Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
... Buy, borrow, or rent a tranny jack ....

Or not, FWIW...just sayin... Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Where does the original automatic trans cooler go? I think my van has been fitted with an aftermarket one already, which is great to see. There are lines that go from the top of the trans all the way up to the front to a cooler in front of the radiator. From what I’ve seen I don’t think this is stock. How is the original one setup?

1988 Microsquirted, Wolfsburg Vanagon (Sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708000&highlight=

Microsquirt Conversion Guide (Work now Discontinued): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laXykNPbRYS8MT...2imqd2pnx7
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

10degnorth wrote:
Where does the original automatic trans cooler go? I think my van has been fitted with an aftermarket one already, which is great to see. There are lines that go from the top of the trans all the way up to the front to a cooler in front of the radiator. From what I’ve seen I don’t think this is stock. How is the original one setup?

This post shows the original cooler in its factory location: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3666834#3666834 .

The original is plumbed into the cooling system, which can lead to disastrous consequences if the cooler fails.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
10degnorth wrote:

This post shows the original cooler in its factory location: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3666834#3666834 .

The original is plumbed into the cooling system, which can lead to disastrous consequences if the cooler fails.

Thanks! That is exactly what I wanted to see. One of the PO’s put an air based trans cooler in that is plumbed to the front of the van. No disastrous coolant and ATF milkshake for me.

1988 Microsquirted, Wolfsburg Vanagon (Sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708000&highlight=

Microsquirt Conversion Guide (Work now Discontinued): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laXykNPbRYS8MT...2imqd2pnx7
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Pulled my motor last night; here's the stupid question part.

Have the tiniest leak from TC now. Yes, I plan on replacing the TC seal while it's apart because I'm there, but...is it normal for the TC to leak a little because it's no longer pressed against the seal?

Just curious really.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Pulled my motor last night; here's the stupid question part.

Have the tiniest leak from TC now. Yes, I plan on replacing the TC seal while it's apart because I'm there, but...is it normal for the TC to leak a little because it's no longer pressed against the seal?

Just curious really.

If the TC was not leaking previously, then I'd say the fact that it is no longer "centered" after you unbolted it from the flex-plate explains the tiny leak.

Yes, replace the seal while you are there is the right thing to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AKZog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Is there a difference between an 85 vanagon emergncy hazard switch and other model years? I seem to be able to find every model year except an '85.

secondarily: If so is there a hack for using a different year's switch?
BrownEye02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Do the IACV wires need to be plugged in a specific way or is the valve not polar specific?
The clip on mine is gone so I have just the wires exposed. From photos I've seen on google it looks like the yellow wire is on top but I know thats not the best way to judge if its correct. Have a new one on the way but want to make sure I get it wired correctly.

Last edited by BrownEye02 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The wired side of the IACV plug has a slot down the middle of the bottom and a wire clip on top. On the valve itself there's a corresponding bar that slides into the slot. If the slot & bar are pointed toward the rear of the van, the yellow wires's on top. Whether it makes any difference or not... ooops! Time's up!.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

BrownEye02 wrote:
Does the IACV wires need to be plugged in a specific way or is the valve not polar specific?
The clip on mine is gone so I have just the wires exposed. From photos I've seen on google it looks like the yellow wire is on top but I know thats not the best way to judge if its correct. Have a new one on the way but want to make sure I get it wired correctly.

The valve is a simple solenoid coil so it has no polarity.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

AKZog wrote:
Is there a difference between an 85 vanagon emergncy hazard switch and other model years? I seem to be able to find every model year except an '85.

Parts catalog shows one switch from 1984 onward (part #171953235A).
2016 Golf GTI S
BrownEye02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
The valve is a simple solenoid coil so it has no polarity.

What I needed, thanks!!! When I get my replacement plastic clip I won't sweat which wire should go where.
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I’m feeling quite daft with my inability to remember this. I pulled and installed and engine in my van about 2 years ago and I’m getting ready to do it again. However, I can’t for the life of me remember how to separate the auto trans and the engine, I know there’s the 4 bell housing bolts and that on the inside the crank shaft has a plate which bolts to the torque converter. How does the crank plate connect to the torque converter and how do I access the bolts to disconnect the two, I’ve looked around but can’t seem to find an access window or anything.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

in the engine compartment, up by where the black boxes are on the front part, look down, either there is a hole, or a plug on the engine case, there are 3 bolts in there, rotate engine til each bolt can be seen, and remove CAREFULLY

EDIT: and when you do separate the engine from the trans, be super super sure that the pump shaft isn't hanging up between them, its a tiny little shaft in the center of the drive line, and if you put weight on that, you'll be crying dollars out your bung.

EDIT EDIT: oh, that is if you can't get the flex plate 3 bolts out... probably you'll be able to do it the right way and not like some of my sad friends that bent their pump shafts.
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
in the engine compartment, up by where the black boxes are on the front part, look down, either there is a hole, or a plug on the engine case, there are 3 bolts in there, rotate engine til each bolt can be seen, and remove CAREFULLY

EDIT: and when you do separate the engine from the trans, be super super sure that the pump shaft isn't hanging up between them, its a tiny little shaft in the center of the drive line, and if you put weight on that, you'll be crying dollars out your bung.

EDIT EDIT: oh, that is if you can't get the flex plate 3 bolts out... probably you'll be able to do it the right way and not like some of my sad friends that bent their pump shafts.

Gahh! I knew it was something simple! Thanks for jogging my memory, I remember the window now!

BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

A/C blower died.
Removed D pillar cover and found this fried fuse holder, apparently two 20 amp fuses. Holder is melted.
What caused this?

Any ideas?

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
BrownEye02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Where do I go / am I needed? I'm connected to the distributor on the opposite side of the digifant connector. I was spliced to the high oil pressure sender wire which obviously is not right. Removing it corrected my oil light not blinking before startup. Very Happy
Looking at the Bentley wire diagram I only see the digifant 3 wires and main coil wire coming from the distributor, not this wire. The motor starts with no issues even if I'm disconnected.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

That is a ground. Crimp a closed end connector to it and put it under one of the nuts directly to the right. Or anywhere on the engine block.

If you don't have a crimp connector on hand, strip some insulation and wrap it around the stud and then tighten the nut on top of it.

Maybe give the area a general clean up from the amount of oil vapor everywhere.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

BrownEye02 wrote:
Where do I go / am I needed?

A) On a 2.1L, there is no wire in that location. The original purpose of that ground tab was to ground a metal shield on earlier distributor caps, something that was done away with when VW switched to the black plastic grounding shields (grounded via the cap clamps).
B) That wire is a PO add-on.
C) All VW ground wires are brown.
D) Not needed.

🍺
2016 Golf GTI S
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:
A/C blower died... found this fried fuse holder...What caused this?

Could BOTH of the blower fans have seized up simultaneously? Confused

They're the same assembly as the front dash blower, and it's a fairly common
failure mode in that application. In the dash, the bearings are more prone to
outdoor dirt/dust which is what kills 'em...less likely in the AC cabinet, I'd say.

Anyhoo...no real answer, just keeping the conversation alive... <shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 99 of 193

Jump to: