Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

distributor info
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: distributor info Reply with quote

So getting back into A/C VW's after 35+ years away. The landscape has definitely shifted LOL.
I'm trying to get caught up on what good centrifugal distributors are available. This would be for a small displacement engine (69 crank by either 87 or 90.5 cylinders) mild cam and dual zenith ndix carbs. Years ago I had either an 009 or 010 distributor, and had also used a Mallory dual point unit. I have neither of those available. Reading through the various threads, there are some mentions about the 010 and 019 distributors being the best, but those are rare and expensive these days. And I've read the new 009 substitutes are pretty crappy?
So what would everyone recommend?
Thanks!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

What carb(s)?

Rare... there's plenty of them out there. Expensive, I guess compared to the price of a Chinese 009 for $50.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

I guess you missed that...dual Zenith 32 NDIXs.

I have found some Bosch 009's on ebay in the $50 range...not too bad. But original 010 and 019s seem to be going for $200 plus for used ones, that may or may not need work.

One of the things I would like to know is how good (or bad) the substitute 009s and 010's are Like the Kuhlwerks "010", EMPI, etc. Anything about the Pertronix distributors?

I would like to stick with new, but not at the expense of a reliable, good working unit.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
One of the things I would like to know is how good (or bad) the substitute 009s and 010's are Like the Kuhlwerks "010", EMPI, etc. Anything about the Pertronix distributors?

The aftermarket 009s are made in China and are crap. They have poorly made internals and the curve varies from unit to unit.

The Kuhltek 010 is not a 010, it's a 009 in disguise.

Quote:
Vintage Style Cast Iron 010 Distributor Price: 180.00
KUHLTEK MOTORWERKS - VINTAGE STYLE CAST IRON 010 MECHANICAL ADVANCE DISTRIBUTOR WITH BAKELITE CAP
This is the ALL new Cast Iron reproduction 010 style mechanical advance distributor. Complete with authentic dark brown bakelite cap.
This distributor is curved like the popular 009 distributor with has 22 degrees advance see all my other ads on samba for more VW parts buyers please add(5% for Pay-Pal thanks I normally ship on Friday's. so please be patient when ordering.

Yes the 010 are not cheap but they lasted 50+ years and with some TLC can last another 50 years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

If you want new the CB MagnaSpark is the best dollar value available today.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2010.htm
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys.
I'm definitely of the mindset of "buy once cry once", so it sounds like I'll just have to work this price range into my budget. I hate spending any money on crap that ends up getting replaced with what I should have bought in the first place.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

With a set of Zeniths a CB magnaspark may look out of place but will perform very well. Probably the better value and quality option if you don't want to go for an 010 or 019. That, or one of the MSD clones and an ignition box would be a great way to go too if you don't mind doing a bit more wiring and set up.

I set up a Magnaspark for a friend a couple months ago, and all we did was swap out one of the included springs, time it, and it worked perfectly. No surprises or issues. It does use it's own wireset or the MSD style sets.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

I run the CB Magnaspark II in my 65's 2028 engine and it works well.

I also have one of Glenn's distributors and it is top notch. Yes the restored 019's and 010's cost more, but they are great distributors

The new 009's are a crap-shoot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

I buy every Mallory HyFire I can find.
I convert them to Pertronix trigger. (if they aren't already optical trigger).
You can still buy the parts to make them like new.

Glenn likes the Cast iron O.G. Bosch units. they are nice. I have seen his work first hand. Top notch...

I like old Mallory stuff.

MSD is good.

CB Perf (MSD clone) is good as well.

Just about anything can be made to work well with enough work.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

What about original Bosch 009s? There seem to be a fair number of them out there at reasonable prices.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

The original Bosch 009's are much better than the China clone ones. You can get replacement parts from the distributor guys on here. Really, you will probably just need some fiber shims (maybe a few metal if yours are damaged) and the internal felt that goes inside the shaft, and the felt "pill" for the top of the shaft.

I left the spring weights attached to the main shaft and just ran it through the ultrasonic machine. Lubed everything up, new oiled felt, set end play, and new points etc.

I'll probably get flogged for doing it "half way" but there was very little if any wear on the parts, and after the ultrasonic, everything came out super clean. Works good.

But I've gone to a SVDA Bosch unit since. Even better with a stock carb.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

I've done a number of 009s, but the build quality of the cast irons is far superior.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
What about original Bosch 009s? There seem to be a fair number of them out there at reasonable prices.

They're ok, not ideal by any means. I always kept one timed to the engine on it's own clamp as a spare, or as something to run while the usual distributor was out for whatever reason (cleanup, recurve/rebuild, etc)

I feel like every VW guy should have at least one 009 handy, they are useful in their own way.

An SVDA will work much better if you have a carb or duals that are ported to use it. The Magnaspark and MSD styles work better than an 009 and are easier to adjust. The cast irons have better curves out of the box.

There is even the VJU4BR8/040 cast iron SVDA, same mechanical curve as the 019 with an adjustable vacuum advance can. Very handy for a mild or performance daily driver setup. Still reasonably affordable too- a good usable one can be had cheaper than an 019 and will have more functionality.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: distributor info Reply with quote

Ah, excellent info guys. I found an 009 at a good price that I'm going to grab as a starting point. The motor is probably the better part of a year away from being built anyway, so I can keep my eyes open fr something better in the meantime. The Magnaspark would be an easy choice it seems.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: