Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

South African Steering wheel identification
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: South African Steering wheel identification Reply with quote

I have what I have always assumed was the SA steering wheel , but I have also heard that they are nearly identical to the Eurovan steering wheel.
Is there any way to tell without taking off the horn piece?
Next question: does this increase the sale-ability of the van ? I am guessing no, because new van owners are not likely to have any idea that it is not even the stock wheel.
I am about to turn my van loose on craigslist but thinking I would be better off selling the awning and a few other bits separately.

If it were me and I was buying my first van, I think I would rather have a discounted price and then add options as I saw fit.

Do I need to remove this thing to find a number somewhere? As I recall its a bit fussy to get the horn cover back on.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: South African Steering wheel identification Reply with quote

I'd just sell it with the wheel installed and make no mention. You could open a can of worms accidentally. If it's nice, I'd list it on Bring a Trailer. Vanagons are doing well at the moment. Only takes 2 that want it. Craig's list tends to be bottom feeders and not worth the time to deal with potential buyers that have no money and worse just want to talk for hours about VW's
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Steering wheel identification Reply with quote

What's called the SA wheel (the one in your van) was also installed in the early EV's. The pre-airbag EV's also had this one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tobias Duncan wrote:

I am about to turn my van loose on craigslist but thinking I would be better off selling the awning and a few other bits separately.

If it were me and I was buying my first van, I think I would rather have a discounted price and then add options as I saw fit.

Opposite for me: I'd pay a bit more to have the accessories already mounted.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Steering wheel identification Reply with quote

US eurovans have the 4 spoke steering wheels but there are 2 spoke steering wheels for the platform overseas. The ones that people want are factory leather wrapped as yours appears to be.
People are always looking for that steering wheel, I would sell it separately if you want the money that it is worth rather than bundling it into the value of the vehicle.
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Steering wheel identification Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
US eurovans have the 4 spoke steering wheels but there are 2 spoke steering wheels for the platform overseas. The ones that people want are factory leather wrapped as yours appears to be.
People are always looking for that steering wheel, I would sell it separately if you want the money that it is worth rather than bundling it into the value of the vehicle.

This ^....and those OEM floormats are very coveted by some.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: South African Steering wheel identification Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and advice guys.
Is there any special trick for pulling off the center piece / horn/ cover thingy ?
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: South African Steering wheel identification Reply with quote

gonewesty4good wrote:

This ^....and those OEM floormats are very coveted by some.

They are coveted by me for sure. These are the best mats I have had in any vehicle . Pretty sure they are after market though right ? I cant believe how soft and pliable the rubber is after all these years.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Steering wheel identification Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:

They are coveted by me for sure. These are the best mats I have had in any vehicle . Pretty sure they are after market though right ?

Yes
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Steering wheel identification Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
Is there any special trick for pulling off the center piece / horn/ cover thingy ?

All I remember about my EV wheel's cover was that it looked like you were suppose to pry in one place, but if you did you'd break the plastic tabs. The actual area to pry is down below the metal backing on the cover, not between the plastic and the metal. I think.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: South African Steering wheel identification Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Tobias Duncan wrote:

All I remember about my EV wheel's cover was that it looked like you were suppose to pry in one place, but if you did you'd break the plastic tabs. The actual area to pry is down below the metal backing on the cover, not between the plastic and the metal. I think.

Now I am worried!
I also have a distant memory like that when I installed this thing. I have a weird feeling that once i pull that cover off, I will see where i bungled it up the last time.
I wish I had taken a video of it
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: South African Steering wheel identification Reply with quote

Meh, i just grab the piece wherever and pull.
The part number on my SA steering wheel under the cover is 22S419091C
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: