but with these you should be able to use some geometry to find the number you need.

I had seen this pic before but didn't put it together in my head. I used it last night and feel pretty confident now. thanks

bruce jones wrote:
Your convertible looks about the same as mine did, back in 1982. The person in the background is my wife, who couldn't believe I was actually spending money on this heap.

Stay with it. Don't get discouraged. You will be happy in the end.

Sweet. Looks like it only needs a top right? My wife is over it nowadays. 2 or the last 3 VWs I've bought have had the motor and transmission in the floor within a week. I'm pretty spastic on the mechanical end. there are far better people on the internet ( man those people from the Netherlands...) but my stuff turns out decent. There's a fine line between making it nice enough to enjoy and too nice to drive. Thanks bud.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Man that’s serious dedication. Good job. Very Happy

Taking it apart is the easy part right? dang spotwelds

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
^ Agreed.
Welcome to the REAL ragtop VW world.. (most cloth sunroof cars are mistakenly refereed to as ragtops Rolling Eyes ) Laughing

Note.. if you find questionable areas...not all that seems hacked .....actually... may not be.

All Karmann produced convertible Beetles started life as a Sedan...

No two are the same.. some areas found once stripped.. can be pretty crude.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448449

I've have owned quite a few pre 68's... I currently own a 61.. will be the last one I "do"..

Nice to see another similar era (58-64) being given at a second chance at life. . Applause

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426481

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449505

No offense meant by this...and Im all for for what YOU like... but if you consider those 4 lugger saw wheels as hot wheels.. ...... please dont.. Laughing

I actually do respect individual decisions.. but an old kustom VW convertible.. deserves bad ass wide 5's

Dont get TOO OCD on it. .or it may turn into a long project.. short enjoyment .. project. ..
Hope I can remember this advice... Laughing

I'm not trying to set any trends new with this car. It'll be another Cal-look, Porsche Fuch, 2332, 48 IDA car with red interior. Not sure on the body color but something darker with a glossy primer gray pan. It's a look that's been done over and over for a good reason. The car is too hack (wrong chassis, wrong motor, probably rolled down a hill at some point). It's a perfect car for custom.

Agreed on the too OCD. I've seen to many good build threads die off because the owner was too detailed and spent too much time on his forums posts instead of going to work. I try and spend 15 minutes every day on the car. Every day. Large goals are reached by way of small goals. The 15 minutes a day during the week helps prepare for a good 4 hour grind on Saturday morning.

So I cut out the package tray last night. Just roughed it out. I'll get the detailed work out on Saturday with a friend. More pics and thanks again...

ShawnO11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Good day all. Finally getting some traction on this. I appreciate everyone's help.

Progress - PAns welded in. The trick is definitely to drill a 3/8" hole in the pan and then a 1/4" hole in the "frame". This allows the frame to get hot enough for the weld to stick to the "frame" before melting the thinner sheet metal pan. Once I figured that out things went fairly smooth. After 100 welds I'm finally getting a hold of the welding process. I have to still do way too much grinding but I think that will get less and less as I get better.

While tidying up the pam assembly I'm filling all unnecessary holes in the pan. Pic below is the upside down pic of the drivers side near the brake master cylinder. these don't look stock.

Will someone confirm that I need to weld these up?

I've fitted the rails and channels. I had to adjust the holes in the rails but it's all working together well now. The next step is to wire brush and scotch brite the reinforcement rails and new heater channels. I plan to POR15 the inside of the rails and the bottom of the heater channels and than have it all epoxied coated. Then I'll bolt them to the bug and set the front of the body on the car to start lining everything up. There is minimal metal work to the front half of the car but then things get real serious.

Any recommendation on a cheap tool to pull the bearings out of the front beam? I need to get everything blown apart for powder coat eventually.

Hopefully the paint process on the rails and channels sounds good. If anyone has suggestions please chime in. Thanks much. I must be at least 3% finished by now. Smile
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

? Exclamation have you taken, or are you going to have it blasted?
Looks as though you have it sorted out. ?
If it hasnt driven you crazy yet. WAIT, you will be nutz by the time your done. < from experience.
Make a budget and stick to it, the Kabriolett is a money pit. <experiance.
Keep eyes open for correct parts, these things are a jig saw puzzle.
Good luck, well be watching you....its ok if you go Yosemite Sam as you work on it, and other times you'll go cuckoo....bewarn wife.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
bugsontheground
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

Those are original sears raders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FredH17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Hell of a job, but you're nailing it !!

Keep it up, and keep us posted.
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Please keep us posted!
This scaring me! I’ve owned but never driven my ‘67 ‘vert. It needs pretty much everything, but pan,body and engine case are original. Currently working to make it drivable. Winter will be tear down for body work.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Quote:
Those are original sears raders.
Yes. From the gallery; one of Everett B's own images:
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Watching this thread as well and looking forward to updates. After clicking into this thread it hit me that I think I know this car. Is it the black one that was in the Daytona area? I had talked to the guy that had it for sale for a couple of years. Guy was kind of a tool and very vague when I asked questions so never went and looked at it. Sorry to see it’s as hacked as it looks to be.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
ShawnO11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Still steadily moving along. Lots of wire brushing, scotch brite pads, welding patches and small holes and grinding. Did I mention grinding? Smile

Welds are getting better but I still need more experience.

I've disassembled the front beam to the bare parts and plan to mount it this weekend after wire brushing it. Then mount the front clip and line up the doors and set the clip in place with self tapping screws. I want to get everything lined up and then pull the car apart for epoxy in the hidden places before welding the front and rear to the heater channels. The door skins need to be replaced so that will be the next big project. After the doors I will scratch my head and go for the rear which should be the worst of it or maybe the easiest since there will be so many new parts. I think I'll take the easy road and send out the transmission to be built and have a motor built. I've built motors and transmissions before so it would just be more work and drag out the project. I'll personally do the wiring, all the mechanicals on the pan, front end, have the pan powder coated, etc... so it makes sense to sub out some things so that this doesn't turn out to be a 5 year journey. Still need to find a painter that's good but not outrageous.

Anyone have an idea for a budget for a pretty darn good paint job?

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 Vert.... to (s)hell and back again Reply with quote

Since you’re this far in have your considered cutting the pan head off and converting to the “correct” link pin front end?

Locally I know a couple of reasonable painters but nothing in your neck of the woods. I know of a guy in Alabama that’s a VW guy and may be able to point you in the direction of someone.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: