Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aux battery for beginners
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The control wire to the 120-902 should NOT be from 'ignition on'.
It should be from a source that is 'off' during starting but on when key on or engine running. This is easy to do. The fuse could be 5 amp.

Thanks Mark, I'll research this for a feed location, I'm sure its covered before but i missed the details.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Also, the 120-902 needs a small gauge ground wire, not shown.

Noted, thanks !!

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The starter motor stud is nearly directly connected to the starting battery so using it instead of the battery is fine, even preferred in this case.

OK, great. Yes, it is so close to the firewall under the back seat that i guess in all reality IS connected to the 'starter battery' from the other end of the cable ... my bad.

Will grommet the hole suitable too to prevent bad things.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

randalieren wrote:
Is there a step-by-step resource out there for putting together a system from scratch?

As you're seeing, so many ways to do all this and IMO, quite easy for an author of a step by step to miss a detail when posting to a forum like this. So, caveat emptor, fuse appropriately, assess wire gauge Amp capacity, YMMV. Wink

I camp solo but used this setup w/o solar for some years. The cig outlet at dash was sufficient but later, I installed a cig outlet at spice rack. It's very useful. The Dometic fridge worked quite well overall.

edit: some notes about this I posted here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...x.#8274577

- "Walmart" aux "starter" battery, isolator, at driver side battery box. Battery to isolator wire run under van as per Bentley.

- Canadian Tire inverter at cabinet face behind driver seat. Most of the time it got used as a crude voltmeter. Wink

- OE red wire in driver side battery box re purposed to supply positive from aux battery to [edited: a repurposed fuse at OE panel to supply power to cig lighter outlet, dome light-kitchen light and Kenwood stereo. Your '84 will likely have a different configuration at OE fuse panel. If your van had a gas heater, there may be spare fuses you could use for this purpose.]

- OE "kitchen" wire in aux battery box connected to aux battery.

I've never done this but as a guess, I bet the OE wiring from cig lighter socket could handle charge input from a typical folding solar panel. About 5 - 6 Amps at most in full sun?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
truepaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

randalieren wrote:

Is there a step-by-step resource out there for putting together a system from scratch?

Ah, we wish ! But as said, there are too many options !

I've been down this rabbit hole a lot recently, since my aux battery died... and suddenly I have no radio or interior lights ! Shocked (Or other "house" stuff, refrigerator, etc). Replacing the battery is the easy part, but I want to expand the system, so now one of my van projects is to see what's in place and figure out how it works.

So in my internet searches, I came across the following article. I recommend it for anyone wanting to understanding the various trade-offs with your auxiliary battery choices:

Design Guide for 12V Systems
https://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertissement/macho-...inverters/

I don't have the electrical training to verify the advice offered, but it fits in well with other readings I've done. It clarified a lot for me ! I hope you find it helpful !
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

ok -I'm a beginner on this too. My Syncro came with 2 Aux batteries. They are regular lead acid deep cycle marine batteries.

i've been reading about the LiFePo4 batteries, and how small they can be, and where you can fit them - lots of good info on those threads.

Currently my system works fine for the little I use the aux batteries. I'd like to understand how to calculate what my needs would be if I went camping for a few days, or a day etc.

Could someone point me to a website or basic formulas for figuring out need?

IE - I've got an Engel Fridge, which supposedly draws 1-2 amps/hr, but I'd also like to be able to charge phones and run a heater in the winter ...and other things..lights, maybe radio - I imagine it is probably pretty simple to make a spreadsheet and just input your loads, I'm just not sure how to enter my loads.

This is probably really obvious to determine my needs/wants but I want to make sure I calculate correctly. So formulas anyone? Ideally I'd replace my 2 big batteries with one small battery - or maybe I only need to run one of my aux batteries - most of the time, and just add the 2nd battery when I do a longer trip.

I've also got a 50 amp solar panel that would theoretically be adding or topping off the batteries - probably not faster than I would use...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

kguarnotta page one of this thread may help, l storyboarded it for someone which may help you think about your parameters. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=718824

You are on the right track to figure out your load which will allow you to make a data driven decision vs winging it with a 100amp battery. Thanks for explaining your situation, some folks just ask what should I do with no info on their usage. It would be like popping on here and asking how much water should I take camping. I have no clue if it's just you camping or family of 4 with a dog going for a weekend or off grid for a week.

You'll need to look up specs for the stuff you run like your Engel. Say it draws 1.5amps running and it runs 50% of the time that would be 12 hours per day X 1.5 amps = 18 amp hours per day. Move on the lights, radio, etc. The formula is simple Volts x Amps = Watts and there are calculators all over online if you need to back into Amps. Some stuff is reported in watts and other stuff is in amps so you may need to use algebra to convert to what you need or use a calculator.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

Just purchased parts to make am aux battery build. Should be here next week. I'll make a thread about the build.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Aux battery for beginners Reply with quote

thanks sswesty...

I'm going to come up with a list of things I may want to be powering and how long I may need to power them. That thread is helpful...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truepaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Battery Chargers Reply with quote

Hi all --

I want to ask about battery charger wiring. I guess the core question is, do (most, all ?) battery chargers work with the battery negative pole wired to ground ? Question

I recently bought an industrial (Iota) battery charger, and started thinking about how to isolate the battery -- I wondered whether both terminals should be isolated. So I called Iota to clarify, and they said yes, disconnect both the + and - (ground) side of the battery prior to powering the charger.

Here's my dilemma: this requirement adds complexity and seems less fail-safe. And maybe this isn't really necessary?

I planned on having a (+) side disconnect switch mounted behind the driver's seat ... now I'm looking at mounting a (+) and (-) disconnect, plus an AC on/off switch for the charger ... and they should be activated in sequence. (Right?) It also is a challenge to wire all this, into an already tight space. (My aux battery is under the sink, so the battery and the distribution wiring is there as well). Yikes !

Anyone with thoughts on this, please chime in !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: