Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 or 74 Model Year??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 or 74 Model Year?? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
...... It may well be that VW held some vehicles back, not doing final assembly until later in the year......

...nice pull.
Allow me to condense here; End of '72 saw VW sales WAY below expectations. A new VW head and a lot of changes starting in the beginning of '73. Water cool, front wheel drives were put on the front burner. Bye bye Ghia, bye bye type4, bye bye square-back. Thus, the beloved Beetle and Bus, all be it brief, were on the chop block.
(If memory serves me correctly, 1972 saw VW start the filing of what would be our equivalent of bankruptcy in Germany, but it's been awhile so dont quote me on that)
My guess? While upping the testing and production dates of the water babies, the immediate VW plant work force was pulled from Bus and Beetle assembly lines, thus delaying the '74 year of air cools and contributing to some mix and matching just save some money.
Again, condensed down.

Support our troops. Not all injuries are visible ones.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 or 74 Model Year?? Reply with quote

Excellent points, Westy.

1973/4 was the dreaded "Energy Crisis" in the US. Gas prices soared from their traditional $.69 to over $1.00/gal!
And gas pumps at the time weren't designed to accept any price over 99.9 cents, so stations started selling gas by the liter, which really confused the poor US drivers.

Is that what us old-timers refer to as "the good old days"? Shocked

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 or 74 Model Year?? Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the interesting and informative responses to my curiosity/trivial question.

When I first got my bus, I did not know about theSamba. And the only on-line info I knew about came from a friend who sent the link below. It is a clinical list of each year of bus production. Maybe some of you know this site:

http://www.type2.com/library/identifi/modvar.htm

As per this discussion, I copied the list detailing bus production from 72-75. Besides all of the technical data, it also lists the number of busses sold in the US for each year.

You'll see that in 72 there were 48,178 imported to the US but in 73 there were 43,533. And then the numbers drop significantly in 74 with 30,166 BUT the numbers really tank in 75 with only 17,679. Perhaps 1975 is the most rare Bay Window bus in the US.

Also, it lists the last serial number range in 73 ending with 223-2300-000 and mine is 223-225-5405. But you'll see that every model year starts and ends with the same serial number range (they just change the third number to reflect the year) so there is no way to tell how close my bus is to the end of the run.

```````````````````````````````````````````
1972 Chassis Number 212-2000-001 - 212-2300-000
Engine Number CA-0-000-001 - CA-0-016-185
CB-0-000-001 - CB-0-056-205
1679 cc, 63 HP @ 4800 rpm
Transmission: 4-speed manual, 002 CM
Fuel System: Solex 34 PDSIT-2, 34 PDSIT-3 carburetors
Imported to U.S. 48,178
Total Produced:

1) Type 4 1679 cc engine introduced (same as Porsche 914, VW 411/412)
with spin-on oil filter
2) Dual carburetors (Solex 34 PDSIT-2, 34 PDSIT-3)
3) Redesigned rear body air intake scoops (squared instead of crescent-
shaped)
4) Larger triple-element taillights
5) Diaphragm clutch
6) CV-joints slightly different
7) Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system
Cool New fuel pump and pump location
9) Alternator introduced, rated at 55 amps (previously generator)
10) Parking brake cable adjustable via equalizer bar
11) Fuel filler cap door moved rearward (out of reach of sliding door)

1973 Chassis Number 213-2000-001 - 213-2300-000
Engine Number CB-0-062-006 -
CD-0-000-000 - Automatic Transmission
1679 cc, 63 HP @ 4800 rpm
3-speed automatic, 003 NB
Fuel System: Solex 34 PDSIT-2, 34 PDSIT-3
Imported to U.S. 43,533
Total Produced:

1) Smog pump added to EGR
2) Access hatch for engine area added to rear cargo floor
3) Deformable body area behind bumpers (Energy Absorbing Support)
4) Paper element air filter
5) 3-speed automatic transmission available as option
6) Bigger front disc brake caliper/pads
7) New worm/roller steering box
Cool Front turn signals moved up under windshield (at ends of air grill)
9) Redesigned windshield wiper arm shafts
10) Last year buses are manufactured in Emden, Germany as well as in
Hannover

1974 Chassis Number 214-2000-001 - 214-2300-000
Engine Number AW -
1795 cc, 65 HP @ 4200 rpm
3-speed automatic, 003 NB
Fuel System: Solex 34 PDSIT-2, 34 PDSIT-3 carburetors
Imported to U.S. 30,166
Total Produced:

1) Rear seat folds down
2) Different gear ratios in manual transmission
3) Engine size increased to 1795 cc (109.5 cu in), 65 HP
4) Larger clutch
5) Carburetor throat size increased
6) Fuel filler cap no longer hidden by flap door
7) Larger brake vacuum booster

1975 Chassis Number 215-2000-001 - 215-2300-000
Engine Number AP-0-027-466 -
ED-0-000-640 -
1795 cc, 67 HP @ 4400
3-speed automatic, 003 NC, 003 ND
Fuel System: Bosch L-Jetronic AFC Electronic Fuel Injection
Imported to U.S. 17,679
Total Produced:

1) Bosch AFC fuel injection introduced
2) Hinges changed on rear engine access door
3) Windshield wiper switch moved to a stalk on steering column
4) New steering column
5) Battery rated at 54 amp-hours

````````````````````````````````````````````````````
BUT speaking of the paint question (about whether mine was all red at one point). I did notice that inside the air (not quite sure of the official term) ducts? Fins? Vanes? on the rear of the bus. Mine are both white on the inside - but the white paint stops at a certain point as seen here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This suggests to me that even if they were all one color at first, they had to have a process to paint the inside of the air ducting as it approaches the engine bay.

Thanks again for all of the VW/historical/economic commentary.

Jeff
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: 73 or 74 Model Year?? Reply with quote

The big event in the 70 was the collapse of the dollar to the German mark.

Once we came off gold and currencies floated , the dollar lost half of its value to the mark, so selling VWs in the US got tough.

Please don’t start with gold standard conservative nut job posts. Grownups here.

Ghia and 411/412 went through 1974
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: 73 or 74 Model Year?? Reply with quote

74 got a larger brake booster.....huh. interesting.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 73 or 74 Model Year?? Reply with quote

Does anyone else feel that? That "TCash" vibe in here?

Laughing Laughing Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 73 or 74 Model Year?? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
... Please don’t start with gold standard conservative nut job posts. Grownups here.

Abscate I am amazed that you would think "gold standard" issues are only related to "conservatives." I know people of all political faiths who still think money grows on trees, and that little leprechauns bring the pots of gold coins ..... Smile

Newsweek published a well documented article on gold reserves back in the 1980's. US gold reserves went ballistic during and after WWII. Those reserves were almost gone when Nixon took us off the gold standard and put us on the whatever you have you want to trade standard. That changed how the rest of the world traded. It also caused massive inflation because we had been paying our trades with gold that was way under-priced. People have been basing trades on all kinds of things for eons. In the So Pacific this was at one time the "gold standard." Gives a whole new meaning to the expression, "you can't take it with you... ."

Last edited by SGKent on Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 73 or 74 Model Year?? Reply with quote

So, what are you trying to say? Think Leprechauns dont bring the pots of gold coins. Confused Crying or Very sad

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 73 or 74 Model Year?? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
So, what are you trying to say? Think Leprechauns dont bring the pots of gold coins. Confused Crying or Very sad

But they bring little seeds that grow into Beetles, Ghias, and Buses. Everyone knows that. Laughing 123 days from planting to harvest.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 or 74 Model Year?? Reply with quote

It’s post Bretton-Woods world. The ability of the Fed to deficit spend in crisis should be glaringly apparent in 2020 in the Covid era.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 73 or 74 Model Year?? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s post Bretton-Woods world. The ability of the Fed to deficit spend in crisis should be glaringly apparent in 2020 in the Covid era.

Only if you have toothpaste on the wall guard with the purple trailer hitch. Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: