Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tweaked Bumpers
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thing68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Both my front and rear stock bumpers have been bent, is there a good technique to straighten them out?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Thing68 wrote:
Both my front and rear stock bumpers have been bent, is there a good technique to straighten them out?

"Tweaked" my bumper but took it to a real body shop to have it straightened. Removed the bumper and delivered it to the shop myself. I believe they used some heat and a press. Had it powder coated afterward. Can't tell it was ever damaged.

"Tweaked"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Untweaked"

jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Mine wasn't as bad a as Semper Dad's but I used a block of wood and a ball peen hammer and no technique.
The bumpers are just stamped steel without a temper, so they respond well to a hammer.
72 Baja
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Looks good! Did you repair or replace the fender?
Thing68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

I thought about a body shop but the prices these guys get now of days may make it unaffordable. I can get two new powder coated bumper from TTS for $874, which would probably be cheaper then a body shop, however if I can get it done myself it would be considerably cheaper. Glad to hear that they are maliable.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Thing68 wrote:
I thought about a body shop but the prices these guys get now of days may make it unaffordable. I can get two new powder coated bumper from TTS for $874, which would probably be cheaper then a body shop, however if I can get it done myself it would be considerably cheaper. Glad to hear that they are maliable.

I removed and delivered the bumper to the body shop. All they did was do was the straightening. Then I picked it up and delivered to powder coaters. Reinstalled myself. All in, I paid less than $250 for the rehabed bumper. El Paso, Texas has more automotive body shops than Seattle has Starbucks so I go a good deal.

Dougster43 wrote:
Looks good! Did you repair or replace the fender?

Fender was replaced. Bumper was pushed back enough to pierce the fender. Almost popped the tire.

Found a set of NOS (real NOS) front fenders in Arizona for about $450. My son picked them up and delivered them. I used the right front and sold the left. That sale almost finance the fender I used.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Mine too was not as bad as Semper_dads, the tip of the bumper only pushed the fender edge in about an inch. Fender work was done on the car with a ball peen hammer and a body spoon (no putty required) cut a piece of orange reflective sign material to cover the crease (and put a "patch" on the other fender to match).
Bumper was straightened out on a press with some heat and no one could tell that I had hit the fence post like a dummy.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Got my rear bumper "tweaked" today by a careless driver.
Summer is over. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Got my rear bumper "tweaked" today by a careless driver.

Sorry to say, looks like way more than a tweaked bumper.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Shocked Damn, Hope you fared better.

Guessing it was "inattentive or distracted" driver playing with his phone.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Semper-
It was a little old lady driving a new Mustang convertible.

She hit me pretty hard. Everything behind the back door (including the "floor" of the engine compartment) is AFU. (She even smashed my Winterburn CDI Crying or Very sad )
Can't shift the transmission, so I hope the frame horns are not wrecked as well.

I hope I can keep the car: I expect to hear from the Hagerty adjuster early next week.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Well, I hope you had high value on it because it one of the nicest I've seen. If it were mine I would have insured it for 20K minimum.

With an "at fault" scenario, would Hagerty go after the other driver's insurance after they settle with you?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

I have to assume that Hagerty will go after Madame X's insurance company.

I have a high agreed value with Hagerty, along with "Precious Salvage" coverage, which means that in case of a total loss, I get to keep the car, along with the settlement.

This was clearly an "at fault" situation; actually, after she gave me her info, she split. The cop told me he would issue a ticket for leaving the scene. I didn't even know that she had to stick around. I didn't call the police; one just showed up.

Anyway, I should know more in a few days, but not knowing is definitely the worst of it.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:

This was clearly an "at fault" situation; actually, after she gave me her info, she split. The cop told me he would issue a ticket for leaving the scene. I didn't even know that she had to stick around. I didn't call the police; one just showed up.

Anyway, I should know more in a few days, but not knowing is definitely the worst of it.

It depends on the state and local laws. Generally in case of a "fender bender/no injury" event, parties just need to exchange information. Not sure what the rules are in your state. Hagerty would want a police report anyway.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Man, that's terrible, now the "process" begins. I'm so sorry, life has a way of reminding that things aren't always fair. Hopefully you didn't take any lumps. Probably lucky the cop showed up, that helps nail it down. Keep us posted. Sad
Thing68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Ouch!, so sorry to see this mondshine.
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that - hopefully you got some good driving time in this summer to enjoy it despite COVID...
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tweaked Bumpers Reply with quote

So sorry to hear that. From experience, make sure you get yourself checked out too. With stuff being bent that bad I am sure it took a toll on your body as well and signs can appear days later.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: