Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1,9 WBX dies when I put full gas
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fojes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: 1,9 WBX dies when I put full gas Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a problem on my vanagon 1,9 DH Digijet with electronic injection.

Problem
When i ride and i put a full gas (for example in 2000 rpm) engine dies inmediately. If i put my leg out of the gas pedal, it runs again. Sometimes it happens, that breakdown is very short, it lasts less then second, but mostly its dead until i put my leg out. If i am ride very gently, everything its ok, but riding to hill is an big issue. With the engine cold is it much better.

What i check or replace
- I cheched temperature sensor and replace him
- Ignition timing is correct
- During breakdown ignition working (testing during ride with stroboskope... but maybe it can be completely incorrect at the moment?)
- I change ignition timing unit, tried put there another distributor
- Throttle position switch works good, i tried to unconnect it and i tried to switching it manualy in cabine during ride
- I change relay of fuel pump and i checked the fuel pressure (2 and 2,5 bar)
- I tried checked fuel pressure during breakdown (college checked it on barometer, still good (2,5 bar)
- I put fuel filter out
- I change air flow meter sensor

If you have any ideas, i wiil be very gratefull because a dont know what i have to do next. We are with my wife on trip to Norway and izs very anoying... so i dont have now all tools and gadget, but if it will be possible, i will try to test it.

Thanks so much!
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

is this an automatic or manual transmission?

BiWerks Design, LLC
Fojes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

It is manual transmission.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Can you crimp the hose from the pressure regulator to the tank? This should increase fuel pressure and richen the mixture. Drive and see if power is improved. Fuel pressure is only one measure. You need volume for power and should measure volume. If driving improves even a little, it’s probably a fuel problem and you know where to start looking.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Fojes wrote:
I have a problem on my vanagon 1,9 DH Digijet with electronic injection.

Problem
When i ride and i put a full gas (for example in 2000 rpm) engine dies inmediately.

- During breakdown ignition working (testing during ride with stroboskope... but maybe it can be completely incorrect at the moment?)

If your Vanagon has a tachometer (RPM display) does the needle drop when the problem happens?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Fojes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Ok, if will be possible, i will try it during the day. And you think crimpt it completely or just a little bit?

Yes, i am sorry i forgoten to write it, RPM does not drop down, so it seems thats the problem is not in ignition switch, because if i turn off by key, RPM drops down.

Thanks!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Fojes wrote:

Yes, i am sorry i forgoten to write it, RPM does not drop down, so it seems thats the problem is not in ignition switch, because if i turn off by key, RPM drops down.

Thanks!

Ok. Since RPM does not drop, if my knowledge of this is correct, that would also indicate that nothing else in the electrical system is interrupting flow of electricity to the ignition coil or ignition system.

Did this problem ever happen before? Were there, are there, any other problems with the engine that happened before?

Edit (additional):

Does the problem with happen consistently?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Fojes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Fojes wrote:

Thanks!

Ok. Since RPM does not drop, if my knowledge of this is correct, that would also indicate that nothing else in the electrical system is interrupting flow of electricity to the ignition coil or ignition system.

Did this problem ever happen before? Were there, are there, any other problems with the engine that happened before?

Edit (additional):

Neil.

Yes, it looks like. I bought the van year ago, and the engine was completely wrong (bad crankshaft bearings, bad piston ring, the probably was running without oil). A rode home around 400 km, and it took 4l of engine oil. This issue appeared maybe about 5 times per trip, only during big rise, but issue was already there.

So i rebuilt engine, but the problem is still here. The van now has ridden 4000km after rebuilt, and the problem appears during every time when i dont push pedal gently. I can ride in high RPMs, but very carefully on gas.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Partially restricted would work. Just trying to make it simple. I’d suggest disconnecting the oxygen sensor while you are trying to figure this out. It could be hiding the problem.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Fojes wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Edit (additional):

Neil.

Yes, it looks like. I bought the van year ago, and the engine was completely wrong (bad crankshaft bearings, bad piston ring, the probably was running without oil). A rode home around 400 km, and it took 4l of engine oil. This issue appeared maybe about 5 times per trip, only during big rise, but issue was already there.

So i rebuilt engine, but the problem is still here. The van now has ridden 4000km after rebuilt, and the problem appears during every time when i dont push pedal gently. I can ride in high RPMs, but very carefully on gas.

Thanks. That information might be helpful for other people in this forum trying to diagnose the problem.

Hmmm.... well, would a vacuum leak at the intake boot cause this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Fojes wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Edit (additional):

Neil.

Thanks. That information might be helpful for other people in this forum trying to diagnose the problem.

Hmmm.... well, would a vacuum leak at the intake boot cause this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I'm wondering if their WOT switch is out of adjustment when they're mashing the gas pedal and that signal isn't happening correctly.
Or, it's a fuel volume thing like others posted..... Think Think
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Fojes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

So i try to crimped hose from pressure regulator to tank and the problem dissapeared! I drove only small distance, because of smell of gasoline (i was afraid about pressure in hoses), but it rode really good.

I am really happy, that i know something new, so thanks so much for this advice. So it look like a problem with fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator or fuel lining. But i dont understant, how it can happen, when pressure during ride is good, its about amount of fuel? Maybe clog fuel lining or tank?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Fojes wrote:
So i try to crimped hose from pressure regulator to tank and the problem dissapeared! I drove only small distance, because of smell of gasoline (i was afraid about pressure in hoses), but it rode really good.

I am really happy, that i know something new, so thanks so much for this advice. So it look like a problem with fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator or fuel lining.

Warning: fuel might come out of this vacuum hose.

Disconnect the vacuum hose (smallest hose) from fuel pressure regulator and inspect it for cracks (leaks) and evidence of fuel. (should be none). If fuel comes out of that hose, the fuel pressure regulator is broken.

If the vacuum hose is ok, you could also test regulator by blowing air gently through that hose into regulator. If you can blow air in, the regulator has failed.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Fojes wrote:
So i try to crimped hose from pressure regulator to tank and the problem dissapeared!

MarkWard is a Van God. That's pretty a impressive thing to just throw out there and nail it.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

You should do a fuel delivery rate test such as called for by VW.
This measures how MUCH fuel is being pumped, hopefully while the pressure stays within spec.
So with a pressure test gauge connected, unhook the return hose from the regulator and connect a piece of hose from it to an empty container at least 1 liter in size.
Then jumper the fuel pump ON for 30 seconds exactly while watching the gauge.
Measure how much fuel was pumped into the container.
The rate should be at least 1000cc per minute or 500cc per 30 seconds.

Bentley page 20.29 has this procedure, without the test gauge that is helpful IMHO.
Also same on page 20.19 for Digijet.

Mark
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Hey, blind squirrels find nuts occasionally. At least you have a place to start looking now. Glad to help. Might need a place to store a van in Europe someday. You build the world you live in.
Fojes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advices! A tried a few thinks, fuel delivery test, that was ok - 0,5l per 18s. I inspect vacuum hoses and they looks good. Same witch the pressure regulator. But i figured out, that i am loosing fuel pressure few seconds after turn pump off. A clamp hose from pressure regular, but it was the same. When i was clamp hose from pump immediately after pumping, pressure stay in the system. So it looks to some problem with fuel pump i think. I will try to look for another and test it.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Fojes wrote:
Thank you all for your advices! A tried a few thinks, fuel delivery test, that was ok - 0,5l per 18s. I inspect vacuum hoses and they looks good. Same witch the pressure regulator. But i figured out, that i am loosing fuel pressure few seconds after turn pump off. A clamp hose from pressure regular, but it was the same. When i was clamp hose from pump immediately after pumping, pressure stay in the system. So it looks to some problem with fuel pump i think. I will try to look for another and test it.
There can be a check valve built into the pump or replaceable at the end of the pump[ older versions had a serviceable valve.]
Get another pump or valve if its available, and check your rest pressure like you did, and see if it holds with the engine off now.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

Based on your fuel pressure readings, I suspect the fuel supply volume is likely ok. When you up the system pressure, the injectors spray more fuel per pulse. That would be an any pulse duty cycle.

If the engine seems to idle smoothly and other than the fuel starvation under load, I would suspect the actual injectors are not flowing to spec. Problem is trying to measure their flow when you are on the road.

It might be worth just finishing your road trip with the return restricted and drivability restored. The worst symptom would probably be poorer fuel mileage.

When you get home, you can tackle checking the injectors or just sending them out for service. The fuel volume test on the system is fairly straightforward, but if you have the family and the van packed, probably not worth it at this point.

Safe Travels.
Fojes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1,9 WBX dies when i put full gas Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Based on your fuel pressure readings, I suspect the fuel supply volume is likely ok. When you up the system pressure, the injectors spray more fuel per pulse. That would be an any pulse duty cycle.

If the engine seems to idle smoothly and other than the fuel starvation under load, I would suspect the actual injectors are not flowing to spec. Problem is trying to measure their flow when you are on the road.

It might be worth just finishing your road trip with the return restricted and drivability restored. The worst symptom would probably be poorer fuel mileage.

When you get home, you can tackle checking the injectors or just sending them out for service. The fuel volume test on the system is fairly straightforward, but if you have the family and the van packed, probably not worth it at this point.

Safe Travels.

Yes, maybe you are right. Probably i finished the trip and measure injectors and try a new pump. So thanks so much for all advices, when i get home, a will let you know, how it ended up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: