Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
We've seen from Covid that a month or two of SIGNIFICANTLY fewer cars on the road does absolutely nothing about local air quality, reminding us that loosely-regulated industry pollutes FAR more than modern vehicles.

Could you expand on this a bit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
airschooled wrote:
We've seen from Covid that a month or two of SIGNIFICANTLY fewer cars on the road does absolutely nothing about local air quality, reminding us that loosely-regulated industry pollutes FAR more than modern vehicles.

As a foot note to Robbie's observation, the sky here in Eastern Sacramento County has been substantially more blue this year without the Bay Area traffic pollution, and jet contrails. Maybe San Diego got some of the Riverside County fire smoke although usually San Diego gets its air from the Catalina eddy which brings in Pacific Ocean air from offshore. Eastern San Diego County gets the smog from San Diego City trapped up against the mountains east of El Cajon. I can remember as a young adult seeing a smog layer in San Diego County starting in the early 1970's but prior to that it was almost non-existent in San Diego County.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
airschooled wrote:

Counties and cities with antiquated infrastructure and large industrial sectors are not seeing air cleanliness that other cities are seeing:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/...ot-so-much

From the last section: "If you take all the cars off the road and it doesn't put a dent in your emissions inventory, then probably cars are not making up a lot of that inventory…"

I'm implying that cars have come a LONG way since the '70s, so even though people see cars as "the big polluters" they are not really, anymore. In Southern California, trucks; in the Midwest/East, power plants. Commuters in their ULEV sedans aren't the problem.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Don’t forget, there’s California, then there’s the rest of the country. I had to go Boston for DHS training in June, while the visible air quality there’s is not significant during normal times, the smell definitely is (Boston has a decent public transportation system). My June trip was the first time in 45 years I could walk by a bakery in Southy and actually smell the goods.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

according to that NPR article, the way I read it, both Archie Bunker and Meathead are alive and well. Laughing
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

I found this set of injector seals in my stash, which has a lip. When installed as on the left injector, installation is MUCH easier since the seal sits completely in the bracket. For years I've thought the large injector seals were not shaped right, and skew the seal before it's compressed into place, like on the right injector. (Also, aren't these new phone cameras amazing??)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Details are important, see, like this Inspector Otto signature on the left tin, which I masked off for historical preservation. Used up my old stash of rattle can gloss black out of boredom, waiting on the last shipment of gaskets and hoses. I like to do the entire installation in one push to avoid missing actually important details…

Free Air-Schooled sticker and beverage cozy for the first one to answer what the stamp really means.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

The stamp was a form of quality control inspection approval correct?

I.O. "in Ordnung" engine checks out OK off the production line
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

How's the conversion coming along?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
How's the conversion coming along?

I wish I had better news… But the last piece, (the DVDA throttle body,) will be picked up over socially-distant coffee tomorrow morning. It's funny, when you can't bolt the TB to the plenum, EVERYTHING is at a standstill. I have the pump mounted on a sweeeeet reproduction mount from the classifieds here, (will post the link as soon as I find it…)

Started cleaning the rest of the tin this week. Owner did not want to dig so deep as to repaint the upper cylinder tin and firewall like I wanted to. Crying or Very sad

Replaced the plugs because dual carburetors…

Going to wax those OG tins tomorrow, and refresh the TB before the Big Haul…

The automatic is presenting special challenges, with some farm-implement throttle cable connection from the progressive carb… The blessed factory automatic "spring-loaded" connector was in place. Went to the hardware store today and got some assorted springs and washers to recreate the factory kickdown compliant throttle body assembly… Wish me luck!

Also got my Covid test done yesterday… Wish me luck!
Robbie

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

McintoshType2 wrote:
The stamp was a form of quality control inspection approval correct?

I.O. "in Ordnung" engine checks out OK off the production line

Winner! Yes, in Ordnung is the equivilent of OK or QC on an engine. Check your PMs'
Robbie.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Not a lot to do waiting on parts… For some reason, this donor system had all matching parts except the double relay, which is a bummer because I really like the look of the OG metal relays… Crying or Very sad

Today was the Day Of Goodies.

Waiting on ONE more parts delivery, I was still able to install the bulk of the FI system.

Once the heat let down, I was able to run the wiring harness in the stupid '78+ spot behind the plenum… So uncivilized…

If anyone has questions about any of this process, please ask! I don't like grabbing my phone with dirty fingers, so I don't take nearly as many pictures as I intend to… The build up was pretty routine, something like:
TTS
Spark plug wires, (occasionally removed for re-routing, never touching!)
Fully-assembled plenum/TB/AAR bracket
AAR, with short hose
TS2
Intake runners with hoses pre-installed
Vacuum lines
S-boot
Air hoses

Honestly, I never remember when the best time to run the wiring harness is. On earlier cars where it runs in front of the plenum, I think it should be installed earlier in the process. On the later setup like this, it almost doesn't matter when you run the harness. If this was my personal car, I would really like one of Kyle's harnesses, but the harness I had for this conversion was the nicest OG harness I've ever seen for sale, and it was cheap.

Tomorrow will see the pump, lines, and AFM/filter installation. Should be good to fire up after that and begin toooooning.

Robbie

andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Remember this little "do-dad" that was secured to Big Emma?
An Auto Trans Temp Switch.

I didn't see it in your pile-o-stuff for the conversion. Need one?

Thanks to Tcash for diagram and part identification
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Andrew, you're a good fella!

Looking good Robbie. I'm sure I'll have some questions for you, customer just dropped off a 79 California emissions Auto Westfalia.

With a wonderful transmission shutter and 3 cylinders attempting to make entering the shop bay easier Laughing

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Ah, the legendary '79 CA thermal reactor.
At 14.7 stoich it runs hot enough to make it's own plasma! Razz

Bunch of great info here.
Years ago, i was the only one on earth who cared about the mysterious '79 CA.

Good thing i don't work on these things for a living;
I'd never be letting the customer decide anything.
Seeing all the goo stuck to the fan grille,
Can only guess what's between all of cooler/cylinder/head fins.

Was trying to reach thru my monitor and take those tins off! Shocked

It's only a few tin screws.
But, yet, they pay you to paint and polish the tins?? Eh?
Guess you have to draw the line somewhere.

"Normally I'm in the "don't buy parts that they won't check" camp, but the CA-spec emissions requirements are way too narrow to pass without a good 3-way cat."
Maybe they've changed the levels/law, but i can get thru a CA smog (visual notwithstanding) in our area without a cat on an otherwise stock motor.

Best thing about a '79 CA setup is that you can un-plug the O2 sensor and run it open loop like an earlier bus.
Tune it without the sensor to your favorite rich/cool/dirty live-a-long-time settings,
Then plug in the 02 sensor to get thru smog.
When it gets too hot from running hard at stoich, unplug the sensor and watch your CHTs drop way way down before your eyes..
(I put mine on a switch Cool )
Here in cool Santa Cruz, i usually run it plugged in because we just sit in traffic or drive two-laners by the cool coast.

No way I'd leave it plugged in on a loaded highway trip.
The heads would melt into liquid and run onto the street! Laughing

Great build.
Love to see all of the parts i used to put in my pockets at the PNP BITD. Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Awesome work Robbie! Hey where'd you source those silicone intake and air hoses?

airschooled wrote:

Today was the Day Of Goodies.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

mikewire wrote:
Awesome work Robbie! Hey where'd you source those silicone intake and air hoses?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1988499

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2325993
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response, Tim! Do you love Volkswagens? Think music is cool? Are you looking for an unpaid summer internship? Air-Schooled is now interviewing for a Reply Response Time Coordinator! Laughing

Clatter, they are not paying me to clean and paint the tins. I'm a special snowflake when it comes to getting my hands dirty, so I clean every engine I work. I would rather spend an hour cleaning an engine once, than an hour scrubbing my arms every time I work on it. They are not paying me to do a lot of things, but if I want to spend an entire afternoon making sure all the hose clamps are planar because five months of work dropped out from under me and time and money are now illusions, I'm gunna.

So it's been a while…

If you love the size 13 ABA clamps but can't get them over the good 7mm BugHaus hose:

I'm waiting for the cat and other exhaust components to get here, but I thought I'd use this week to dial in the tune before the cat gets here… No-start #1 was the damn fuel pump wiring having the same size rings for both lugs… Glug glug, goes the gas tank… Startup #2 ran with sad aplomb on two cylinders.

Link

Startup number three was the winner… We'll play a game later for another chance to win an Air-Schooled Merch Mailer. Why were cylinders #2 and #4 dead? Listening to the "repaired" second half of the video, you'll hear that there was barely any lifter tick, so my hint is that hydraulic lifters sitting for a month did not cause this. Happy guessing. Cool

Got two good pretests in today, but forgot to grab a pic of the printouts. The first test failed "Gross Polluter" status, for being 3X over on CO, 4-5%, and double the limit of HC. NOx passed/failed the low/high by hairs. The second test passed CO with .3/.4%, failed both HC but got much closer, and passed NOx with ~1,100ppm readings. The new cat should get us way under the HC limit and help with NOx too; I just want to make sure we're running this engine efficiently enough to work the cat properly, without overheating it and making Magnaflow sad. It is a weekend cruiser/show car, not a Road Warrior, so daily driving using a smog tune won't be an issue.

Robbie

(Damn parcel trays won't let the parking brake lamp switch off… And the tach is whacky, gotta get a diode in line… And the steering wheel is crooked…)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

make sure that those "gross polluter" tests are pre-tests and don't get sent in, or it is a world of grief. Instead of a bi-annual test they will turn it into an annual test.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
make sure that those "gross polluter" tests are pre-tests and don't get sent in, or it is a world of grief. Instead of a bi-annual test they will turn it into an annual test.

Oh but of course! I do all these paid pre-tests, because a hundred bucks now sure beats a headache every year going forward. I am still trying to get the car as clean as possible pre-cat, while still being smoothly drivable for weekend use.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 carburetor to fuel injection conversion Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Thanks for the quick response, Tim! Do you love Volkswagens? Think music is cool? Are you looking for an unpaid summer internship? Air-Schooled is now interviewing for a Reply Response Time Coordinator! Laughing

Since I can't play any gigs these days, sign me up. VW Logo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: